Players Treating ETS like a Race

Snow Sheltie

This has been an ineresting conversation I've had with several random players when it comes to speed. I tend to stick at or within 5 km/h of the posted speed limit. Almost every player I come across seem hell-bent on driving as fast as they possibly can (and I'd guarentee you they'd be attempting 200 if the game would let them). The few times I've actually conversed with players over the topic, they are always perplexed that I would be driving the speed limit in the first place and a couple of them stated their goal in game was to get to their destination as fast as possible, almost like they're playing a racing game.

Playing a racing game; this would explain much of the wreckless behavior seen out of so many players in ETS. Instead of trying to enjoy the ride or up the ante by decreasing truck/trailer stability for the challenge, they simply want to race around the map as fast as possible. This is my personal observasion and opinions, if you think otherwise or have other reasons as to why people drive like they live in Chicago, let me know.

I've seen a lot of players drive like it's a racing game and more often than not they've been reported (in-game or web) Eventually they'll learn that this is not the place for that type of driving and drive correctly.

A lot of them can’t self justify it being a simulator. I have ran into a few who where just outright blowing the speed limit. Now they’re bug abusing and trying to get around the server limit. When ever I report people for extreme recklessness. My report times out in game. You’re better off grabbing some recording software that is third party. Catch them breaking rules, post it in an online forum report. Sent the video to YouTube or where ever. 

I have no idea how people in Chicago drive like, but what you are describing has plagued TMP since its inception, more or less.

Over time it has been attracting more and more people with no interest in truck simulation while simultanously driving off simulation players because of woderful experience they get.

Today, only the most stubborn simulation players remain active on TMP and are an incredibly rare encounter, the bulk of the community consist of racers, with some trolls here and there. And ATS is no different, there's just way less players to notice, when you meet 2 people in 1500 miles.

I myself mostly return during WoT events, cause I'm probably masochist.

4 hours ago, xXBlazieXx said:

A lot of them can’t self justify it being a simulator. I have ran into a few who where just outright blowing the speed limit.

It's not the speeding in and of itself that turns into the issue, it's the speeding combined with the "gotta go fast" attitude resulting in so many players not only traveling at high speeds but then perform other dangerous manuevers in tandem. Things like completely disregarding traffic control signals or signs, cutting turns at intersections resulting in collisions with poles, walls, or other players, dangerous and outright idiotic overtakes in order to try to keep their speed at max, and other poor driving decisions that, when combined with high speeds, spells certain disaster.

2 hours ago, Granite said:

And ATS is no different, there's just way less players to notice, when you meet 2 people in 1500 miles.

I personally can't recall running into players with the same poor attitude in ATS as I see in ETS with the only exception being the Las Vegas truck stop, at least since ATS' popularity tanked into ghost town levels. The vast majority of players I run across are friendly and know how to drive their trucks and although they will go fast as well, they don't do it with the race driver mentality. ATS is definitely a different beast that punishes you a lot harder for stupid driving manuevers when you get off the Interstates if you go with the "I must have fastest, biggest truck and longest trailer" syndrome, which probably helps keep some of the race car players away.

Even if there are a lot of bad drivers, I prefer by far multiplayer over single player. The bad/reckless/impatient drivers are part of the experience, and I kind of ''like'' them because they make the game feel more alive and closer to real-life driving. Every encounter with another driver can be a surprise. Well, I don't exactly like bad drivers, but I like to hate them.

I'm a very safe driver, always driving defensively, recording and reporting if needed. I usually go over the posted limit when I'm alone (e.g. DLC territories, ATS) but whenever there's another driver around, I drive safely just like I would in real life. Anyways I am on WoT contracts most of the times, with my sub-600hp DAF. Can't exactly race with that!

Also, I have to agree with Snow Sheltie: from my experience, ATS drivers are much more serious than ETS drivers. I never have had a bad encounter on ATS.

I admit that I logged in to ETS2 today for the first time since years.

Expecting the worst, I started my 1,950 kilometers long journey from Duesseldorf to Sofia.

To my surprise, I arrived unharmed and without a single scratch!

No maniacs but only well behaving players and talented drivers. Not a single one racing or reckless driving.

This can be very different in other regions of the map.

Sorry not sorry. If i want to drive the speed limit, i'll do it IRL where the cops can fine me for going fast. Speed Limits aren't mandatory except on Official Event Servers. I can turn Traffic Offense off and never be fined. Only difference is, towns can actually enforce a max speed limit. Want to restrict everyone's speed to the posted? Then tell Staff to do that for every road.

It annoys me so much when i have to brake every 5 seconds because someone has to obey the posted limit instead of going the speed limiter. CD isn't for realistic speeds. Do that anywhere else on the map.

FYI, it wasn't the realism that drew players in. It's the Idiots on the Road, Youtube Videos, that drew them in.

1 hour ago, Somehow Lucky said:

It annoys me so much when i have to brake every 5 seconds because someone has to obey the posted limit instead of going the speed limiter. CD isn't for realistic speeds. Do that anywhere else on the map.

FYI, it wasn't the realism that drew players in. It's the Idiots on the Road, Youtube Videos, that drew them in.

You don't tell me where I can or can't drive and how I will drive, it's not your personal playground.

If I want to go there and annoy the likes of you, I will, and there's nothing you can do about it. Sorry but not sorry, deal with it or go anywhere else on the map.

Happy simulation driving.

9 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

That's an alarming truth being told.

While it's nice to see varying styles and preferences of gameplay in this community, it's unfortune that some of them (sometimes literally!) collide.

The two existing factions, namely the realistic-driving-style faction and the arcade-driving-style faction, flock together on the same (simulation) server, and the arcade server became and orphaned child because of its disabled collisions.

Both factions like to see their preferences put into practice, which regularly leads to a beatdown about which speed limit is the best.

An earlier version of TruckersMP however showed that personal responsibility in road traffic was a foreign word for too many players, and the no-speed limit policy lead to inappropriate and reckless driving behaviors and to the disadvantage of others.

However, TruckersMP won't become more realistic or better by enforcing lower speed limits.

It would actually make it less realistic, because realism also lives from flaws, failures and mistakes.

The difficulty is to control theses flaws, failures and mistakes to a certain degree.

And the Road To Simulation in its actual state is the best compromise between both worlds.

The realistic-driving-style faction can indulge their preference, and the arcade-driving-style faction can do so as well.

But nothing is carved in stone yet, and the TruckersMP team will adjust their multiplayer were they see need and fit.

13 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Sorry not sorry. If i want to drive the speed limit, i'll do it IRL where the cops can fine me for going fast. Speed Limits aren't mandatory except on Official Event Servers. I can turn Traffic Offense off and never be fined. Only difference is, towns can actually enforce a max speed limit. Want to restrict everyone's speed to the posted? Then tell Staff to do that for every road.

If you didn't drive so bloody fast, you wouldn't need to brake (at least not as much). 

In fact if you went slower, you'd go faster. 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with driving above the speed limit as long that you are doing so in a safe manner. It only becomes an issue for me when you start endangering other players or hit someone. As others have pointed out, there are 2 report systems that you can go through (the web system is more reliable), and we'll deal with them. 

On 12/18/2022 at 11:43 PM, Somehow Lucky said:

Not for me.

But what I like about TruckersMP is that it allows everyone to drive how they want.

Me for example, I do some jobs respecting every speed limit, road laws, etc, but sometimes I drive above the speed limits when there’s no one around.

I don’t have a problem with those who drive all the time at 110km/h, as long as they don’t drive recklessly, it’s all fine by me, I respect it but you also have to respect if I’m driving according to the road laws. Simple

Last time I did C-D road, it’s been a while though, I did it respecting the speed limits, saw many weird stuff, got insulted, did one report, went quite well.

Thank god we have a report system and GMs to take care of the infamous “trolls”

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I can tell which people fully read my OP and who read the first ten words and stopped thinking after that. The ones who only respond only about speeding fit into that category. The ones looking further and noticing how I took the first paragraph and tied it into the "gamer racer" mentality, are far fewer in number.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, Somehow Lucky said:

I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else. There is a 4-lane freeway you can use to get between Calais and Duisburg. You can use that if you want to speed to your heart's content without going to singleplayer or the arcade server. If you're not going to use that road and are willingly wanting to travel down a narrow, busy, two-lane highway, you WILL have to deal with drivers going slow for whatever number of reasons they have (law-abiders, heavy loads, some other idiot causing a wreck up ahead, or somebody else just being a bonehead trucker and causing a traffic jam). You made your bed, now you get to sleep in it.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, Somehow Lucky said:

This is sadly true.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Granite said:

If I want to go there and annoy the likes of you, I will, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Actually, i can. Try going even slower to find out.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, blabberbeak said:

nothing is carved in stone yet, and the TruckersMP team will adjust their multiplayer were they see need and fit.

Nothing has been adjusted aside from different servers for different tastes, and some rule tweaks that still keep the game to that of ETS2MP days. Because if TMP made adjustments to have the game as SCS envisioned mp, cars would be gone, game settings would be on the server side, and they would be more punishing with the fines like an IRL citation would be.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:08 AM, Davina said:

If you didn't drive so bloody fast, you wouldn't need to brake (at least not as much). 

In fact if you went slower, you'd go faster. 

Lock your speed at 1 KMH. You'll get there by New Year's Day.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, _The Witcher_ said:

Thank god we have a report system and GMs to take care of the infamous “trolls”

They sure take those 2 weeks to reflect on their bad behavior and learn how to drive.

I don't think it's "outrageous." Since the mechanics of the game allow you to achieve a higher speed (we are talking about Simulation 1 (110 km / h)) so players have the right to achieve it. It is important that the driver's skills should be matched to the speed, if it's not like that, such a person poses a real danger to others, and in extreme cases should be banned. (Collisions, ramming, etc.)

12 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Actually, i can. Try going even slower to find out.

No you can't, your kind has nothing on me.

Besides, it was just hypothetical, you are reading too fast to notice sarcasm, I can't be bothered making countless reports afterwards.

12 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Lock your speed at 1 KMH. You'll get there by New Year's Day.

And?

What do you do "there", once you get there?

Do you hold a ceremony and winner get a wreath or something?

For me, this is about the road, about driving a heavy truck, not about getting somewhere and doing whatever your kind do there.

Anyway your suggestion is ridiculous, simulation players do not intentionally drive extremely slow without good reason, something you casuals fail to understand.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Snow Sheltie said:

There is a 4-lane freeway you can use to get between Calais and Duisburg. You can use that if you want to speed to your heart's content without going to singleplayer or the arcade server. If you're not going to use that road and are willingly wanting to travel down a narrow, busy, two-lane highway, you WILL have to deal with drivers going slow for whatever number of reasons they have (law-abiders, heavy loads, some other idiot causing a wreck up ahead, or somebody else just being a bonehead trucker and causing a traffic jam).

I'm well aware of CD and the nightmares it causes. Majority of my reports are from that area. I do use the 4 lane highway. If i can't safely get on CD from the west. If i overshoot the small road exit to Calais.. I can also go anywhere else on the map. However, that is boring content. I compile my sessions to extract the idiots (even myself) being stupid. I'll admit it doesn't have fancy edits or sound effects like other known channels.

11 hours ago, Granite said:

No you can't, your kind has nothing on me.

Besides, it was just hypothetical, you are reading too fast to notice sarcasm, I can't be bothered making countless reports afterwards.

That's what you think. Go ahead and try to make me obey the speed limit or prevent me from doing a safe pass. Not only will i file a report against you, that goes against what a sim player does.

What do you do "there", once you get there?

Do you hold a ceremony and winner get a wreath or something?

Maybe i speak with city leaders about improving the city. Maybe i give cash to the first x amount of people to arrive. Maybe i do charity work. Maybe i get another job and already on me way. You won't know since you'll be so far behind.

simulation players do not intentionally drive extremely slow without good reason, something you casuals fail to understand.

I know the reasons

1. Trolling the casuals.
  2. Obeying the speed limit, even if it makes you late.
  3. Too heavy of a load for your normal truck to handle. Inclines don't help.

You sim players will never understand casuals. Driving on the open road, making record time from A-B, not waiting at reds when cross has blockers.

If i had the power, i would make a new speedrun category casual%.

11 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

That's what you think. Go ahead and try to make me obey the speed limit or prevent me from doing a safe pass. Not only will i file a report against you, that goes against what a sim player does.

Clearly you don't understand that's what I will never do, but you are the one who stated how greatly  slowing down or braking for anyone annoys you, and that is none of my bussiness, something you have to deal with, so don't try to draw me into your game.

11 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

I know the reasons

1. Trolling the casuals.
  2. Obeying the speed limit, even if it makes you late.
  3. Too heavy of a load for your normal truck to handle. Inclines don't help.

You sim players will never understand casuals. Driving on the open road, making record time from A-B, not waiting at reds when cross has blockers.

Wrong, wrong and again, wrong, try harder.

Most likely I am recovering after somebody like you just "safely passed me, forcing me to jump on brakes or hitting me.

9 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

What I will never understand is why you "casuals" who want to make record times and are longing for a "speedrun category" are not using the Arcade servers... I mean, you like driving fast, you are annoyed by the players who drive by the limits, in Arcade servers you wouldn't have a speed limit and wouldn't be "bothered" by slower players even if you encountered them, so?

Or to tell the truth, I do understand it. Speed is fun only if you have the chance to collide against other players, right? I can't think of any other explanations.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Snow Sheltie said:

This has been an ineresting conversation I've had with several random players when it comes to speed. I tend to stick at or within 5 km/h of the posted speed limit. Almost every player I come across seem hell-bent on driving as fast as they possibly can (and I'd guarentee you they'd be attempting 200 if the game would let them). The few times I've actually conversed with players over the topic, they are always perplexed that I would be driving the speed limit in the first place and a couple of them stated their goal in game was to get to their destination as fast as possible, almost like they're playing a racing game.

Playing a racing game; this would explain much of the wreckless behavior seen out of so many players in ETS. Instead of trying to enjoy the ride or up the ante by decreasing truck/trailer stability for the challenge, they simply want to race around the map as fast as possible. This is my personal observasion and opinions, if you think otherwise or have other reasons as to why people drive like they live in Chicago, let me know.

Players treat the game as an arcade because in reality this is what the game feels right now. Settings are not hard-coded in the servers and players can choose max stability and max braking making their trucks able to drive at max speed with ease. Furthermore they don't care about damage because money is worthless in the game. Every profile has trillions of euros and the 100k you pay in the service seem like pocket change. Actually you have to go out of your way to make the game feel like simulation & not arcade. If the administration wants to have servers that actually resemble simulated environments, they should focus their efforts on solutions of these issues (Server-side economy which will make the currency of the game valuable, perhaps hard-coded truck settings with standard braking & stability etc).

Until then everyone who's bothered by excessive speeding & reckless driving will keep being bothered by them.

• 2 weeks later...

It is also sad that no one understands that if one would keep to the speed especially at the gas stations, these traffic jams between Duisburg and Cailias would not arise. 

Likewise, if you keep to the speed limit, you yourself will be written down by others with "Rec" or "Rep". 

It is also sad to see that even the smallest things are banned 3 days after the event. But if you report a driver yourself, then the ticket remains unprocessed for over 2 weeks. Sad turn this MP has taken, both from the players and from the "TMP team".

The traffic jams at those gas stations are usually caused by the following; Too many players attempting to enter the gas station at the same time, or one or more impatient players pulling a bambi and driving out right in front of other drivers (because why should deer have all the fun?) causing either a massive slowdown or a crash, a driver on the main road slowing to a dead stop to try to let somebody in the gas station on the main road, causing a massive slowdown and/or crash in the process (STOP DOING THIS!) or a combination of all of the above. It's also worth noting the speed limit in both of those gas station areas is 50 km/h, so slowing down would be appropriate if you're intent on obeying the speed limit at all times.

14 hours ago, Redeye_Blackwolf[GER] said:

Likewise, if you keep to the speed limit, you yourself will be written down by others with "Rec" or "Rep". 

In all my years of playing this mod, I cannot recall one time where someone said they're reporting me for following the speed limit, or even driving too slow.

Archived