Tips on overtaking in road traffic

Interstate Nomad

Hello fellow truckers,

I've decided to provide some tips on overtaking in road traffic.
Please note that I raise no claim to completeness. Feel free to add your tips in the comments below.

Do you really need to overtake?
Naturally, you should answer this question to yourself before you start overtaking.

Is it safe to overtake?
Overtaking is a challenging maneuver. You must make sure that neither you or others are endangered during the whole maneuver.

Start with checking your mirrors and ensure following traffic isn't overtaking you!

Keep the safety distance (3-seconds-rule) to the road user ahead to see more of what's happening in front.

Before starting your overtaking maneuver, use your turn indicator to let others know your intentions.

In general, it is not safe to overtake

• where prohibited by no-overtaking signage
  • on narrow roads
  • in roadworks
  • near pedestrian crossings
  • near road crossings
  • near railroad crossings
  • before or in bends
  • near hill tops

Make sure you have and give enough room for overtaking, namely don't cut off other road users when going back to your lane after overtaking.

Get familiar with the size of your vehicle and give extra room for possible trailers.

Move quickly!
The longer you take, the more dangerous it becomes. That's why you need to be significantly faster than the road user you intend to overtake. Nothing is more dangerous than two vehicles driving at the same speed next to each other.
If you can't go faster than the road user you intend to overtake, stop the maneuver! Slow down and change back to your lane behind.

Never force yourself back on the lane by ramming others off the road.

Thanks for your attention! ?
Drive safely.

Hello,

Thank you for creating this topic. These are great tips and you can also add some of the following:

• Always check in front of you, how many vehicles you have in front of you, if it is really necessary to overtake you, do it one at a time and always on a straight line, so you will have a better view on the opposite side of the road and you can see if any vehicle in this direction.
  • GPS and mirrors are also very essential for such situations, always use them.

As @[MCG] Kien Giang mentioned, if you want to play it safe, cheat a little bit and check the GPS to see if there is someone coming in the other direction.

Another tip I would give: be aware of your cargo weight! It's not because you could overtake last time in some distance in a specific area that you will be able to do the same now with this new cargo! Cargo weight is key for the overtaking distance.

In the same logic, be aware of your truck performance (engine power, type of gearbox). If you recently switched from one truck/spec to another, it probably won't have the same performance and you should adapt your overtaking procedure accordingly.

Hello topic author and other users,

You try to overtake in a corner and the players behind don't want to give you room, they close the gap. (remember, it has to give way)
Drive right onto the lawn, turn on your quads and wait safely where you are, so as not to confuse or endanger traffic.

Kind Regards,

Shadel

TruckersMP Veteran Driver I

2025704570_role_Add-OnTeam2.jpg   

Youtube | Steam | TruckersMP 

Discord = Shadel#0001

33 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

Hangi durumu tarif ettiğinizi anlamadım ama virajlarda/virajlarda sollamanız önerilmez.

Hi, what I mean is that you don't understand, it's a bit strange, but I'll explain again.
You said that if you go overtaking, take your place back when you realize you can't overtake.
what if there is another truck from my old place?
so this is exactly what to do if a novice player moves into my old place. It is valid everywhere, whether it is a bend or a normal straight road.
When you realize that you can't overtake, your old place is full and the players don't give way to you
all you have to do is immediately drive to the grass and park. Do not neglect to burn the quad so that no one will be harmed.

I assume you understand now @blabberbeak 

Kind Regards,

Shadel

2025704570_role_Add-OnTeam2.jpg   

Youtube | Steam | TruckersMP 

Discord = Shadel#0001

1 hour ago, Shadel said:

Hi, what I mean is that you don't understand, it's a bit strange, but I'll explain again.
You said that if you go overtaking, take your place back when you realize you can't overtake.
what if there is another truck from my old place?
so this is exactly what to do if a novice player moves into my old place. It is valid everywhere, whether it is a bend or a normal straight road.
When you realize that you can't overtake, your old place is full and the players don't give way to you
all you have to do is immediately drive to the grass and park. Do not neglect to burn the quad so that no one will be harmed.

I assume you understand now @blabberbeak 

Kind Regards,

Shadel

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

Every road traffic user is required to behave in such a way that no one else is harmed, endangered, hindered or bothered.

Consequently, if a road user has to abort an overtaking maneuver and needs to change back to his lane, following traffic is required to slow down/ provide sufficient space so that changing back is safely possible.

31 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

Obrigado pela explicação detalhada. 

Todo utente do trânsito rodoviário é obrigado a comportar-se de forma a que ninguém mais seja prejudicado, posto em perigo, prejudicado ou incomodado.

Conseqüentemente, se um usuário da estrada tiver que abortar uma manobra de ultrapassagem e precisar mudar de volta para sua faixa, o tráfego de acompanhamento é necessário para diminuir a velocidade / fornecer espaço suficiente para que a mudança de volta seja possível com segurança.

self-passing is considered one of the most dangerous maneuvers you can do. 

What we learn from books when we get our driving license is not always the best thing to put into practice on a daily basis. 

In the case of overtaking a vehicle, there are many aspects that we must take into account before doing so. 

6 hours ago, "RICKY" said:

self-passing is considered one of the most dangerous maneuvers you can do. 

What we learn from books when we get our driving license is not always the best thing to put into practice on a daily basis. 

In the case of overtaking a vehicle, there are many aspects that we must take into account before doing so. 

This is a topic where he is giving advice on overtaking, he doesn't mention that you should overtake everywhere.

I agree with you that overtaking can be dangerous, but if you overtake properly and follow the advice above, I'm sure you'll be safer.

Something that people keep forgetting even on real life , When you see someone overtaking infront of you , keep a space in case the person ahead cant do the manuever and have to return to the lane ....

I see alot players doing exactly the opposite , when they see someone overtaking they speed up a bit in order to take the space away and the guy who is overtaking if for some reason cant do the manueveur gets  trapped in a wrong lane with a vehicle side by side.....

Dont do it , always keep huge space when see someone overtaking other for safe of everyone ingame and irl.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, THE ROCK - PT said:

Something that people keep forgetting even on real life , When you see someone overtaking infront of you , keep a space in case the person ahead cant do the manuever and have to return to the lane ....

I see alot players doing exactly the opposite , when they see someone overtaking they speed up a bit in order to take the space away and the guy who is overtaking if for some reason cant do the manueveur gets  trapped in a wrong lane with a vehicle side by side.....

Dont do it , always keep huge space when see someone overtaking other for safe of everyone ingame and irl.

I don't fully agree with that.

Ultimately it's the responsibility of the person overtaking to evaluate the situation and decide if it's safe to overtake or not. The person should check if there is space between the 2 trucks in front and make a decision on whether he/she can safely overtake or not.

That said, if there is space and the person next to you accelerates to prevent you to go back on the right side of the road, that's indeed bad and reckless driving from this player! But the person being overtaken shouldn't have to brake to give you space.

Same logic as when you are entering the motorway, the person who's already on the motorway shouldn't have to brake to let you in. You need to wait for the right moment when there is enough space to merge.

Participating in road traffic requires permanent caution and mutual consideration.

In particular, you mustn't harm, endanger, hinder or bother others.

Overtaking is no exception.

This means, neither the overtaking driver nor the driver(s) being overtaken is (are) allowed to behave in a way that would violate this rule.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Foobrother said:

I don't fully agree with that

The person whos behind watching its also responsable for keep space ahead incase the person who is overtaking cant do the maneuver , its called common sense and if you dont keep space you also are putting yourself in danger in case of collision etc .

On 7/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Foobrother said:

Same logic as when you are entering the motorway, the person who's already on the motorway shouldn't have to brake to let you in. You need to wait for the right moment when there is enough space to merge.

On motorways who are inside should pass from right lane to the middle lane to allow others to enter , i know theres no rules saying you have to do it but remember the enter way in motorways are called "acelerate lanes" for some reason so you can achive the same speed and merge into , but at end theres always a give way sign , its all common sense , if everyone would help each other the roads would actually work properly.

5 hours ago, THE ROCK - PT said:

The person whos behind watching its also responsable for keep space ahead incase the person who is overtaking cant do the maneuver , its called common sense and if you dont keep space you also are putting yourself in danger in case of collision etc .

On motorways who are inside should pass from right lane to the middle lane to allow others to enter , i know theres no rules saying you have to do it but remember the enter way in motorways are called "acelerate lanes" for some reason so you can achive the same speed and merge into , but at end theres always a give way sign , its all common sense , if everyone would help each other the roads would actually work properly.

These "common sense" scenarios are only working during ideal situations when you have nobody behind you or on your left (on the motorway). Braking when there is no traffic light or stop signal is dangerous as well. Even when you want to let someone in on the motorway.

Obviously you don't want to generate an accident and braking can be common sense in the real life. In-game maybe less. Also, remember that, the more concessions to the rules, the more people will bend the rules. So the more people brake to give enough space, the more people will expect this to happen when they overtake, even if they know from the start that they don't have enough space.

Before you overtake, make sure your truck is faster than palyer who is in front of you, and don't forget to check your GPS, it can let you know Is there anyone in the opposite lane. Than you can overtake safely. But if you have  cargo in your truck, the best way is follow players, because you don't konw how many cargo he has. 

At last, drive carefully is the first. Driving pleasure!

-Kind regards.

-SG Team.

-Donald.

It is best not to overtake at night and avoid unnecessary accidents, such as coming Calais to Duisburg on the Sim1 server

Language: Chinese/English

Discord:hengya0512            I want everyone to be able to drive safely on the road!❤️

21 minutes ago, dajokr said:

The one rule that would cover them all, would be "Use common sense".  I know, I know, many have no idea what that is...

Depends if you want to play simulation or something in between Arcade and Simulation.

Normally if you want to play simulation you follow the same rules as in real life. Say "this person didn't use common sense" to a police man who stopped you because you forced your way in the motorway and the other person didn't brake or change lane to let you in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Manager

Hey! 

Due to the fact that this topic has been inactive for over 14 days (2 weeks,) I have to archive this topic. However, don't let this deter your activity on our forums! We encourage activity, as we love hearing what you love to talk about! Make sure to stay healthy! 

//Locked and Archived

1646005585_role_CommunityManager(1).png.          

Appeal your ban - Report a player - Create a feedback ticket

Archived