Why are we playing ATS less?

Hawkmusen

Good forums for everyone. Why do you think ATS has fewer players playing than ETS2? I think the graphics of ats are more beautiful than ETS2 of course, there is a difference between the vehicles and the European roads and American roads. But other than that, why do you think the number of players is less, I would like to know your think, thank you.

Hello, thank you for creating this topic.

The producer of this game are in Czechia. Naturally, when this game came out, it was able to reach mostly European countries and peoples directly. Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a very high play rate because these vehicles were vehicles that the audience always saw, carefully examined if they were interested, and wanted to create in their own fantasy world. As a matter of fact, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a favorite game with all that it contains today. But ATS is a very different thing. Because, especially, none of the European players are used to trucks and trailers of American design or American adaptation. They cannot see them in daily life, they cannot meet them. That's why no one cares, or rather, less interested in these otherworldly tools. As a result, a vintage topline Scania rusting in the mud is a favorite for everyone rather than a big shiny Freightliner on the highway.

Kind regards,

Tommy

“Be careful who you trust, Sergeant. People you know can hurt you the most.”

^^ Because there is no Calais - Duisburg in ATS? ?

Jokes aside, it could be an explanation of sorts. I don't remember seeing or hearing of anyone mentioning "Funny moments" or "Idiots on the road" videos about ATS. And that is clearly something that can make a game (or a mod in this case) grow. At the end of the day, it's all about popularity and ETS2 has received a lot more boosts in this regard. It's also a fact that ETS2 is 4 years older, so by the time ATS was released ETS2 already had a big players' community, lots of people developing mods, TruckersMP was already working...

I do own both games, but seeing my Steam "Hours played" statistics, with ETS2 having more than 10 times the hours I've played ATS, makes me guilty in this matter too. And it's probably because most of my ETS2 hours have been spent in TruckersMP servers. ATS feels in TruckersMP just like single player with bot traffic disabled... I can bear it, no problem, but I'd rather play single with the bot traffic, which I do whenever there are any WoTr events or I feel like having a change in the scenery.

17 hours ago, Tσmmy said:

Hello, thank you for creating this topic.

The producer of this game are in Czechia. Naturally, when this game came out, it was able to reach mostly European countries and peoples directly. Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a very high play rate because these vehicles were vehicles that the audience always saw, carefully examined if they were interested, and wanted to create in their own fantasy world. As a matter of fact, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a favorite game with all that it contains today. But ATS is a very different thing. Because, especially, none of the European players are used to trucks and trailers of American design or American adaptation. They cannot see them in daily life, they cannot meet them. That's why no one cares, or rather, less interested in these otherworldly tools. As a result, a vintage topline Scania rusting in the mud is a favorite for everyone rather than a big shiny Freightliner on the highway.

Kind regards,

Tommy

Of course, what you say has an impact mate but it's a different experience for simulation players in ATS. If there was a popular way like the DC way, I'm sure it would be played more maybe. ?

5 hours ago, "RICKY" said:

Hello truckers. 

ATS is a very well done game, in my opinion, not playing so much is the roads don't give the feeling of challenges and many straight roads don't have curves. And it gets a little dry 

In fact, there are difficult roads such as mountains canyon roads, etc. For these reasons, you may not prefer it, I would respect that.

5 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Jokes aside, it could be an explanation of sorts. I don't remember seeing or hearing of anyone mentioning "Funny moments" or "Idiots on the road" videos about ATS. And that is clearly something that can make a game (or a mod in this case) grow. At the end of the day, it's all about popularity and ETS2 has received a lot more boosts in this regard. It's also a fact that ETS2 is 4 years older, so by the time ATS was released ETS2 already had a big players' community, lots of people developing mods, TruckersMP was already working...

I do own both games, but seeing my Steam "Hours played" statistics, with ETS2 having more than 10 times the hours I've played ATS, makes me guilty in this matter too. And it's probably because most of my ETS2 hours have been spent in TruckersMP servers. ATS feels in TruckersMP just like single player with bot traffic disabled... I can bear it, no problem, but I'd rather play single with the bot traffic, which I do whenever there are any WoTr events or I feel like having a change in the scenery.

The reason you don't see videos like the one you mentioned is that I think there are no trolls, I think many of those who play are usually due to smooth drivers, and the lack of a popular road like the D-C road may actually be one of the reasons. ? The fact that the servers are empty does not give a person pleasure to drive on the empty road, you are right.

On 9/23/2022 at 2:46 AM, blabberbeak said:

I recently gave American Truck Simulator another try and got hooked.

The big rigs, beautiful landscapes and endless roads fascinate me and are a welcome change to its European counterpart.

I can't explain why it isn't popular in TruckersMP.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:23 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

ATSMP has had a few times in the past where it became more popular and even had a road like Calais-Duisburg, but it always died off not long after unfortunately. In the future, unless ATS really blows up, I don't see it being constantly popular in TMP.

A few examples are:

When ATS first released in Feb 2016, don't know much about this though or much in between because I started playing truck sims in late 2017.

Operation Big Sur event back in June/July 2018.

When Washington DLC came out for ATS in June 2019 that Bellingham logging road became popular for about a month at least.

When Promods came out for ATS in Dec 2020 I remember the servers getting over 1000 players and in Canada there was a good amount of traffic, not just in one area either, all across Canada you could find people, the first release the map was quite small though so people got bored quick and the popularity didn't last more than 2 weeks I think.

After that, I don't think there was any other times where ATS had lots of players at one time because of SCS new convoy mode in June/July 2021. The only time where you'll be able to drive with lots of players is if TMP does a convoy for ATS because of SCS new convoy mode, and I'm glad they still do this and show ATS some love despite the very low player count that it has, despite that, a good amount of people do come for the TMP convoys.

If you're curious what it was like during any of these times, I'm sure you can find youtube videos, Operation Big Sur you'll definitely find a ton since it was a very popular SCS event.

ATSMP died out when the kids in charge started the "Road to Simulation" changes.  They took what was already a simulator, and made all kinds of arbitrary rules that made no sense from a simulation standpoint, including a global artificial speed limiter that would slow your truck to a crawl on the interstate if you were going through a city.  When asked for comment about it, the threads were flooded with ETS2 players who loved the changes even though they made the game really irritating to play and very unrealistic.  The American voices were drowned out and ignored by the developers.  So when SCS released their version of a multiplayer component, ATSMP was largely abandoned by those of us who wanted to play an actual simulator instead of the silly arcade game that TruckerMP became.

I think its most likely because ATS sadly has less tuning options than ETS2, but also because most of the people are probably rather interested in european trucks. Again some people probably prefer to play ETS2 beacause there is more going on on those Servers. I personally play ATS most likely only when there is an event going on. But when I play it im really enjoying the game!

gis.png

• 2 weeks later...

For my I usually only play ATS if im driving with some friends as alone its just too quite, I like to drive in the busy areas and overall I prefer ETS2 as I'm more used to ETS2, find the ATS trucks a bit harder to drive and ETS2 just has more variety especially with tuning opinions.

9b3f0e1f6c.jpg

The reasons I've had people given me over time has never been universal but rather all over the place. I would say the most common one boils down to players simply being disinterested in ATS. A couple of the reasons I still hear are completely outdated, one such example is "too few trucks" from players who apparently still think ATS only have 5 different truck models available.

I have a strong prefence for ATS for numerous reasons.  I like the trucks more and the sleeper trucks with a 53' trailer are a good challenge to manuever in a number of cities and industries without crossing the center line or hitting stuff with the trailer. I also prefer the road network design in ATS in general as it's far more believable and not simply cookie-cutter nonsense. I'm happy to see the reworked areas in ETS are getting a similar treatment.

I miss when the servers were busy at the beginning. Now you can tell how neglected the ATS mod is by the high number of repair depots one could teleport to that still have collision enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play ATS back in '15-'18 but quit after the VTC I was in was disbanded, tried to come back here recently but noticed through the weeks the servers rarely get into the 100s and I cant help but think ProMods might play a part. Dont get me wrong, Im a fan of map extensions and ProMods is amazing but for new players new to modding and the game in general, it might be turn away seeing as you HAVE to modify your game to play TruckersMP ATS but dont need to to play TruckersMP ETS2, hence why most new players go there as its as easy as install the launcher and play.

I feel like if there was just a normal Sim server like the main ETS2 one, no mods required or ProMods, and I feel like more players would eventually start to gather and more may even move toward the ProMods server. Plus with opening a "stock" server if more new players start playing, seeing activity hopefully veterans will come back and play more as well, gaining not only new but old players back.

Just my thoughts on it though, heres hoping for a ATS boom soon lol

The problems with ATS in it's 2017 "baby stages"

1. The map was lacking in content. While each state is a new DLC, SCS doesn't have to worry about rescaling it. Unlike ETS 2 that still has multiple areas to rescale.
  2. Lack of variety with trucks. ETS 2 has about triple the amount of trucks.
  3. Lack of customization options. Lacking huge variety compared to ETS 2.
  4. Lack of friends and events makes the drives boring. It's like being kicked from the server and just driving around.
  5. ATS doesn't have a "CD Road" like ETS 2. Originally, it was Oxnard Crossroads. The rescale came and removed it.
  6. ATS has been out for roughly 6 and a half years. And it has just added Montana. Still have half the country left.
  7. Free Players don't want to pay for DLC's to drive the map. Which is why you will see majority of the population in Vegas.

I rarely play American truck simulators, mostly in the style of trucks, feeling a bit clunky when reversing and turning

亲切问候

倩霞

Useful Links:

TMP举报|TMP规则|TMP知识库|TMP反馈系统|TMP支持系统

社会的:

卡车司机MP|卡车司机MP论坛|蒸汽|VTC

垫片.png

Archived