CD Road Face Lift

Sunstrider

Suggestion Name:  CD Road Face Lift

Suggestion Description: Improvement project for this popular road.

Any example images: Yes. They will be added below this.

Why should it be added?: 3,200 players connect to the server everyday. The road desperately needs an update to handle the massive load.

As a result of the load on the road (heh, i made an unintentional rhyme), accidents and overtaking players are not the only cause of Traffic Jam Simulator.

PART 1: GAS STATIONS (FEB 2024 Update: New Duisburg Side Gas Station Added. Monitoring Impact)

unknown.png

The issue with these gas stations is that they are too small. There's just not enough space for everyone coming in. Not to mention the couple of rest spots directly in front of the pumps.

20221009143412_1.jpg

What is my solution?

Screenshot_32664.png

If a custom asset is to be made, make about 4 pumps per asset. If not, a gas station with a rest area on both sides. Not only is this larger. But, it should be able to handle to load more efficiently. Excluding any impatient players who may use the ramps as a way to bypass "slower" traffic. 

PART 2: A73 Junction (Under Add On Management Review: Feb 2024)

unknown.png

20221009123656_1.jpg

It's poorly designed. There's not enough space for those getting on A73. When they slow down so does the traffic. Getting off is no better.

unknown.png

My solution is to have A73 going over CD with appropriate ramps.

PART 3: RAILROAD CROSSING (FEB 2024 Update: "Reduced train crossing timing. Not removing the crossing")

Another responsible factor for Traffic Sim. My solution is to take out the crossing and have the road go over the train line. Traffic keeps flowing.

PART 4: CD ROAD ITSELF (FEB 2024 Update: "Goes Against Our Vision")

unknown.png

Make the road have 2 lanes in each direction with a central divider. Shoulder lane should only be for parking purposes and can be reported if anyone tries to use it as a third lane when there's no road hazard to avoid (such as an overturned player). Ignore my editing attempt. I'm far from ProMods quality.

PART 5: ROAD JUNCTION (Under Add On Management Review: Feb 2024)

unknown.png

I put a P for Parking. Maybe a parking lot or a Rest Area (Only if a custom gas station asset is made (as mentioned in Part 1).

unknown.png

A concept i think could work.

PART 6: CALAIS START (Under Add On Management Review: Feb 2024)

unknown.png

Revamp and will keep traffic flowing.

unknown.png

My idea is to have A16 split here. Towards Lille will have to stay in the right 2 lanes. CD Road (Blue) exits at the left 2 lanes. A16 (From Lille) goes out a bit wider and connects with CD on the right. (Honestly, i should of made it connect on the left so CD doesn't have merging madness.) Green lines are ramps towards Lille

PART 7: ADDING TOLL BOOTHS (Optional but should be included) (Under Add On Management Review: Feb 2024)

unknown.png

Red circles represent toll booths. If people can afford 2 weeks bans and still cause trouble, they can afford to pay to keep driving down this road. It might make others deviate from this road, yes. But, they will be charged 3 times (more if they have to F7).

That's all the ideas i have. Sim 1 will thank you should all 7 of these be implemented.

Edited by Sunstrider
Feb 2024: Added the informed changes to the original post
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8
  • HaulieCry 1

• 1 year later...

Hey,

1 - we have recently built a much larger gas station at the Duisburg end of the road. We are determining the impact this has had on the road and may upgrade the other station later on if we deem necessary.

2 - Under AOM review.

3 - We recently changed the crossing to trigger less frequently. We will review this over the coming months.

4 - We do not plan on turning the road into a 2-lane highway, this goes against our current vision of the road. 

5 - Under AOM review.

6 - Under AOM review.

7 - Under AOM review.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Phon said:

Hey,

1 - we have recently built a much larger gas station at the Duisburg end of the road. We are determining the impact this has had on the road and may upgrade the other station later on if we deem necessary.

2 - Under AOM review.

3 - We recently changed the crossing to trigger less frequently. We will review this over the coming months.

4 - We do not plan on turning the road into a 2-lane highway, this goes against our current vision of the road. 

5 - Under AOM review.

6 - Under AOM review.

7 - Under AOM review.

It gives me hope that there are still some ideas on the table.

1: It is necessary. Calais end is still as bad.

4: More lanes should be added. Having a single lane with this amount of traffic just doesn't flow for the most part. Plus, the lanes can connect to either end of the road. If that doesn't work, give the lanes more spacing apart (idk, 5m?), add a shoulder lane for parking, and add a central divider to keep the lanes apart.

Also, am i allowed to know what the current vision is for the road or is that NDA?

• True Story 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:11 PM, Phon said:

Hey,

Hello Phon,

I am agree with you that a 2(4)-lane highway is against the current vision of the road which many players really love.

But maybe it could be an option, to upgrade the road into a 3-lane road on different spots. - This type of road is used in some european countries (e.g. Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg,...) where:

1. the average amount of vehicles is below a certain threshold or
  2. the needed space for a highway is not given or
  3. a highway is too expensive

This type of road could match really good with the traffic amount on D-C and can allow a safe way to overtake other vehicles without having the issues with oncoming traffic and without destroying the current "D-C-vision".

Example 1 - overtaking possible in one direction, while forbidden in the other direction:

20240205130036-1.jpg

Example 2 - closing of the current overtaking lane :

20240205130049-1.jpg

Example 3 - "safe space" between the endings of the overtaking lanes in both directions :

20240205130141-1.jpg

Example 4 - ending of the 3-lane road an merge into a 2-lane road :

20240205132115-1.jpg

2025704570_role_Add-OnTeam(2).png.8b1a3b    |    7049300.png

Rules  |  Knowledge-Base | Ban Appeals | Report a Player | Feedback

23 minutes ago, Keiko Yamato said:

This type of road could match really good with the traffic amount on D-C and can allow a safe way to overtake other vehicles without having the issues with oncoming traffic and without destroying the current "D-C-vision".

... provided that players in that area would suddenly start to care about road signage, road markings and mutual consideration.

• Haha 1
  • True Story 1

17 hours ago, Keiko Yamato said:

I am agree with you that a multi-lane highway is against the current vision of the road which many players really love.

But maybe it could be an option, to upgrade the road into a 3-lane road on different spots. This type of road could match really good with the traffic amount on D-C and can allow a safe way to overtake other vehicles without having the issues with oncoming traffic and without destroying the current "D-C-vision".

Examples:

20240205130036-1.jpg

20240205130049-1.jpg

20240205132115-1.jpg

1. Majority of the players, who oppose more lanes, are the ones who will use the spare lane to overtake. Even the "Safe Spot" will be a parking space and/or overtaking zone.
  2. All the road needs is another lane for each direction of travel, a designated shoulder for anyone who wants to park off the lanes of travel, and a barrier to keep the sides separated.
    This example is already on display outside Calais and look how that handles the same amount of traffic.
  • Upvote 1