Looking to the Future

Smoky

2 hours ago, TheReyzerOf said:

It's very sad to be in 2022 and to see that your favorite mod (Truckers MP) doesn't support linux despite the game (ETS2) being native.

I am very disappointed and this seems to be one thing that will never change. They will never look at us Linux users as an audience.

TruckersMP never said it will be cross-platform immediately. The game is completely different on Linux binary-wise, they will have to do the same thing (decompiling, porting, testing, bug fixing) again for each platform they support. ETS2 being native is a negative factor in that regard - TruckersMP should be native as well and support Linux native ecosystem in order for it to work. One cannot simply grab a Windows-native application and make it work against a Linux-native one without a hassle. 

Another factor is a cost vs. impact. Right now, Steam counts Linux user base as 1.12%, even less than macOS users. The real count for ETS2/ATS is unknown, but it is very rare to see a person playing these games not on Windows, in my experience.  We can estimate it as max. 50 people based on 4.688 concurrent player peak last week. It is not viable for 4.640 users to wait at least twice as long for an MP to update, just because those 50 people want to play on Linux. Sounds kinda harsh, but that is a crude reality. And do not forget about a cost associated with it. Game Devs will have to learn how to decompile/develop against a Linux-native app, this will require a substantial amount of time. 

There are benefits of having a Linux port of TruckersMP, but they are minor compared to a number of issues which will be introduced with it. Maybe in the far future, when TruckersMP will reach a beta stage, it will be mature enough to spend the time on porting.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, CJMAXiK said:

TruckersMP never said it will be cross-platform immediately. The game is completely different on Linux binary-wise, they will have to do the same thing (decompiling, porting, testing, bug fixing) again for each platform they support. ETS2 being native is a negative factor in that regard - TruckersMP should be native as well and support Linux native ecosystem in order for it to work. One cannot simply grab a Windows-native application and make it work against a Linux-native one without a hassle. 

Another factor is a cost vs. impact. Right now, Steam counts Linux user base as 1.12%, even less than macOS users. The real count for ETS2/ATS is unknown, but it is very rare to see a person playing these games not on Windows, in my experience.  We can estimate it as max. 50 people based on 4.688 concurrent player peak last week. It is not viable for 4.640 users to wait at least twice as long for an MP to update, just because those 50 people want to play on Linux. Sounds kinda harsh, but that is a crude reality. And do not forget about a cost associated with it. Game Devs will have to learn how to decompile/develop against a Linux-native app, this will require a substantial amount of time. 

There are benefits of having a Linux port of TruckersMP, but they are minor compared to a number of issues which will be introduced with it. Maybe in the far future, when TruckersMP will reach a beta stage, it will be mature enough to spend the time on porting.

I didn't say that they are obliged to do this, I said that a good part of the community asks for it, just search for "truckers mp on linux" and you will see the hacks that try to create, and even manage to run, but the headache for this is great. When you have an active community that uses your mod to the point where it breaks out of its default environment and goes to windows to make it work, you should at least tell them something.

Thanks for sharing the look into the future. ❤️

Collaborating with DBus is certainly an interesting idea to attract more players and improve the game experience. It even has the potential to spread the playerbase more evenly over the map.

It is definitely something new and worth giving a try.

Additionally, I'd like to see AI traffic introduced to TruckersMP. Are there any plans on continuing to invest time in that direction at all?

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, TheReyzerOf said:

When you have an active community that uses your mod to the point where it breaks out of its default environment and goes to windows to make it work, you should at least tell them something

They have been told already that Linux port is not planned for now, many times.

• 4 weeks later...

The topic mentions buses? .It seems the buses will arrive, perhaps during the summer season.

As far as TMP is concerned, if everything goes according to plan, it should happen soon. For real this time. Pinky promise (I hope I won't regret this). 

DBus World staff 29.06.2022

On 5/1/2022 at 12:57 PM, Smoky said:

Our lead Developer, mwl4, is currently working to improve our current codebase. This is a crucial task in order to fulfill one of our long term ambitions: to introduce AI traffic on TruckersMP servers. We are hoping to update you on AI traffic in TruckersMP later this year but we will have to see what the coming months will bring.

I am a big supporter of AI, but especially related things such as: trains at railroad crossings, trams in cities and more: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/99701-more-number-of-level-crossings-with-visible-trains-synchronized-on-truckersmp/ It must be admitted that SCS develops these issues with each dlc and they are more and more extensive and varied.So,  I keep my fingers crossed for support it.

• True Story 1

• James locked this topic
  • James unfeatured this topic