Does playing ETS2 & ATS make your real-life driving experience any different?

Amauryeen

Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does playing ETS2 & ATS make your real-life driving experience any different?

• Yes
    • No

Most of the players that play ETS2/ATS probably have a driving license in real life. So let's say you've been playing the game for hours and then decide to shut the computer down to go to the market using your car. After such a long time of driving in a game, do you feel any different when driving in real life?

When you happen to speed in-game, do you sometimes see yourself speeding in real life as well? If you happen to be ignoring all "STOP" signs in-game when there's no player around, do you do it in real life when no one is around as well because of that, as an habit?

I'll be doing my driving learning soon, and since I'm playing a lot of ETS2 recently, I am a bit worried if it could alter my real life learning, since a truck is very different from a car in so much aspects, and respecting the speed limitations in-game is very difficult because almost everybody doesn't respect them so you end up being honked a lot.

• Amauryeen changed the title to Does playing ETS2 & ATS make your real-life driving experience any different?

Hi!

I would say it can make your driving experience different because you gain an understanding of fundamental traffic regulations and driving rules. It will also aid you with judgement of other vehicle's positioning. I'm still doing my driving lessons and got my third practical test booked this July (I failed the other two practical tests) so I can't exactly give a best response here.

2 hours ago, iAmaury said:

When you happen to speed in-game, do you sometimes see yourself speeding in real life as well? If you happen to be ignoring all "STOP" signs in-game when there's no player around, do you do it in real life when no one is around as well because of that, as an habit?

Generally, this is subjective to each individual. I sometimes do speed in ETS2 or ATS but most of the time, I do follow traffic rules regardless. However, I do not always think it might be possible for bad habits from a simulator to pass onto driving in real life. As you gain experience in driving, it will eventually come to you naturally to avoid these bad habits so I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

2 hours ago, iAmaury said:

I'll be doing my driving learning soon, and since I'm playing a lot of ETS2 recently, I am a bit worried if it could alter my real life learning, since a truck is very different from a car in so much aspects, and respecting the speed limitations in-game is very difficult because almost everybody doesn't respect them so you end up being honked a lot.

Regarding this, I wouldn't worry about this as instructors do not expect you to drive 100% perfectly. I can agree people in TMP can be quite toxic when it comes to slow vehicles but you shouldn't worry about other people's driving because their actions and behaviours will come with consequences. I myself sometimes respect speed limits and the amount of drivers honking or making a close pass is abysmal but sadly you can't change their attitude. 

I hope this helps ?

banner

I have a driver's license in reality, I think there is some gap between reality and the game, but I basically obey the traffic rules, but I have time to speed and not drive according to the speed limit.

Kind regards,

Tonyyy

卡车司机-标志-sm.png

It sure does. IRL I don't see drivers trying to overtake using the hard shoulder, cutting me off because they started overtaking when a truck was oncoming on the opposite lane, making 90 degrees turns at 110 Km/h, honking like mad baboons because I'm following the speed limits... I mean, when I'm driving IRL everything feels so calmer, so peaceful when compared to TruckersMP...

On 5/26/2022 at 9:49 PM, Jenko90 said:

Not really, the only thing that may have ever impacted my IRL driving is trying to indicate with a flappy paddle when there are none available  ??

This happened to me too xDD I thought something is wrong with me after trying this. ?

But in fact it is hard to compare the driving style in real live and in the game. Just because I run red lights in game if nobody is there, it doesn't mean I do that in real life.. I never did and do this in real live a. e. 

Often I am in accidents because I am too fast in game (tipping over, or understeering) in curves. Not that often but in real life it's nearly impossible, because you have a complete different feeling over your vehicle.

So in my opinion driving in real life is mostly easier than in game and hard to compare with driving in game, even with professional equipment. 

:tmp: - Oyunda yapılan hareketler garip ve sıra dışı olsa da gerçek hayattaki sürüş algısının tamamen farklı olduğunu düşünüyorum. İyi bir konudan bahsettiğiniz için teşekkürler, dikkatli araba kullanan siz olun. :90:

2025704570_role_Add-OnTeam2.jpg   

Youtube | Steam | TruckersMP 

Discord = Shadel#0001

From someone who drives Semi's here and there I can say it definitely helps! More with ATS, you really understand the amount of space, and room you need to operate. From turns, acceleration, to braking ATS gives you an idea of what is needed to be successful. One big factor is turning right, ATS I can test to see what angle will fit with a 53 and 43 depending on the axles. In real life I use that to gauge my turns. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator.

• Nody locked this topic

Archived