Why is everyone in such a hurry?

DrBoom45

This is a genuine question I’m asking myself.

I have only played on ETS2 Simulation 1, so your mileage may vary. 

whenever I am happily trucking around, everyone seems to be overtaking me or getting impatient really fast. I’ve started a new save recently and actually quite enjoy the experience of my truck struggling uphill and not being able to just accelerate like mad with that 750bhp engine. Obviously this means that I will be very slow sometimes, but that’s what it’s like in RL as well. Sometimes trucks struggle and need to go slow. 

now, I also tend to take corners as realistic as possible. You would hardly find a trucker risking to tip over their truck just to corner as fast as possible. While there is always the odd lunatic trucker IRL going more or less flat out whenever, even they know when to brake and not go way too fast. 

Then there are times when I do in fact reach max speed, however I tend to limit myself to 10kmh over the posted speed limit, with 90 max (95 with cruise control going down hill as I set it to a 5kmh tolerance, which is probably not too unrealistic). On windy roads I don’t even dare doing the speed limit and just take it easy. 

It doesn’t matter which type of road, 95% of the players I encounter (if not more) go faster. Faster than 90 km/h. Faster than 100 km/h. In fact, I’ve once tried keeping up with one of them and even going 100 km/h wasn’t enough. 

for me, part of playing on a simulation server is actually treating this like a simulation, but I seem to be with a minority here. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had some amazing drives with others that don’t overtake at all costs, keep their distance and don’t race their trucks at full speed and I’ve loved it. This is the experience I’m here for. 

Let’s cut to the question now. If you are among those that drive their trucks at over 90 km/h, why do you do it? Isn’t the simulation server supposed to be limited to 90 anyway? Why not take it to the arcade server if it’s about going as fast as physically possible? 

I don’t mean to be salty or tell anyone how to play the game. For me, personally, while this breaks the immersion it usually doesn’t hurt me. Apart from the occasional troll with complete disregard to any road safety, most people overtake quite safely, if you factor out the speed they are going. 

let me know what you think about this, please. Genuinely interested in your experiences and thoughts on this!

I think I have a rough idea of what's going on. Obviously this doesn't cover all of the player base that likes to drive fast, but this should give you somewhat of an idea.
Some of them do it for content, they make these "dangerous manoeuvres" videos and it shows them doing these dangerous overtakes. Sometimes on the grass, while driving very fast, and usually down the famed C-D road (which I condemn, of course).

Others don't have a care in the world, because it's just a game and they can drive as fast as they want. I would usually tell these sorts of players to drive on Arcade server if that's the case.
Some of them think the designated speed limits set by SCS are too slow.

You'll come across some good drivers who obey the traffic laws and speed limits every now and again, and it's great when that happens. Personally I like to drive around 90km/h.

Hello,

As said above, you will find some players that respect all of the rules but you’re gonna have to get use to a majority not respecting anything, basically trolling those who play by the rules.

My suggestion, avoid the places with a lot people, like calais - duisburg road, the alpine road.

if you have promods, just go on the promods server, less players and less trolls

That’s what I do ?

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have the exact same question as yours.

When I am sticking with the speed limit (if that's 80km/h I go 80km/h), they still went to overtake. Turning at a hairpin, if there are no loads, I normally do 30km/h; With loads, probably not faster than 25km/h.

And they started to yell at me to "drive faster".

Stucking in a traffic jam on the other hand, they now turned into a loudspeaker: Horn spam, honk at someone hundreds of meters away which that truck can't hear. And even after the confliction, they won't stop honking. 

I used to say that if you are in a hurry, use the Arcade servers. 

No speed limit, risk-free overtaking, no need to worry for causing a collision.

With all these benefits, they still decide to use the Simulation servers.

Unfortunately you have only 2 choices!

You can drive on the whole Map to every Location, but if you are driving mostly Alone, you will not meet much People on your Way. Or, you have more Players around you when you are driving in such Areas like Duisburg - Calais or other high populated Areas, with the Risk of being trolled by Players who give a **** on the Rules and playing TruckersMP only with the purpose to cause trouble.

The Game Modrators working as hard as they can to deal with these Trolls, but it seems they are fighting against Windmills. The fact is, as long you are playing the Game like a Simulator, you are fine. I am driving In-Game, like i would drive in Real Life and it doesn´t bother me, that there are some few Players who thinking that they need to drive as fast as possible without taking care for me or their environment.

I enjoying my hard Physic Settings, which make it difficult and challenging to keep the Truck safely on the Road, and i also enjoying my J-Spec Truck with 330 HP, 16 Gear-Shifter and 90 Kph Limiter. With this Setup, i can haul all Standard Cargos till 25 Tons and reach all Speed Limits without blocking other Players, i am just a bit Slower in Acceleration and Hillclimbing.  And yes, i driving often in high populated Areas mostly without major damage. And for the Case that some other Player thinking he need to intentionally wrecking me, i have a recording.

I only do World of Trucks External jobs, so my speed is limited at 90 Km/h and I usually drive slower than that, because I like to follow the posted limits. Even on highways where the limit is 90 or 100 Km/h, if my cargo has the round 80 sticker on the back, I'll do 80 Km/h, because that's how I understand a "Simulator". A truck driver can lose their license if they break the rules and this means losing their jobs (temporarily or not), this is not something that a professional would want to risk.

Regarding those "Pedal to the metal" players, my theory is that too many people can only see a multiplayer game as something where they need to defeat others. You can see that they use the biggest trucks: 8x4/4 chassis, 700+ engines, all kind of junk and the most expensive accessories, making their trucks look like something you wouldn't see in any European road on a daily basis. I have nothing against customization, but... Those people do with their trucks the same they would do in a deathmatch FPS game: Get the biggest gun with the most expensive (so supposedly best) add-ons you can install.

And they can just cheat their money so they don't need to do jobs at all, or worry about repairing costs (and they have /fix or loading autosaves to spend zero money when their vehicles get damaged), they can tweak their settings to have a truck+trailer that will move like a train on rails, full stabilities, hard suspensions, super-brakes, low weight cargo (or empty trailers, since they don't even need to haul anything for the money)... They only want to drive fast, as fast as they can and find others to overtake. Which is simply stupid in TruckersMP, because the ones who drive slower usually don't care about being overtaken and the ones who care will be going as fast as these "ricers", making it impossible to overtake...

About the arcade server, it's been explained a lot of times. They could use it to drive way faster than 110 Km/h (this is the server limit in ETS2 Simulation, not 90 Km/h, BTW). But in Arcade there are no collisions among players... This, according to them "Is not realistic", so they refuse to use it. Another nonsense, because if you want it realistic, you wouldn't want to drive a loaded truck at 150+ Km/h... So, the "deathmatch" players won't use Arcade simply because it can never be a real deathmatch if they can't destroy others in case of collisions...

Of course, all of the above comments are exclusively my thoughts and opinions as a 7+ years long player in TruckersMP.

Guest - Pink Ribbon -

Its frustrating ofcourse people think it's alright to just Inap overtake because they are "In a rush". There really isn't a valid reason for them to be in a rush except they just want to be reckless as in real life they'd be pulled over in an instant if caught. But all you can really do is report and move on and hope they get caught eventually as it's nearly a guarentee they will collide with another user being in a rush or just go to a less populated area if it is an issue.

Even though I said there really isnt any valid reason to be in a rush, there is ofcourse delivering cargo as a job but I doubt all the people in a rush are doing a job ?

You sound like a like-minded person. If you want to do jobs together, reach out to me, thanks

I agree with the OP 100%

11 hours ago, DrBoom45 said:

This is a genuine question I’m asking myself.

I have only played on ETS2 Simulation 1, so your mileage may vary. 

whenever I am happily trucking around, everyone seems to be overtaking me or getting impatient really fast. I’ve started a new save recently and actually quite enjoy the experience of my truck struggling uphill and not being able to just accelerate like mad with that 750bhp engine. Obviously this means that I will be very slow sometimes, but that’s what it’s like in RL as well. Sometimes trucks struggle and need to go slow. 

now, I also tend to take corners as realistic as possible. You would hardly find a trucker risking to tip over their truck just to corner as fast as possible. While there is always the odd lunatic trucker IRL going more or less flat out whenever, even they know when to brake and not go way too fast. 

Then there are times when I do in fact reach max speed, however I tend to limit myself to 10kmh over the posted speed limit, with 90 max (95 with cruise control going down hill as I set it to a 5kmh tolerance, which is probably not too unrealistic). On windy roads I don’t even dare doing the speed limit and just take it easy. 

It doesn’t matter which type of road, 95% of the players I encounter (if not more) go faster. Faster than 90 km/h. Faster than 100 km/h. In fact, I’ve once tried keeping up with one of them and even going 100 km/h wasn’t enough. 

for me, part of playing on a simulation server is actually treating this like a simulation, but I seem to be with a minority here. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had some amazing drives with others that don’t overtake at all costs, keep their distance and don’t race their trucks at full speed and I’ve loved it. This is the experience I’m here for. 

Let’s cut to the question now. If you are among those that drive their trucks at over 90 km/h, why do you do it? Isn’t the simulation server supposed to be limited to 90 anyway? Why not take it to the arcade server if it’s about going as fast as physically possible? 

I don’t mean to be salty or tell anyone how to play the game. For me, personally, while this breaks the immersion it usually doesn’t hurt me. Apart from the occasional troll with complete disregard to any road safety, most people overtake quite safely, if you factor out the speed they are going. 

let me know what you think about this, please. Genuinely interested in your experiences and thoughts on this!

Mainly because the game doesn't feel like Simulation. The problem with TMP is that it tries to enforce Simulation driving in the wrong way, by applying a speed limit for instance. But here's the thing. If i max braking intensity & trailer+truck stability, it doesn't matter how fast i go because every time i'll be able to react in time. You have to be extra reckless to crash with these settings. So the game basically allows the players to drive fast and at the same time not crash or lose control of their truck.

So it's really not a Simulation just because the name of the Server implies so. To be honest though, i've driven with the opposite settings aswell and i admit that it is quite enjoyable because it feels that you actually have to be extra cautious to not lose control of your truck and if you speed a bit further that you should, you'll definitely crash. In that scenario, i drive slow because i don't want to crash, not because the game put a limit on me ("To make it feel like Simulation"). But if the Simulation server does not enforce these settings upon all players, i find it meaningless to always drive like that.

Personally i think that, If TMP wants their Sim Server to actually be a Simulation they need to consider it. Otherwise the game feels more arcade than Simulation and nobody will ever stop driving at top speed no matter where he is. 

People overtake even in the Austrian mountains. If you reduce braking intensity + stability, these overtakes will always lead to crashes and eventually people would stop doing it. But until then, i don't expect driving culture to change when it's encouraged not to.

As an advocate of realistic driving, I'm happy to see so many like-minded players. Thank you for speaking out! ?

Because of the above, I can't answer your question. I'd assume it's a matter of competitive necessity, according to the principle "faster, harder, louder".

As @FernandoCR [ESP] pointed out correctly, they refuse to use the arcade server, because they regard it as unrealistic and boring if the possibility of crashing is taken away.

I wish all of you a safe journey.

to be honest im someone who drives 110 kmh if possible (a truck can actually drive that fast when they arent limited)  and even then people tell me that im slow because i drove a 510 hp daf which has a crappy accelaration. weird that their 10 year younger 730hp 6 speed Scania accelerates faster. i dont know what you exactly drive but hopefully not a 320 hp renault with the 61 ton train which i dont think since you sayd you try to play very realistic... that would be an example where i can understand that the players behind u get angry.

Well, this is internet/games world, you cannot expect everybody to be super serious and in super simulation mode as you want, everybody enjoy this game (other aswell) as wants, in this case going faster :troll:

It's like someone come to you asking/complaining why you only go 90 when you can do more, i mean you enjoy it that way (real simulation), others enjoy going more than 90, there is no right or wrong, i mean what's matter it's how the player enjoy playing that specific game

Reality it's reality, gaming it's gaming ?

spacer.png _raffaele_ spacer.png

18 hours ago, _EURØPEANTRUCKS_VJ said:

to be honest im someone who drives 110 kmh if possible (a truck can actually drive that fast when they arent limited)  and even then people tell me that im slow because i drove a 510 hp daf which has a crappy accelaration. weird that their 10 year younger 730hp 6 speed Scania accelerates faster. i dont know what you exactly drive but hopefully not a 320 hp renault with the 61 ton train which i dont think since you sayd you try to play very realistic... that would be an example where i can understand that the players behind u get angry.

My car does over 250 km/h irl, should I go pedal to the metal every time I can? Probably not. Speed limits are there for a reason and this is no different for trucks. For trucks it’s mostly not about acceleration but braking. Making a car stop in time is difficult enough, doing so with a truck at over 100 km/h that’s carrying an extra 20 tons pushing from behind is even more challenging. So it’s either a very slow stop or very fast if you hit the wall or someone else. 
I do agree with you on that second part, pulling something really heavy in a slow truck would be frustrating to everyone - including myself. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not condemning the way you drive as long as you’re not reckless, I just find your reasoning to do so illogical. 

15 hours ago, _rs_italy_ said:

Well, this is internet/games world, you cannot expect everybody to be super serious and in super simulation mode as you want, everybody enjoy this game (other aswell) as wants, in this case going faster :troll:

It's like someone come to you asking/complaining why you only go 90 when you can do more, i mean you enjoy it that way (real simulation), others enjoy going more than 90, there is no right or wrong, i mean what's matter it's how the player enjoy playing that specific game

Reality it's reality, gaming it's gaming ?

While I agree with you on everyone enjoying the game their way you seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the question. I have never said that my way is the right way, if you read my op carefully you will find that I explicitly say it is fine if you go faster, as long as you’re not reckless. 

many here have spoken out to feel the way I do but that does not mean that either way of playing the game is right or wrong. As others have pointed out, TMP allow this kind of arcady driving so you may as well do it. 

what I want to understand is why do you find it more enjoyable to go as fast as possible on a simulation server that advocates sticking to the speed limit and 90 km/h max speed? They may not limit you to this but in the rules they clearly state that it is the recommended way of playing on simulation servers. 

why do you prefer playing like this on Simulation 1 instead of the Arcade server? It’s just me trying to understand a different way of enjoying this game. 

I feel like TMP have done this the wrong way around. Lift the 110 km/h server-wide speed limit and keep collisions active. Then rename Simulation 1 to Arcade. 

Then add another server with strict simulation rules. I’d genuinely be interested to see the spread of players between those two servers. 

wouldn’t this make everyone happy?

1 hour ago, DrBoom45 said:

While I agree with you on everyone enjoying the game their way you seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the question. I have never said that my way is the right way, if you read my op carefully you will find that I explicitly say it is fine if you go faster, as long as you’re not reckless. 

many here have spoken out to feel the way I do but that does not mean that either way of playing the game is right or wrong. As others have pointed out, TMP allow this kind of arcady driving so you may as well do it. 

Seems that someone else missunderstood the answer ?, you got triggered over nothing, i never said that you said it's the right way to play or it's the right way to play, if you read my answer carefully you will find out that it's a generic statement ? 

what I want to understand is why do you find it more enjoyable to go as fast as possible on a simulation server that advocates sticking to the speed limit and 90 km/h max speed? They may not limit you to this but in the rules they clearly state that it is the recommended way of playing on simulation servers. 

why do you prefer playing like this on Simulation 1 instead of the Arcade server? It’s just me trying to understand a different way of enjoying this game. 

Reccommended does not equal to be mandatory (to avoid again a missunderstanding, this does not mean you said or mean that it should be, seeing how it went before, lol), so if you can manage going 110 i don't see the problem, depend on the approach you have with the game, this goes back to my previous statements

spacer.png _raffaele_ spacer.png

This question has been answered in previous posts... It would seem that those who like to drive fast only like it as long as there is the chance to collide with other players. They can't do that in Arcade servers, so they don't use it, even when they would be able to drive way faster than 110 Km/h. It's a typical oxymoron in TruckersMP community, the players who complain about no collisions being "unrealistic" and at the same time complain about not being able to drive at unrealistic speeds...

I feel like TMP have done this the wrong way around. Lift the 110 km/h server-wide speed limit and keep collisions active. Then rename Simulation 1 to Arcade. 

There are many people that have asked for this exact same thing, but the answer from TruckersMP has always been the same: NO WAY. This is how it used to be in the past and even with 150 Km/h speed limit in the "Arcade" server (the name used to be #EU2), the workload for the game moderation team had become unbearable. Besides, it's not what the TMP team is aiming for, from what I understand. If they wanted to have a NFS style mod, they'd simply remove the Simulation servers and most of the rules...

16 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

There are many people that have asked for this exact same thing, but the answer from TruckersMP has always been the same: NO WAY. This is how it used to be in the past and even with 150 Km/h speed limit in the "Arcade" server (the name used to be #EU2), the workload for the game moderation team had become unbearable. Besides, it's not what the TMP team is aiming for, from what I understand. If they wanted to have a NFS style mod, they'd simply remove the Simulation servers and most of the rules...

i just wouldn’t bother moderating. It’s an arcade server. If you want realistic driving without ramming or excessive speeding then you’re free to join the „new simulation“ server with actual simulation rules. And with the way it is today, people get kicked and banned right and left already (and rightly so) so this really shouldn’t mean any more work for the mods. 

I have a feeling that this will not happen as people like me, who like driving realistically, are definitely the minority on simulation as it stands today, even though it’s quite the opposite in this thread. 

My car does over 250 km/h irl, should I go pedal to the metal every time I can? Probably not. Speed limits are there for a reason and this is no different for trucks. For trucks it’s mostly not about acceleration but braking. Making a car stop in time is difficult enough, doing so with a truck at over 100 km/h that’s carrying an extra 20 tons pushing from behind is even more challenging. So it’s either a very slow stop or very fast if you hit the wall or someone else. 
I do agree with you on that second part, pulling something really heavy in a slow truck would be frustrating to everyone - including myself. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not condemning the way you drive as long as you’re not reckless, I just find your reasoning to do so illogical. 

i drive 110 when its physically possible without being reckless

32 minutes ago, DrBoom45 said:

i just wouldn’t bother moderating. It’s an arcade server. If you want realistic driving without ramming or excessive speeding then you’re free to join the „new simulation“ server with actual simulation rules. And with the way it is today, people get kicked and banned right and left already (and rightly so) so this really shouldn’t mean any more work for the mods. 

I have a feeling that this will not happen as people like me, who like driving realistically, are definitely the minority on simulation as it stands today, even though it’s quite the opposite in this thread. 

I am not and have never been a game moderator. But I'm pretty sure that before Road to Simulation, when EU#1 had 90 Km/h limit and EU#2 had 150 Km/h limit AND collisions, the work for the moderators was a lot higher than when Road to Siimulation changes were done and Simulation became 110 Km/h limited and Arcade became no speed limited with NO collisions. Players in Arcade would send almost no reports (only hacks and language related rules are applied there) and players in Simulation 1 would also send less reports because it's way easier to avoid crashes at 110 Km/h than it is at 150 Km/h.

I'm not talking about the server moderation or the in-game reports... It's the web reports that become an issue when players are allowed to speed too much. This has been proven in the past and one of the reasons that made TruckersMP implement the Road to Simulation changes, if I'm not wrong.

But we are going off-topic. At the end of the day, like some other users have correctly mentioned, it's up to each player how they want to play in TruckersMP servers. Some like to go the "realistic" way, following the real life rules, speed limits, signs, etc. Others just like to drive to the limits of what they are allowed. I used to keep my stabilities, suspensions and brakes at zero (I decided to raise them a bit after some "close encounters" with reckless drivers). Others will just set them to the maximums so they don't need to worry about safety distances, about slowing down when turning and so on. Since the game allows both options, there's nothing to be said against any "styles". Other than "I don't get why someone would choose a truck simulator when there are so many games where speeding is the goal..." ?

I am kinda both. 

I do drive 100 kmh on highways and so - where its possible. But Im not that fan of overtaking, scared to ruin for myself or the other player. And other times I stick to 90 kmh, and slower on small roads. It depens on where I am, what cargo I have, if Im here for logging miles or if Im here for looking around. It all depens on my mood, other traffic and so on. So to your question, why I drive 100-110 when a real trucker wont? Well sometimes highways are boring roads - and I want to get quick to more interesting parts. But I dont overtake unless the other driver drives really slow for no reason tho. So yes - I do sometimes drive 100-105-110 - but its not because Im in a rush. For me this game is about relaxing - not rushing around. 

Guest Aurris

The way most people see the game is something balanced between simulation and arcade. You've got the simulation fans: These type of players obey the designated speed limit, they don't use any money or level cheat and earn it by themselves, some of them literally build a full on ETS2 simulation setup and so on. Basically they just want to feel like they are driving a truck on a highway for real. Then, there are the balanced players: These type of players usually drive at 110, they generally use money and level cheats so they can use whatever modifications trucks etc. they want, they usually drive on busy areas like C-D Alpines or Kirkenes and they just wanna chill and have fun in general... However they know that this is not a racing game and follow the rules. And as a bonus, you've got the trolls and no need to talk about them ?

My understanding of the situation is that you have 3 types of players (excluding the complete idiots who are there just to ram into people and cause chaos):

• Players like you who play proper simulation, follow all the rules, drive like in the real life, and enjoy it (I'm also in that category)
  • Players who follow most of the rules but don't respect speed limits because they find it boring. But they overtake properly and don't take risks.
  • Players who follow very little rules (overtake anywhere, don't always respect traffic lights, use shortcuts, etc...). They are most of the time racing and take a lot of risks. At this stage I think they are just taking this game as a urban truck racing simulation.

Regarding your question about why they don't go on the Arcade server, I think the only reason is the number of players. It's more fun for any of the above players to play with 2000+ other players on the road rather than <100 players.

As I said, I'm the same type of player as you. And, as long as people don't crash into me, I don't mind everyone overtaking me. And I actually do enjoy making massive queues because I'm respecting the speed limits. And if you look at your mirror you will often find that the ones overtaking are crashing between each other behind you (fun to watch ?). Rarely while next to you. I rarely get involved into crashes generated by someone who's trying to overtake me.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

I used to keep my stabilities, suspensions and brakes at zero (I decided to raise them a bit after some "close encounters" with reckless drivers). Others will just set them to the maximums so they don't need to worry about safety distances, about slowing down when turning and so on

Would be amazing if they could force this setting to something realistic on the Simulation server or simply remove it completely from the game! When I see people taking a tight/sharp curve at 90-100km/h I'm really wondering why you would allow that on a Truck Simulator?!!

In real life, I think about the speed limits a lot, and there is a simple answer as to why people do not follow them: Where I live, the speed limits are not realistic at all (this goes both ways - 50 km/h where it should be 30 km/h, and 90 km/h where it should be at least 110 km/h).

Here, there is a different answer: video games feel slow, especially with the default FOV of most SCS trucks, although this problem is not exclusive to SCS; instead I actually think it's done better in ETS2 than in many other games, but in the case of racing games there is a good video essay to explain some of the reasons these games feel slow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OriySqLjQ. This creates a culture where people just want to get where they are going without worrying about anything other than just driving.

Any and all opinions are my own. Generalizations and interpretations are based on public information and do not reflect the positions of any organization.

Archived