Which brake type do you use mostly?

[Türk Logistics] Mahammad

Which brake type do you use mostly?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which brake type do you use mostly?

• Regular Brake (Pressing S)
    • Exhaust Brake or Engine Brake (Pressing B)
    • Retarder (You are appointing keys for this)
    • Hand Brake (Pressing Space)

On 8/31/2021 at 11:37 PM, Granite said:

Both retarder and engine brake works with cruise control if "automatic retarder" or "automatic engine brake" option is enabled, both will brake automatically when cruise cotrol is engaged.

If both options are enabled, retarder will be used preferentially when installed, if it's not, engine brake will be used instead, never both.

Manually engaging retarder (retarder increase / retarder decrease) and / or engine brake (engine brake / engine brake toggle / engine brake increase / engine brake decrease) will disable cruise control.

Not a smart thing to do.

Firstly, trailers have air brakes just like trucks, when you push down the brake pedal you are operating both truck and trailer air brakes together.

Secondly, it is not for driving on the road, trailer brake operated from the cab is on/off switch which blocks the trailer wheels like a parking brake, trailers still do have a parking brake operated manually, usually by a button at the back of the trailer. Both of these are used when coupling/decoupling trailer, performing tug test and, in american trucks, to slide the trailer tandem.

I learned about it from actual drivers, and unfortunately, that's where our opinions differed. Therefore, I continue to use it as before.

2 hours ago, [BEARS] Respect said:

I learned about it from actual drivers, and unfortunately, that's where our opinions differed. Therefore, I continue to use it as before.

Whatever, I'm not going to persuade you, just as far as I know, not every tractor is equiped with one, you can look it up yourself and if you look hard enough you can find plenty of info about the proper and intended use of trailer brake (in the US more commonly known as trailer hand valve, trolley valve or Johnson bar) on the internet.

Good evening ?,

This is indeed a nice survey,
There are very few topics like this on the ets2 forums.

I think that the most frequently used brakes are the regular brake and the retarder.

After that the handbrake is still one of the most used brakes in case of emergency.

Not everyone really uses the engine brake but people are starting to pay attention ?

Thanks for this topic ?

Kind Regards,

Lunary Gaming | C.E.O - M.D.T

1794259785_role_VerifiedVTCLeader.png.cc

spacer.png

I use a G27 wheel and all of my trucks have "R" transmissions, so I just enabled the auto-retarder and auto-engine brake. The moment I step on the brake pedal, all of them help slowing down or stopping the vehicle. With not even 50% of the maximum braking intensity, I have no problems at all. In single player, I can use 0% braking intensity and still drive perfectly fine. It's true that my maximum speed is 90 Km/h. The parking brake... Well, I use that for parking, which is what it's meant for. Using it to slow down or stop faster... I mean, I'd only do that, very carefully, if all other brakes failed... And they can't fail in these games, so...

use the ordinary brake in most cases. If I can't stop, I will use the handbrake

卡车司机-标志-sm.png

I try to prevent to use the regular/foot brake.

Anticipation is the key. Pay attention to what is happening far in front of you.

In both games, I usually brake in 3 stages:

1. Roll without pressing the throttle and thus slowing down.
  2. If I need to slow down a bit more, exhaust brake and shifting down.
  3. If suddenly I need to brake more than expected, I will first use the trailer brake and only then the footbrake.

You honestly just need to create a feel for it.

Now in ATS specifically, I love the exhaust (jake) brake, especially when going down a slope. It really helps me maintain a safe speed.

I do not like to use the retarder, since I feel the trailer pushing its weight from behind, and I don't want to jackknife the combination. Might or might not have done that before...

A trick that really works for me, is to use the trailer brake when you're in a bend, and feel you're a bit too fast. The trailer brake is much more stable. It even kept me from falling over a few times in the past ?.

And for the handbrake; Only when I really need to throw the Titanic overboard in order to stop during some convoys... 

Proud Driver for Global Cargo!

15 minutes ago, Voltera said:

A trick that really works for me, is to use the trailer brake when you're in a bend, and feel you're a bit too fast. The trailer brake is much more stable. It even kept me from falling over a few times in the past ?.

Citing from Commercial Driver License Manual:

"The trailer hand valve (also called the trolley valve or Johnson bar) works the trailer brakes. The trailer hand valve should be used only to test the trailer brakes. Do not use it in driving because of the danger of making the trailer skid. The foot brake sends air to all of the brakes on the vehicle (including the trailer(s)). There is much less danger of causing a skid or jackknife when using just the foot brake. Never use the hand valve for parking because all the air might leak out unlocking the brakes (in trailers that don't have spring brakes). Always use the parking brakes when parking. If the trailer does not have spring brakes, use wheel chocks to keep the trailer from moving."

The trick that always works for me is to slow down before bend, and if you think you are still a bit too fast, touching the foot brake gently is much better than locking up trailer wheels mid-turn in my opinion. 

40 minutes ago, Voltera said:

Now in ATS specifically, I love the exhaust (jake) brake, especially when going down a slope. It really helps me maintain a safe speed.

I do not like to use the retarder, since I feel the trailer pushing its weight from behind, and I don't want to jackknife the combination. Might or might not have done that before...

Unless you are on some unpaved road, you shouldn't worry about that. Retarder, just like exhaust or jake brake, works the drive axles only, so using one or the other isn't that different. Actually, using manual retarder in some trucks, namely Scania, it will use both retarder and exhaust brake together in strongest settings. 

I am using retarder all the time when going down the hills, even through truns and bends, never had any problems, If used correctly, to keep the truck within speed limits, you can use retarder safely even in rain or snow, just be careful when going downhill on some uneven quarry road.

I'm playing with a controller, so I don't have the luxury of having a lot of buttons available for me.
Because of that, I've all the brakes. I put on automatic retarder and automatic engine brake. 
Works well with cruise control and going down hill. 

But when driving without a trailer or empty trailer, I need to be careful because if I brake too hard, my truck starts to slip.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, Granite said:

Citing from Commercial Driver License Manual:

"The trailer hand valve (also called the trolley valve or Johnson bar) works the trailer brakes. The trailer hand valve should be used only to test the trailer brakes. Do not use it in driving because of the danger of making the trailer skid. The foot brake sends air to all of the brakes on the vehicle (including the trailer(s)). There is much less danger of causing a skid or jackknife when using just the foot brake. Never use the hand valve for parking because all the air might leak out unlocking the brakes (in trailers that don't have spring brakes). Always use the parking brakes when parking. If the trailer does not have spring brakes, use wheel chocks to keep the trailer from moving."

That is some interesting information. Thanks for sharing it with us.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, Granite said:

The trick that always works for me is to slow down before bend, and if you think you are still a bit too fast, touching the foot brake gently is much better than locking up trailer wheels mid-turn in my opinion. 

I have to fully agree with you. I was talking about the specific scenario, when on an arcade server, you start tipping over, you can catch it with the trailer brake. Just pressing the footbrake tends to launch you, in my experience...

Proud Driver for Global Cargo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mainly the normal brake, I have set it so that I can brake gently, even within a few meters, if an accident has happened in front of me

Nur weil andere die Regeln brechen, tust du das auch? Seien Sie schlauer! Gute Fahrt.

Tximx

1531540532_role_5Patron(4).webp.7092903f62b05aa754ac1514776d86cf.webp

Slowing down using the brake pedal.
When parking, I shift into first and turn off the engine, i won't need handbrake that way. (I do the same at traffic lights or when I'm standing for a long time)
If there's a situation where I have to do an emergency stop and its like super tight for the brakes to work, I shift into reverse and release the clutch. Please do not do the same IRL on your car otherwise you can look for a new one

• 2 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive.

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator. 

• Nody locked this topic

Archived