Vote: Local speed limit on the Calais-Duisburg road

Interstate Nomad

Vote: Local speed limit on the Calais-Duisburg road  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support a local speed limit of 60 km/h on the Calais-Duisburg road?

• Yes, I do support a local speed limit.
    • No, I do not support a local speed limt.

Howdy fellow truckers,

I am aware this might be a provoking question. So please keep your emotions under control and the discussion friendly. 🙂

My question is:

Do you support a local speed limit of 60 km/h on the Calais-Duisburg road? 🤔

Please vote above 👆 and (if you like) explain the reason for your vote in the comments below 👇.

Thank you! 🥰

My vote was Negative and I want to explain why, although I've already done so in other topics:

If that road is changed in any ways to make it "safer", many of the "usual suspects" that only drive there would move away and find another place where they can do their "usual stunts". It would mean another place, for me and many others doing WoTr jobs, to avoid. I honestly believe that it's better to keep it the way it is currently, well-known, easy to avoid with good alternatives that may be a bit longer but on highways, so they are not only safer, but faster in the end. If players switched to another road to make it the new "Funny moments" and "Idiots on the road" videos location, it could happen that we'd need to take a big detour to avoid that new area when going from A to B.

I voted "No", and I agree with @FernandoCR [ESP], the road isn't really shorter nor faster than highway, even without loads of crap that goes on there, so that makes it completely irrelevant to go there for any other reason than to get wrecked and waste time making reports.

Like I said before, it's best to keep it contained as it is, you need to actively search for it, route advisor won't lead you here unless set to small roads, which isn't default setting. I don't want this "circus" to migrate where the route is actually good and alternatives are crappy and longer, or none at all. 

It's slow imo. I'd rather drive through the UK instead where speed limits are set to 80km/h for single lane roads.

However, SCS Software must have also considered country laws which may explain why speed limits are dropped from 80km/h in France and the Netherlands to 60km/h in Belgium and Germany.

Overall, I don't really like the reduced speed limit on some portions of C-D. However, seeing as C-D in real life is a highway (although technically not existing as one connecting calais to duisburg directly), it might be more probable that the speed limit may increase when the devs work on the Benelux revamp.

banner

even in reallife we would drive 90 on such roads or at least 80... its a pretty wide road with easy corners. 60kmh for trucks on such roads is ridiculously slow even in reallife. in most other countries the speedlimit is 70 kmh or 80kmh for trucks which is a lot more efficient for the car drivers too. the truck laws in general inside of the EU are very questionable tbh

I support a local speed limit of 60 km/h. Here's why.

The fame of the road between Duisburg and Calais has attracted many players. Too many for the two cities and the road connecting them.

Road congestions happen regulary and with them an increased number of rule violations and accidents. The reasons of accidents are manifold, but IOTR* videos indicate that driving at excessive speed is more than common. Rule violations, accidents, and reports bind massive ressources of the TruckersMP team.

While the server speed limit of 110 km/h in general is a useful mean to prevent players from driving even faster, it is also a downright invitation to chaos and havoc on cross country roads like the C-D road. Paired with the amount of players and their different age, experience and interests it creates a no-win situation and counteracts most attempts of improvement.

A local speed limit of 60 km/h not only reduces the speed, but harmonizes the flow of traffic by eliminating larger speed differences between players. It gives players more time to react to unforeseen circumstances on the road and significantly shortens the breaking distance for a full stop. Furthermore, it reduces the likeliness to tip over in curves of the road.

All in all, it makes driving more safe and leads to a better game experience for the community and the TruckersMP team.

Just my two cents. 🙂

Remark:

* Idiots Of The Road

The current C-D speed limit of 110 is good

Language: Chinese/English

Discord:hengya0512            I want everyone to be able to drive safely on the road!❤️

8 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

I support a local speed limit of 60 km/h. Here's why.

The fame of the road between Duisburg and Calais has attracted many players. Too many for the two cities and the road connecting them.

Road congestions happen regulary and with them an increased number of rule violations and accidents. The reasons of accidents are manifold, but IOTR* videos indicate that driving at excessive speed is more than common. Rule violations, accidents, and reports bind massive ressources of the TruckersMP team.

While the server speed limit of 110 km/h in general is a useful mean to prevent players from driving even faster, it is also a downright invitation to chaos and havoc on cross country roads like the C-D road. Paired with the amount of players and their different age, experience and interests it creates a no-win situation and counteracts most attempts of improvement.

A local speed limit of 60 km/h not only reduces the speed, but harmonizes the flow of traffic by eliminating larger speed differences between players. It gives players more time to react to unforeseen circumstances on the road and significantly shortens the breaking distance for a full stop. Furthermore, it reduces the likeliness to tip over in curves of the road.

All in all, it makes driving more safe and leads to a better game experience for the community and the TruckersMP team.

Just my two cents. 🙂

Remark:

* Idiots Of The Road

But it doesnt, if everyones force to drive at 60kmh which btw is wayyyyy to slow they will find somewhere else.

The problem wont go away by enforcing a speed limit on a certain road. you just move it to another road.....do we enforce a 60kmh limit on the whole of tmp?

23 minutes ago, Be4rdy said:

The problem wont go away by enforcing a speed limit on a certain road. you just move it to another road.....do we enforce a 60kmh limit on the whole of tmp?

Irl I believe the 60kmh limit only applies to trucks and not to cars in Belgium and Germany. SCS have designed the game based on the local laws around the area to keep the simulation as realistic as possible. 

banner

But for the record no one is obliged to actually follow speed limits in TMP. I and maybe some other people like to be strict with the simulation by following speed limits and local laws while others just want to drive as quickly as possible to the destination or use this game as a cheaper version of Forza. Neither is wrong.

Yes the limit is slow but then SCS designed the game considering local speed limits as well. TMP's limiter is set to 110kmh so you don't really have to follow the 60kmh speed limit if you don't wish to. However (this is not to stop you from speeding), the faster you drive, the less reaction time you have to react to something and the more responsibility will be held upon you. If you want to drive any faster than 110kmh then I recommend you try out the Arcade server or Forza which is currently discounted on Steam!

banner

On 10/14/2022 at 11:26 PM, Be4rdy said:

But it doesnt, if everyones force to drive at 60kmh which btw is wayyyyy to slow they will find somewhere else.

Speed limits depends on local conditions. Therefore, it's not necessary to enforce a speed limit of 60 km/h on the entire map, because local conditions can differ significantly and need to be evaluated individually.

Harzard spots like the C-D road usually are subject to lower speed limits to increase safety.

19 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Do you mind to elaborate the reasons of your opinion?
How and why does the situation gets worse?

As you'll see in my CD Face Life suggestion, there's already enough problems areas as is. I am one of the players who likes to go full speed. Reducing the speed limit, will not only make the trip down the road longer but cause more traffic delays since they won't be applying city speed limits to a scenic road.

unknown.png

Imagine this for the entire road. Traffic needs to keep flowing, not slowing as if there's red light every turn.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, Somehow Lucky said:

As you'll see in my CD Face Life suggestion, there's already enough problems areas as is. I am one of the players who likes to go full speed. Reducing the speed limit, will not only make the trip down the road longer but cause more traffic delays since they won't be applying city speed limits to a scenic road.

unknown.png

Imagine this for the entire road. Traffic needs to keep flowing, not slowing as if there's red light every turn.

Thanks for your explanation.

Momentarily, players drive at speeds ranging between 50 km/h and 110 km/h in that area, which is a major difference in speed.

My idea is to harmonize the flow of traffic in that area by reducing the major differences in speed between players.

If all players drive at the same (or similar) speed, fewer accidents occur and the flow of traffic improves.

Will it take you longer?

If you consider not being stuck in traffic jams as often as you were before, you might turn out to travel at a higher average speed and reach your destination earlier.

^^^ But it would change. Now there are people doing 80, people doing 110 and maybe people doing 60. Faster people overtake slower ones, no matter what, many times causing an accident and a traffic jam. If everyone were limited at 60 Km/h, I find it quite unlikely that many players would go slower than that, so the racing and the overtakings would be over. The only bad spots would be the places where players stop, mainly the fuel stations. But even in those, since players on the road would be doing 60 Km/h tops, the ones wanting to enter it after stopping would have it easier to find a gap and get to speed, unlike now that they most likely have to deal with a lot of 110 Km/h traffic.

The speed limit may be better if it is 90 in some places it may be better if it is 110 but I think 60 is too slow. I prefer not to speed but that's my opinion.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                          Languages that I know;

!drkYVZ                                                                                                                                  Turkish, English, Spanish, German

Social:                                                                                                       Have a safe trucking and have a good day!                                                                                                         Useful Links:

TruckersMP     |     TruckersMP Forum     |     Steam                                                                                                                                                                                                 Ban Appeal    |     Report         Rules      |     Feedback     |     Support

39 minutes ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Bit of a self promo here. This is my suggestion to improve the road altogether.

Actually like this idea, its better than limiting everyone to 60kmh. until people get into their heads that you will just move the problem somewhere else they might see that other ideas need to come about.

16 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Bit of a self promo here. This is my suggestion to improve the road altogether.

Further reconstructions of the C-D area with significant changes to the intrastructure will turn the map even more into fiction, which counteracts the idea of "Road To Simulation".

Besides of that, I doubt that these edits will have the desired result, if issues related to speed differences aren't taken into consideration.

Archived