Friendly Reminder: Blocking Traffic to be 'Friendly' is, in Fact, not Friendly

Snow Sheltie

I am certain this is more of a case of the typical disregard of basic traffic rules so prevalant in this game but maybe worth the Public Service Announcement even if it just affects a few people.

If, in the act of being 'friendly' to another truck driver who is attempting to merge or turn into the flow of traffic, you end up blocking or stopping traffic that has the right of way, you are not being friendly, you are the problem.

I've given up trying to count the number of times I have witnessed drivers just stop in the middle of the bloody road because they want to let in another driver who is waiting for their turn, blocking the 10 drivers behind them and causing a traffic jam. This is not helpful. It's not thinking (I doubt 90% of players in this game think to begin with) about what's going on around them.

If a traffic control device, whether it be a stop sign, yield sign, or traffic light, indicates that you, the driver, have the right of way at an intersection, you keep moving through unless something changes. The driver who does not have the right of way waits for their turn. Now if, for example, you just full send your brakes on the C-D road at the petrol station because you want to be friendly to a driver waiting their turn to rejoin traffic, congradulations! You just unecessarily caused a 10-20 truck traffic jam or crash because you are ignoring traffic laws and end up becoming a general nuisance instead of helpful or friendly.

If there's no traffic behind you or the traffic ahead of you is completely stopped, then by all means, go ahead and let the other driver in, but if the traffic around you is already flowing, don't be the blood clot and just stop in the middle of the road.

Part of a trucker's life is sometimes waiting for many minutes to rejoin a road. I know that very well from driving a tractor trailer for a job, waiting impatiently to make a left-hand turn because traffic is timing themselves just right that I can't move and I know I have to have at least 16 seconds to make a turn and clear the intersection with both truck and trailer. However, I'm the professional. I have to keep my cool and wait for that opportunity because it's either that or some SUV flying down the road looking at their phone turning into a convertible from slamming into my trailer, and guess who's going to be the one at fault there?

• Community Manager

Intentionally blocking traffic is a punishable offense, by the way. If you catch someone doing such an action, you are more than welcome to report them on the website. 

1646005585_role_CommunityManager(1).png.          

Appeal your ban - Report a player - Create a feedback ticket

Thanks for sharing your opinion. ?

Participation in road traffic requires mutual consideration.

You don't have to come to a full stop to let other road users merge or turn into the flow of traffic. Sometimes it's already enough to slightly reduce your speed to create a sufficient gap.

It just requires you to be aware of the traffic situation respectively think/ plan ahead.

Live and let live, right?

Another, very important Game Hacks can help, to let other People joining the Road without causing a Accident: Patience, Appropriate Speed, Safe Distance and Foresight by all Players! Some knowing this and Many needs to learn this, Some the hard Way! ?

7 hours ago, Snow Sheltie said:

Now if, for example, you just full send your brakes on the C-D road at the petrol station because you want to be friendly to a driver waiting their turn to rejoin traffic, congradulations! You just unecessarily caused a 10-20 truck traffic jam or crash because you are ignoring traffic laws and end up becoming a general nuisance instead of helpful or friendly.

7 hours ago, Snow Sheltie said:

Part of a trucker's life is sometimes waiting for many minutes to rejoin a road. I know that very well from driving a tractor trailer for a job, waiting impatiently to make a left-hand turn because traffic is timing themselves just right that I can't move and I know I have to have at least 16 seconds to make a turn and clear the intersection with both truck and trailer. However, I'm the professional. I have to keep my cool and wait for that opportunity because it's either that or some SUV flying down the road looking at their phone turning into a convertible from slamming into my trailer, and guess who's going to be the one at fault there?

How about the view form the other side, there is a speed limit of 50km/h (~30Mph) near both gas stations you are giving as an example. Do you, or anybody slow down here?

Not doing so is not friendly.

I am sure it must be a pure joy trying to pull out here, especially when crossing the lane, while everybody passes by at 110km/h giving you about those 16 seconds before they reach you from the moment they spawn about 500m away.

Another little quirk, these gas stations are one way (indicated by signs), if you need to get in when the gas station is on your left side, you have to practically make a u-turn, which usually involves stopping for oncoming traffic with your left turn signal on, and there are always people inside going wrong way blocking entry for those making left turn towards gas station, forcing them to let these fools out, or there's just too many people inside, which promts multiple vigilantes to scream "REC" "BAN" "BLOCKING" in the chat.

Complaing about anything that happens on this road and TruckersMP servers in general, or trying to educate the crowds that populate the hot spots, is totally pointless.

Hardly anybody of them are forum regulars, or have any idea about road traffic rules, not to mention driving a real truck.

If you find someone deliberately blocking the road, you can report him on the website, and I would also like to say that there is no need to interfere with others in order to get one person on a normally moving road

Language: Chinese/English

Discord:hengya0512            I want everyone to be able to drive safely on the road!❤️

On 9/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, xBestBBx said:

Intentionally blocking traffic is a punishable offense, by the way. If you catch someone doing such an action, you are more than welcome to report them on the website. 

The thing is I'm not sure these people are aware they are blocking the flow of traffic when they're doing this. It's almost like a case of tunnel vision; The first driver sees a second driver ahead of them who's waiting for a moment to enter the road or intersection and even though the first driver has the right-of-way and should keep driving, they stop to try to let the second driver in without thinking of what the rest of the traffic is doing around them.

Hello,

Thank you for someone to say that.

Kindness is all well and good, but you have to weigh up whether you are endangering others with your behaviour.

I usually decide according to the following criteria:

01: Is there a traffic jam here anyway or am I driving slowly anyway because of the traffic?

Yes -> point 3

No -> point 2

02: Is there someone behind me?

Yes -> A

No -> point 3

03.: Does it make sense to let him out?:

Yes -> point 4

No -> A

04.: Where does the player want to go?

In my direction of travel -> A or B

Oncoming -> Point 5

05.: Does the oncoming traffic allow me to let him out?

Yes -> B

No -> A

A: Continue driving, do not let the player out.

B: Let the player out, he is happy - I am happy.

Of course, the big question is, "Am I endangering anyone else?" This can be asked at any time, which is why I have not explained this point separately.

Many greetings,

Felix

On 9/18/2022 at 12:56 AM, Granite said:

Another little quirk, these gas stations are one way (indicated by signs), if you need to get in when the gas station is on your left side, you have to practically make a u-turn, which usually involves stopping for oncoming traffic with your left turn signal on, and there are always people inside going wrong way blocking entry for those making left turn towards gas station, forcing them to let these fools out, or there's just too many people inside, which promts multiple vigilantes to scream "REC" "BAN" "BLOCKING" in the chat.

I don't know the actual layout of this area.

Isn't the other entrance blocked on the road to prevent traffic entering the gas station from the wrong side?
Or can players turn on the area of the gas station?

1 hour ago, Granite said:

@blabberbeak Long time ago, I used my unparalleled MS Paint skills to create this art piece, it hasn't changed at all, this side of the gas station is exit only, other side entry only. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I envy you.

Below my idea to counter wrong way traffic entering the gas station (powerpoint skills, yeah! ✌️).

3JLo5GZ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator. 

Archived