About Speeding

Interstate Nomad

Hello fellow truckers,

in this post I'd like to write about the topic of speeding.

Speeding is the willful or unconscious exceeding of a safe driving speed.
It is not (only) the driving faster than the allowed speed limit.

Wait...what? Why? ?

Local speed limits usually post a maximum speed which is safe to drive at under ideal weather and road conditions. They are valid for a specific section of a road.

They don't always consider bad weather conditions, traffic conditions, the specifications of your semi-truck/ trailer and type of cargo or your personal driving experience.

Okay...but what does this mean exactly for you and me? ?

It means that a speed limit isn't necessarily safe to follow at under certain conditions.

For example, fog, hail, rain, snow, wind, etc. are weather conditions which have a negative impact on your range of visibility and the road grip of your semi-truck and trailer.

This in return can make it more difficult to see the course of the road, road signs and other road users. It also can make it difficult to impossible to keep your semi-truck and trailer safely on the road or come to a full stop.

What does this has to do with speeding? ?
Simple. If you drive down a road following the local speed limit in a heavy snow storm, you might be, though unconsciously, subject to speeding.

To drive at a safe speed, you'd need to reduce your speed, even if it below the local speed limit.

In comparison, the willful exceeding of a safe speed is to choose and know your're driving too fast.

It is an act of reckless driving, because you willfully take into account that you might endanger and/ or harm other road users.

Got it? Here's some last advice.

Always adapt your speed to

• the weather conditions,
  • the road conditions,
  • the traffic conditions as well as to
  • your semi-truck, trailer, your type of cargo and
  • your personal driving experience.

Thanks for your attention! ?
Drive safely. ?

This is really good advice! And yes, just because there is a posted speed limit to the road, doesn't mean this is also a target for drivers to hit. 

I also think direction of the road should be taken into account as well (which might still count as road conditions). There are many many drivers that tend to consider the speed limit a target or tend to overspeed. And this is usually dangerous when it comes to bends as the truck is highly likely to flip or collide/cut across to oncoming traffic. 

banner

Another advice: The speed limits are not what you see on the road signs, unless you are driving a car (and not even then, seeing the handling of the cars in TMP). Those signs are meant for cars/motorcycles, not for trucks. You can set your NAVSAT screen or Route Advisor to show the roads' speed limits for trucks and see the differences.

But... When so many people seem to believe that "speed limit" is the 110 Km/h forced by the Simulation servers, all of these advices can only matter to those who are probably already aware of them... Sad but true (©Metallica)

Imagine if the sim servers actually had people driving as a simulator is intended.

Some days I feel like we are an extension of BeamNG or Forza.

There will always be those that must drive at the fastest possible speed because....no real world percussions.

We should have a No Speeding day...or week...or month... ?

Thanks @blabberbeak for this guide. Unfortunately as @dajokr mentioned I'm not sure how many people will follow it unfortunately ?

When you see that 90% of players are NOT following even the car speed limits, you wonder how many will really follow these advises. It would be such a great progress if we could force people to play with real simulation/physics settings so that they would be forced to follow speed limits and safe driving rules to avoid a crash (like in the real life). ?

Strictly speaking, speeding is exceeding maximum allowed speed limit, doesn't matter if determined by road signage or laws.

However, every european country does have some laws about road traffic.

This is citation from local law in my country (Act 8/2009, on road traffic and on amendments to certain laws, § 16.1):

"The driver is obliged to adapt the driving speed mainly to his abilities, characteristics of the vehicle and load, weather conditions, condition and nature of the road and other circumstances that can be foreseen. The driver must only drive at a reasonable speed to be able to stop the vehicle at a distance that he can see."

I am certain you can find something similar in local road traffic laws of every european country, so it's not only some good advice or common sense, but you will always be responsible if you cause an accident due to negligence.

However, the word "foreseen" is important.

2 hours ago, Granite said:

I am certain you can find something similar in local road traffic laws of every european country, so it's not only some good advice or common sense, but you will always be responsible if you cause an accident due to negligence.

In France drivers "have to master their vehicle in any circumstances/conditions" which implies driving at the right speed according to the weather, road conditions, load, etc...

In a game it also depends on your skill and confidence level, the input device you use, how much you and the guy in front of you lag, usually it would be even lower than the real-life truck limit. On C-D it's based on your average following distance. Have a tailgater? slow down even more. Speed limits don't really matter, the road was designed for singleplayer. Doesn't necessarily mean that you will be safe driving at that kind of speed in MP.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

҉  PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

On 7/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, SprinterFS said:

Speed limits don't really matter, the road was designed for singleplayer. Doesn't necessarily mean that you will be safe driving at that kind of speed in MP.

Single player has traffic...no different  playing in MP so I fail to see the comparison your trying to make. For that reason alone we should see fewer accidents, not more. I have hauled the heaviest loads, and I have hauled long loads. Following the "speed limits" has never resulted in an accident, breaking them has (can't stay in lane when cornering, cant make a stop, etc).

I just follow rules as best I can around those with few brain cells, and report with a clip when the inevitable happens, a crash involving me.

Dana 20.7.2022 u 13:55 Black Alcoa je rekao:

Ne mogu zamisliti multiplayer koji poštuje ograničenja brzine ?

People from multiplayer... ?

In fact, no game will make a hard speed limit, and the speed limit given is just a suggestion, I think there is no accident, no reckless driving on the line

Language: Chinese/English

Discord:hengya0512            I want everyone to be able to drive safely on the road!❤️

12 hours ago, [MCG] Masunio said:

These are great tutorials. However, if possible, please talk more about the cases of speeding when overtaking.

The speed of the driver overtaking 

must be significant higher than the speed of the driver being overtaken.

But the speed mustn't exceed the speed limit or the speed at which the vehicle can safely be controlled.

This is to ensure the shortest possible overtaking distance and time to ultimately prevent endangering or harming others.

Only in rare and justified cases where an immediate danger is imminent an exception of the above is permitted.

13 hours ago, [MCG] Masunio said:

However, if possible, please talk more about the cases of speeding when overtaking.

45 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

But the speed mustn't exceed the speed limit or the speed at which the vehicle can safely be controlled.

Speeding while overtaking is, on paper, forbidden indeed. But, as you know already, people on TMP at driving minimum at the trucks legal speed limit (except sometime on steep hills when the cargo load slows you down). Which means that if you want to overtake you have to be speeding.

To me that's fine as long as you don't bother others and control your truck (like in real life). Then if you drive recklessly and take massive risks the game mods are there to kick you ?

11 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

The speed of the driver overtaking 

must be significant higher than the speed of the driver being overtaken.

This is to ensure the shortest possible overtaking distance and time to ultimately prevent endangering or harming others.

Only in rare and justified cases where an immediate danger is imminent an exception of the above is permitted.

Thank you for sharing but these things almost everyone knows. How can you overtake if your speed is lower than the person you want to pass, absolutely impossible.

Plus, I'm talking about the case when you're overtaking and the person speeds up and won't let you overtake. It's not the case that you have to speed up when passing, this goes without saying. ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator

• Nody locked this topic

Archived