The Unhealthy Obsession with Traffic Jams?

Snow Sheltie

This is just an observation of mine. I notice that quite a lot of drivers will go out of their way to intentionally get stuck in traffic jams, even if there's no actual reason to take a particular road or street other than for a joyride.  The behavior's quite noticeable in the new TruckersMP area where I saw a ton of trucks stuck in gridlock on a series of narrow streets that don't lead to any industry, service or even along a travel route. Better yet, there's players getting into that mess on purpose and then getting mad about it. There really is no other game I have played or can even think of where player-created traffic jams is a common occurrence.

Now, it's one thing when you're heading to a very busy destination and the roads end up bottle-necking everyone into just one or two roads. It's another thing to seek out traffic jams just for the hell of it. I get this impression that a number of people have this instinctive drive to try to create unnecessary drama or stress for themselves and this is manifesting in some of the odd traffic patterns seen in this game. I don't like traffic jams in real life and I don't like dealing with them in a game so I generally go out of my way to avoid the worst areas or if I'm forced into those areas because I decided to take cargo to a really busy place (for some reason, I don't know, the occasional challenge of avoid the trolls?), I'll try to take the path of least resistance.

Those are my observations. Does anyone have anything they want to add to this?

I'd generally agree with your observations, however I wouldn't go as far as to say it's unhealthy.

The reality is that the ETS2 Map is very large, and seeing other players is generally a rare occurrence, unless you're in one of the known hotspots.

Seeing other people in the game is usually an enjoyable experience and that is what a lot of players aim to do.

In these areas, players tend to go there because it is busy, which makes it busier, and therefore encourages other players, almost in a positive feedback loop.

There is very little negative about this, although these areas can become increasingly congested, and some players may choose to drive exclusively in a small area (often the infamous "C-D Road"), however at the end of the day, it's their choice to do so, and I think it is great to see players enjoying the game, however and wherever they choose to do so (as long as they're following the rules ?).

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

I like how people that drive like complete lunatics are usually also the ones that complain the most in chat or over CB radio, amusing to watch when two of them clash.

I have been doing jobs in and out of TruckersMP HQ past two days just to get it all explored, even took a Scout car to explore the narrow streets section, because taking a truck there even without trailer is just stupid (and I have seen people with doubles there). There are just too many people ignoring any traffic rules for my taste, there's lot of junctions with traffic lights which people largely respect for now, but also many without them where people are obviously clueless who has right of way, not to mention people pulling out of places - there is quite a few,  without even looking, or driving super fast, provided most will experience low FPS here. I haven't reported anyone becasue it would be just waste of my time when I managed to avoid everything.

I will now avoid the area, just like Calais or Duisburg, unless there's another event (not convoys meh).

@.Quality Can you please look into this - I have noticed two places where there should be a yield sign, provided there's no other signage on adjacent roads. Not that someone will respect them, but things should be consistent.

After turning left while leaving TMP HQ you will immediatelly arrive at the first spot:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Continuing straight through the junction and folowing the street all the way to the end you will arive at this T junction without any signage.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Well after all TMP makes the game an MMO so people want to crowd together in certain spots because that's the point. I would personally love to travel all over the map in TMP but the problem is the roads are almost completely dead outside of CD road and most of Germany. If TMP could release AI traffic that problem would be solved and it will bring more people to TMP and maybe more people would be willing to spread out over the map.

Regarding AI traffic if you're curious I asked about it in the Q&A in January and this is what a dev had to say about it: 

We do it for some fun and the thrills. It is also simulates what it's like in a traffic jam xD

But I'm guilty of it, I've seen me divert my route along C-D just because i want to see people and the challenge of making it along the road without taking damage. The populated areas are the fun areas and it's where you will meet new people, Most the people i am fiends with now have came from C-D or HQ. As for the narrow roads in the middle of HQ there just challenging and entertaining.

I think Al traffic is a very bad Idea people can't drive as it is more so when waiting at traffic lights or other areas and all you hear is the honk honk of the horns plus if you over take AI and another one comes the other way and you couse a crash  admin can't ban AI  which inturn could course alot of problems for both players and admin  

Players don't have an obsession with traffic jams, they are attracted by other players.

First, it was the ports of Rotterdam.

The road between Duisburg and Calais is amother prime example. It isn't a challenging course of road, and there aren't any beautiful or interesting sight seeings on it.

Nevertheless, some players drive this road up and down all day.

The same is the case with the TruckersMP headquarters.

From a simulation point of view,  traffic jams are part of a truckers life and add to realism. Driving there intentionally however is a waste of time.

Adding to all that has been said so far, I'd say that this "obsession" of some players may seem unhealthy, but for sure is very healthy for all others... These places where so many players gather, be it the cities of Calais, Duisburg or Wroclaw, the C-D road, the TruckersMP HQ and so on, are also the places where most "Idiots on the road" and trolls will be, which makes all other places in the map safer for the rest of us who only want to drive our jobs peacefully.

4 hours ago, RYAN24 said:

I think Al traffic is a very bad Idea people can't drive as it is more so when waiting at traffic lights or other areas and all you hear is the honk honk of the horns plus if you over take AI and another one comes the other way and you couse a crash  admin can't ban AI  which inturn could course alot of problems for both players and admin  

No, people just got accustomed to emty roads where they can do as they please and ignore everything, only relying on blips on the map which still won't help them, because they are speeding so much they simply have only couple of seconds to react when they are already screwed. Nobody bloody looks around anymore.

Many have never experienced dealing with traffic in singleplayer and would be utterly unable to cope with SCS version of traffic, which can be very annoying at times, I must admitt, and using it on TMP servers would just not work very well.

If TMP devs manage to make the AI work, it could change everything and could bring much needed revival, I am really looking froward to that.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's unhealthy but indeed, it don't understand it. In the HQ event, for example, users would often complain about the traffic jams even though they could simply switch to a less crowded server. Another thing I notice is that users want to be in the traffic jams but are not ready to accept the consequences: there will be users overtaking the traffic jams, trolling and abusing CB/chat, remain calm and let us deal with them.   

"Step 3: Be Patient 

Everyday the road will get a traffic jam no matter what. Especially where the junction is for the motorway. People will be pulling off the motorway every second and if you was to overtake at the junction it will only cause more collisions. Most likely to cause collisions anyways with oncoming anyways. But never overtake if you're in a traffic jam. Be patient and stay in line. And try to stay calm."

So what I have to say is, if you really must sit in these traffic jams, beware of the rules and be patient! Don't try to take actions to your own hands.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not obsessed if you're going into the crowd you have to wait patiently.

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

Guest DBus_David.

I don't think that can count as unhealthy when some of the people who are obsessed with traffic jams.  I like the observations you have made and also totally agreed as  @.Quality said earlier. Personally, I don't like traffic jams cause it takes more time to deliver my cargos, and secondly, being in such traffic, they force all fast drivers or just everyone to go slow if they like it or not.  I think you have to be patient and relax at that moment. It will help you a lot.:HaulieLove:

I agree with you, but personally I do like the traffic jams sometimes, as a soon-to-be legal age for a driver's license, the feeling I get from traffic jams, or slow going traffic, feels incredibly good, I think I'm speaking for everyone when I'm sayin' that we love the traffic jams only because it's making it feel realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody

TruckersMP Forum Moderator.

• Nody locked this topic

Archived