[ANSWERED] [Dev] Mac OS support

akshay_095

Question

1 answer to this question

• Game Developer

Hello @akshay_095,

Thank you for your question.

This is one of the frequently suggested things. And while we quite explain why there is no ETA for it, and that it is not going to come any time soon, let me go a bit more into details.

First things first, let's start with mentioning that Mac OS has a different architecture than Windows. The binary of the game is then obviously different as well. Therefore, when there is a new update, we would not support only 2 binaries (Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator), but 4 - 2 games per each system. In the worst case, this would double the time required for supporting a new version. And with the frequency of updates from SCS, one developer would spend most of their time taking care of it. Or we would need more people working on these updates. Well, this is not really feasible with only 2 game developers.

However, this is not where it ends. Some of our own systems would have to be recreated for Mac OS, such as anti-cheat, crash logger, input system, or file system. Not only the initial support of a different operating system would take some time (we are talking about weeks, maybe months, as these things may be connected to the game as well), but also new features or changes to existing systems would require more attention.

One of the other necessary things to make would be a new cross-system launcher. However, as you could see in a different answer, there are currently no plans for this either:

All in all, due to all reasons mentioned above, the Mac OS support is not really something you should have hopes for. And unless new developer(s) join our team, I personally do not think this will ever happen. Though, even then, we already have long-term plans to finish before as you can read in the following article: https://truckersmp.com/blog/255

I hope this answers your question.

• HaulieCry 1

JKTjx3r.jpg

Game Developer

Discord Bot Developer