[ARCHIVED] How to survive the Norðurfjörður death road

ash.exe

Promods 2.60 has recently introduced a new death road at North Iceland. The road mainly consists of narrow roads, bends and possibly some slippery surfaces, but is a bit more easier to drive through compared to the Kirkness Quarry Road. This guide will cover some tips and tricks to surviving the Iceland death road. 

Tips to surviving the road:

• Avoid transporting a double, triple or long trailer through the road - These trailers are highly likely to cause your truck to get stuck around the bends. You could end up getting punished for blocking if the truck gets stuck for too long.
  • Do NOT overtake anywhere on narrow roads unless it is absolutely essential - It is too dangerous to overtake on narrow roads as you run the risk of conflicting with oncoming traffic. You need to have a good enough reason to overtake (i.e. the truck has stopped and you have plenty of space to overtake). A slow truck driver is not a good enough reason to overtake.
  • Avoid driving over 20mph/31kmh throughout the road - Unless you want to arrive with a damaged truck. 
  • Make sure you have diff lock assigned to a button - This may be useful if your truck gets stuck.
  • Teleport to a garage if your truck is beached - If you are unable to unstuck yourself after diff lock and lifting the axle, teleport to a garage as you risk blocking traffic behind. 
  • If you are driving with friends, please be careful when driving around with other road users - Although there's nothing wrong with driving with friends, please be kind to other road users around the narrow roads. Expect some separation to occur as you may be required to give way to other traffic. 
  • It is highly recommended you switch off the Winter physics mod - The physics mod may make driving through the area horribly difficult. It is best to have this switched off for now. 

Please also refer to this post by @Fummelprinz as these points are useful: 

Bended road section:

ets2_20220106_134103_00.png?width=1203&h

This portion of the road is very narrow and can be difficult to deal with conflicting oncoming traffic. For this section of the road:

• Drive as closely to the right as possible - This will allow oncoming traffic to drive through the road without any conflicts.
  • However, do not drive too closely to the right - Otherwise your truck may beach and you'll have to F7. 
  • If you are carrying a trailer, pull out as much as you can through the bends - This will prevent your trailer from getting stuck at the corner. This is particularly important for the first bend. https://imgur.com/lEafXLB
  • Give way to whoever arrived at the bend first. Make sure you stop before the bend and give the other driver enough space to pass - This will make it easier for the other driver to drive around the bend. 
  • At the entry of the road, give way to drivers leaving the road - If you are entering the death road, give way to drivers leaving the road. This is because the entry is too narrow for 2 trucks to fit through. https://imgur.com/3zsSjWq

Eimskip area:

ets2_20220106_134019_00.png?width=1203&h

This area can be relatively simple but will require cooperation between drivers to avoid conflicts. The main concern about this road is the 2 buildings that make the road narrow. For this portion of the death road:

• Give way to drivers leaving the cargo company - The road is a bit too narrow to accommodate 2 drivers. Because there isn't a lot of space for drivers leaving to pull over, it is best to give way to them. https://imgur.com/CndzxJe
  • If you are entering the company with a trailer, turn a bit late to prevent damaging the trailer from the corner

I hope this guide has been helpful. Please drop any questions or comments below. Thanks for reading ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
  • HaulieThumbsUp 5

banner

Nice guide, another good tip if you have liftable axles and get stuck, try lifting it and that might get you moving again. Also I have done double trailers there myself and it's possible (not HCT version), the trailers might take some damage because they literally jump around the corner because of weird physics. You might need to get a bit of speed to get that to happen otherwise you'll be taking a bit of time to get out of there. I wouldn't recommend at all if you're not good at maneuvering them around tight roads though. 

• Upvote 1

Nice Guide, i suggest to add these Points:

- Chose the right Truck for this Job! Generally, for driving on Iceland, i suggest to use always a 6x4 Chassis, a 16 Gear Transmission and as minimum +500 Horsepower! There are many Roads, like this One, on the Map there and you need Wheel Grip!

- If possible and you have the Michilin DLC, then use the largest Tyres ( Heavy Transport), this will give you addtional Chassis Clearance to avoid Damage from Rocks

- Refuel your Truck before you entering the Road. 6x4 Chassis having a small Fueltank and need a lot of Diesel, when you hauling heavy Trailers.

- Make a Save Game before you entering the Road. It is faster to disconnect and reconnect to the Server and load the Save Game, than loading the Save Game directly ingame. Or using F7 key ( less driving Time)!

- Use sequentiell/manual shifting, not automatic shifting.

- Be easy on the Gaspedal, avoid Wheel Spinning and drive slow around the Bends. Use all the Room that you have. Remember, this Road is not a Hurry Up Challenge, you need to drive Precisly and avoid any Damage.

-Chose Cargos that make Sense! This Area is known for Fishing/Mining and the need of Daily Things for consuming and building. Trains do not make Sense! ?

- And at least, Communicate with the other Players who is going first!

8 hours ago, Fummelprinz said:

Nice Guide, i suggest to add these Points:

- Chose the right Truck for this Job! Generally, for driving on Iceland, i suggest to use always a 6x4 Chassis, a 16 Gear Transmission and as minimum +500 Horsepower! There are many Roads, like this One, on the Map there and you need Wheel Grip!

- If possible and you have the Michilin DLC, then use the largest Tyres ( Heavy Transport), this will give you addtional Chassis Clearance to avoid Damage from Rocks

- Refuel your Truck before you entering the Road. 6x4 Chassis having a small Fueltank and need a lot of Diesel, when you hauling heavy Trailers.

- Make a Save Game before you entering the Road. It is faster to disconnect and reconnect to the Server and load the Save Game, than loading the Save Game directly ingame. Or using F7 key ( less driving Time)!

- Use sequentiell/manual shifting, not automatic shifting.

- Be easy on the Gaspedal, avoid Wheel Spinning and drive slow around the Bends. Use all the Room that you have. Remember, this Road is not a Hurry Up Challenge, you need to drive Precisly and avoid any Damage.

-Chose Cargos that make Sense! This Area is known for Fishing/Mining and the need of Daily Things for consuming and building. Trains do not make Sense! ?

- And at least, Communicate with the other Players who is going first!

These are some nice points. Thank you ?

I'll add these points to the guide and credit you for this.

banner

28 minutes ago, Grey Cat said:

Can any player drive there with winter mod physics? I gave up after a few tries. The truck doesn't even move there with a load of 1 ton, it gets stuck. If I want to go there, I will remove the winter mod physics.

The Road is not driveable with Winter Physic Mod activated! You have absolutely no traction. It is better to Disable the Winter Physics when you driving on Iceland, because you will struggle on other Roads too!  Should be also added to the Guide! ?

1 hour ago, Grey Cat said:

Herhangi bir oyuncu kış modu fiziği ile oraya gidebilir mi? Birkaç denemeden sonra vazgeçtim. Kamyon oraya 1 ton yükle hareket bile etmiyor, takılıyor. Oraya gitmek istersem kış mod fiziğini kaldıracağım.

You can go there with winter mode. But even normal mode is difficult. I don't recommend winter mode.

" never give up "

19 hours ago, Grey Cat said:

If you are using the winter physics mod, go to singleplayer and drive with it:

https://ets2.lt/en/kamaz-43101-army-ets2-v1-43-x/

This is only singleplayer mod. Use a differential lock and manual transmission,

and this monster climbs like fly ? 

The kamaz truck is pretty cool. I have used it in the Southern Region, Rusmap, and Great Steppe map mods since that truck is common in Russia and in some of the surrounding countries. That thing is an off road beast and that engine screams.