Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

New TruckersMP gamemode

GbmbRnmf

Project reunion

THE CONCEPT

What if you could use your unique American International LoneStar in CD Road,or drive around in a fast Scania R730 in the Tucson Raceway and even take a transcontinental job from Europe all the way to America and go back doing the same route,what if the TMP Staff instead of having to operate four different servers in two different continents for two different games they could combine them in one and make it so people that have both ATS & ETS2 can enjoy both of them without having to leave their game or even the server,sounds awesome right?,well that the idea I have for a new game mode in TruckersMP.

HOW IT COULD WORK

Well in my opinion the way it should work is as follows:For the people that only have one game or the other they will only be able to buy the trucks they have on their respective game and will only be able to drive around on the map of that game,but if someone that has both games comes along using the truck from another game they will be able to see their truck and trailer even if they don't have that game.

For example:I have both game on steam and I open TruckersMP and I fell like using my Western Star 5700XE and taking a job using the Reefer Trailer from Duisburg all the way to Las Vegas passing CD road on the way there,for people that only have ETS2 they will only see my truck and trailer but they won't be able to buy them if they only have ETS2,and when I get to the port in Calais im able to chose to go to Dover or Tucson that also has a port and from there I go to my destination,well anyways I finish that job and decide to take another one going back,but this time I want to use my Renault Magnum and a ETS2 Trailer,well the people that only have ATS will be able just like the guys that only had ETS2 to see my truck and my trailer but they will only be able to buy them or go to Duisburg if the have ETS2 as well.

WHY WOULD THAT BENEFIT BOTH SCS AND TRUCKERSMP

In my viewing SCS would greatly benefit from this,first of all because it would boost sells of both games simultaneously, because people that only have ETS2 will eventually see someone that has both games going around in their Kenworth W900 and think "yeah I need one of those" and go as fast as possible to buy ATS on steam just so they can drive in one of those as well,and It could work the other way around,someone that only has ATS will see a Volvo FH16 near Las Vegas and say "yeah I need one of those" and go rushing to buy ETS2 on steam just so they can drive in a Volvo.

It also benefit the TruckersMP Staff because instead of having to pay 4 (not including the arcade and promod one) different servers they would only need to pay for 2 (one for each continent) or even just 1,which would take maintenance costs down and server costs down,they could also find a new feature and reason for people to become their Patreon.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG

Although sounding amazing I don't think its even possible or fisable to do this,both games although they use basically the same engine they have some key differences,and implementing then in one game or the other would be really hard,and everytime a new update would come around it would f*ck everything up,the servers would also need to change quite a lot to make it work,and if the server went down for some reason it would be impossible to play the game,and I think maybe licenses from the trucks manufactures would be huge problem to go around

CONCLUSION

Well that's basically it, my idea is to combine both games so that the player could travel between different continents and use trucks from one game or the other without having to leave the game or the server.

Ps:sorry for wasting your time reading this nonsense but I wanted to share around this idea I had the other day while drunk,sorry for my bad English and bad grammar,hope you guys have a nice day.Bye!

I'm sure there would be tons of licensing issues if this was implemented. SCS gets licenses for the trucks to be in a certain game. If we exported an ATS truck and put it into ETS2 without a valid license, I'm pretty sure that is copyright/trademark infringement. 

Server costs wouldn't go down because the servers would need a higher capacity, also I don't think we are struggling financially considering we bring in almost $8000 per month on Patreon. 

2 hours ago, GbmbRnmf said:

yeah I know I even pointed that out towards the end there,but isn't TMP a mod anyways?

To clarify, it's the truck brands that would be able to sue TruckersMP if this was implemented. All trademarks are held by the respected company. This is why the original ETS used generic names, because they did not have the appropriate licenses. 

I would imagine acquiring the licenses would be too expensive for how much money TMP pulls in. 

Alongside what @Flaming. has said with licensing (keep in mind with trucks its not even one license per-brand most of the time, its per model and even if TruckersMP wanted to license the older models such as the old VNL they probably couldn't), the files for players who don't own ATS and were expecting to see them on ETS2 would have to download at LEAST another 700-1000 MB of data (for just the truck models, not even tuning parts, paintjobs or trailers) which they already don't have the legal permission to distribute themselves.

SCS has in the past removed mods that port ETS2's trucks to ATS and ATS's trucks to ETS2 from the steam workshop and their forums because they don't want to get in trouble with the companies, it wouldn't set a very good look for TruckersMP.

The reason TruckersMP is able to use the trucks as they are now is because its ONLY a layer on top of the pre-existing game, which doesn't require licenses from the truck brands. Mods that involve truck brands the mod makers themselves haven't licensed are absolutely infringing on trademarks and copyrighted stuff (especially the paid ones), they just skirt a fine line of either not being noticed or not being popular enough for the brands to care.

Of course, I and most players would love for this idea to come to fruition but unfortunately its far outside the scope of TruckersMP and probably even outside the scope of SCS to pull it off

24H4oa0.jpg

1. One can't use or see content that one doesn't own unless the TruckersMP developer creates a model that represents the missing content.
    Depending on the availability of DLCs, American Truck Simulator can contain up to seven truck brands, 13 truck models, up to 30 trailers, and countless configuration options.
    Who is supposed to create this many models to be used in the case of missing game content?

2. The European road network hardly provides enough space to carry the often significant bigger American rigs. This would exacerbate an already tense traffic situation in and around Duisburg and Calais.

Hmm, an interesting suggestion. Although in my country they use both American and European trucks.

I should note that using a full American hitch will be very problematic to park and turn on the roads, using a European trailer in an American truck will improve things a little, but for most European roads, American trucks will be problematic to use in full.

@Flaming. @P h o e n i x what could be done to go around trademark issues is doing something both SCS and TMP staff already do remove/modify the logos of the trucks,SCS does that with the NPC cars and also sometime as @Flaming. pointed out did that with older games like ETS1,GTS,UKTS,T&T and older versions of ETS2,TMP staff already does the same thing with the Scout CAR and in a way with the ai drivable stuff as well,what could be done is,if you open TMP using ETS2 only the trucks in ETS2 will have logos and the ATS trucks will not have them and vice-versa. @P h o e n i x don't we all already download stuff everytime we install TMP for the first time or a new update comes out?. @blabberbeak 1-just get the data from both games and modify them by removing the logos of the trucks and make the player download them,2-isn't that the reason why we all love calais and duisburg anyways?because it has traffic?,and also what could be done is something I think that has been overdue for quite sometime now a CD ROAD REWORK.

• GbmbRnmf changed the title to New TruckersMP gamemode
6 hours ago, GbmbRnmf said:

@Flaming. @P h o e n i x what could be done to go around trademark issues is doing something both SCS and TMP staff already do remove/modify the logos of the trucks,SCS does that with the NPC cars and also sometime as @Flaming. pointed out did that with older games like ETS1,GTS,UKTS,T&T and older versions of ETS2,TMP staff already does the same thing with the Scout CAR and in a way with the ai drivable stuff as well,what could be done is,if you open TMP using ETS2 only the trucks in ETS2 will have logos and the ATS trucks will not have them and vice-versa. @P h o e n i x don't we all already download stuff everytime we install TMP for the first time or a new update comes out?. @blabberbeak 1-just get the data from both games and modify them by removing the logos of the trucks and make the player download them,2-isn't that the reason why we all love calais and duisburg anyways?because it has traffic?,and also what could be done is something I think that has been overdue for quite sometime now a CD ROAD REWORK.

But we can not take SCS's model trucks and change the logos. Any car we use here for lets say alternating vehicles are unaltered from the outside. The Scout car is a model made for TMP by someone. The bus is a model made by someone that we can use. Most of the things we use in game to change things like cities, are either SCS stuff already in there or stuff created by us. We would not be able to take an ATS truck made by SCS and then change the logo as we dont own the rights to that design and truck and so cant really change it. If we where to do that we would need someone to recreate every single truck of ETS2 and ATS. And that is just not very viable.

While a good concept in theory, there's too many issues that will prevent this from happening.

1. How would TMP enforce restrictions to those who only have one game? I feel like hackers could bypass this and have their Scania in Texas.
  2. Neither game has a finished map. Even with Oklahoma & West Balkans on the horizon, ATS still has about 37 states to go (which will probably be another 10 years). ETS 2 still has older map regions to update, in addition to the remaining missing map like Ireland. 
  3. The amount of required trial and error invested to make sure it can be released for the players. TMP Admins should be focusing their efforts on giving us new content, (hopefully adding my ai cars idea for ats), planning out additional real op's, and other things. There's also no promise of success and they may have to scrap the idea.
  4. If SCS is even planning to link up all trucking games by some port script, it would not only take time, but they still have to develop and acquire licenses to make those games. Asia, Australia, Africa, South America, Central America, Canada. ProMods would only improve upon the map, not do SCS' work for them.
  5. Community Deterrent. ATS already has a low pop since 2017. What other incentive could this give players to leave CD, leave Las Vegas, and venture the full scale dual maps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator.

Archived