Kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

[SCS Blog] Force Feedback FAQ

SCS Blog

We have recently announced the release of the 1.42 Update Open Beta and one of the new upcoming features seems to have raised some questions. Therefore, in order to clear up the confusion a bit, we are bringing to you this detailed FAQ regarding the upcoming Force Feedback changes.

Steam_header_1920x622_Force_Feedback_FAQ

Can you describe what exact changes were made to the FFB system? How does the current FFB work in comparison with the last version?

The old force feedback was a group of artificially set up effects, each of them having its own effect force that had to be sent to the device within the main game loop. Meanwhile, the new FFB is written from scratch and utilizes a 120 Hz refresh rate, independent from the main game loop. It combines some of the old artificial effects with the new centering and tire friction force feedback, which is based on real calculations from forces on the first steering axle and simulates the behaviour of a hydraulic steering gear system used in most of today's trucks.

So, the FFB should act differently depending on whether you are on a bend or on a straight road, or if you are on uneven ground since the effect relies on vehicle physics. Previous artificial effects (engine resonance, terrain roughness, bumps, and collisions) are still there combined with the new centering into one common force effect, which is being sent to the device as a constant force.

Which devices and platforms support the new FFB?

The new FFB implementation is using a constant force effect, which means it should support a wider variety of devices. Currently, we support any wheel that has support for constant force application through DirectInput on Windows and evdev on Linux.

I have all the settings in the middle of the sliders and the steering wheel is not working properly, what do I do?

First reset the settings to their default values, since the new default settings are not in the middle of the sliders as they used to be. Then, if you still have problems try to switch off all of the artificial effects (engine resonance, terrain roughness, bumps, and collisions). If the problem still persists please contact us and follow the problem reporting rules below. Note that you should turn off any spring-centering effects that are offered through your wheel's hardware profile settings (e.g. through the Game Controllers/joy.cpl menu in Windows).

Can you explain the individual slider settings? What exactly do these settings change in the game? What do the lowest and maximum slider settings mean?

• Overall gain - overall FFB gain slider that regulates the gain of all of the effects. Minimum is 0 - no FFB and highest is the maximum force of 6N - as reported by the known wheel hardware.
  • Centering at high speed - maximum possible centering force multiplied by overall gain when driving at high speed, fully applied when reaching 90 km/h or more. Minimum is 0 - no centering at high speed, maximum is 1 - use full centering force at high speed as calculated by steering gear output algorithm.
  • Centering at low speed - maximum possible centering force multiplied by overall gain when driving at low speed, fully applied when reaching 0 km/h. Minimum is 0 - no centering at low speed, maximum is 1 - use full centering force at low speed as calculated by steering gear output algorithm.
  • Internal friction - the strength of the internal friction force caused by the mechanical elements in the steering system multiplied by an overall gain. Minimum is 0 - no force is reported from internal friction algorithm, maximum is 1 - full force from internal friction algorithm is used.
  • Engine resonance - absolute strength of engine resonance multiplied by an overall gain, simulating engine vibrations. Minimum is 0 - no engine resonance force, maximum is 1 - full engine resonance force. Note that engine resonance over 0.15 is not advised as it may cause substantial shaking and vibration to the wheel.
  • Terrain surface - absolute strength of surface effect multiplied by an overall gain, simulating the texture of the surface vehicle is driving on. Minimum is 0 - no terrain surface force, maximum is 1 - full terrain surface force. Note that values over 0.2 are not advised since they might cause substantial shaking and vibration while driving on the rough terrain with high speed.
  • Bumps - absolute strength of bump effect multiplied by an overall gain, simulating bumps to the suspension. Minimum is 0 - no bumps force, maximum is 1 - full bumps force.
  • Collisions - absolute strength of collision effect, simulating full force when the head-on impact is detected and is multiplied by an overall gain. Minimum is 0 - no collisions force, maximum is 1 - full collision force
  • Vibration effects - their behavior remains the same as in older game versions.

Why does it feel like the steering wheel seemingly stops for a while during centering after letting go when I’m in a turn with the truck?

This is the consequence of the vehicle's movement reacting to the fast steering and the resulting forces on the wheels at that moment. A similar phenomenon can be observed in real-life vehicles in such situations.

Why is it easier to use the steering wheel once I turn off the in-game FFB setting completely and use the FFB of the wheel’s software instead?

While it might be easier it does not resemble physics-based FFB and is not what a real steering system would do. However, it is very similar to the old implementation.

Will there be any further updates to the FFB?

Our team are currently ironing out any issues found during the 1.42 Open Beta. As for the future, we are still exploring what other effects (e.g slip vibration) would add a positive effect for players. Future game updates might bring more functionality. We will be sure to keep you update you if any notable changes are made. 

If I still am experiencing problems, where can I best report them?

Please report your issues over at forum.scssoft.com; just make sure to follow all the forum rules. If possible, attach screenshots of your FFB settings, steering wheel hardware profile settings, and some information on what steering wheel brand and model you are using.

I don't like the new FFB, how can I get my old FFB back?

Since the old centering was a simple spring effect, you can always turn down the Low-speed centering, High-speed centering, and Internal Friction to zero and enable spring centering in your wheel's hardware profile settings. That will give you a similar FFB sensation as in older game releases.

We would once again like to thank you for your participation in the 1.42 Update Open Beta and for all the feedback. Our team is working extremely hard to ensure the update will eventually arrive in the live version of the game in the best form possible and your opinions are very much appreciated!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ScsSoftwaresBlog/~4/5PpaGR9SIjE

View the full article

• Like 1

Hurr durr I'm a bot *beep*