Floating gears down with jake brake on...

Carolina_Trucking

Question

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, SvartWolf said:

Hello there @Carolina_Trucking

Here's a video that explains how to float gears easily, and what RPM's you should be at when doing so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhkliFhnn4

If you need any further help, don't hesitate to let me know ?

Kind regards,
SvartWolf
TruckersMP Support

Unfortunately, he doesn't float down with the jake brake on.  I'm trying to find out what's the rpms for floating down when it's on.

11 hours ago, Carolina_Trucking said:

Unfortunately, he doesn't float down with the jake brake on.  I'm trying to find out what's the rpms for floating down when it's on.

Hello and thank you for making this posting. I hope I can be of some assistance. 

Something you have to understand when it comes to floating the gears and you don't see this in a lot of videos is you have to understand the truck you have to understand the weight that you're hauling you have to know the gears that you have and you need to know the grade of the road you're currently traveling on a lot of things what I do is as I'm slowing down and I'm using the jake brake I will shift down and I'll let the RPM wind up and it just as it almost bottoms out then I'll go to downshift again and that's how I'm floating my gears while using jake brake it depends on each truck and it depends on how you drive so my type of driving style may be completely different to yours this is something that you literally have to learn on your own and you have to feel comfortable there's thousands and thousands of people on here and every one of them could tell you something different so the best way to describe it would be go ahead and get in the truck and get on Flat Road and start downshifting and see how it works and then if your are not really getting any kind of response then go somewhere that has a downgrade but not a very steep one and try to start downshifting while floating through the gears that way then you'll get an understanding of how the truck actually handles

10 hours ago, Sheepdog81 said:

Hello and thank you for making this posting. I hope I can be of some assistance. 

Something you have to understand when it comes to floating the gears and you don't see this in a lot of videos is you have to understand the truck you have to understand the weight that you're hauling you have to know the gears that you have and you need to know the grade of the road you're currently traveling on a lot of things what I do is as I'm slowing down and I'm using the jake brake I will shift down and I'll let the RPM wind up and it just as it almost bottoms out then I'll go to downshift again and that's how I'm floating my gears while using jake brake it depends on each truck and it depends on how you drive so my type of driving style may be completely different to yours this is something that you literally have to learn on your own and you have to feel comfortable there's thousands and thousands of people on here and every one of them could tell you something different so the best way to describe it would be go ahead and get in the truck and get on Flat Road and start downshifting and see how it works and then if your are not really getting any kind of response then go somewhere that has a downgrade but not a very steep one and try to start downshifting while floating through the gears that way then you'll get an understanding of how the truck actually handles

Hey there.

Mostly I've been using the Kenworths. My issue is when I'm at max gear, max speed, with RPMs up in 2,000. On average how much do I have to let them fall? I know when at 1,500 I can let them fall to 1000, bring them up to around 1,500, then down shift. The issue is when my RPMs are maxed in the last gear 7 L, or 7 H. I'm guessing allowing them to fall at 1,500, and then bringing them up to 2,000 for a downshift is just too high? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Hello there!

Your topic has been inactive for 3 days since the last reply.
Because of inactivity, I will have to move this topic to Inactive Topics.

If you have any further queries, feel free to DM me or another Support Team member and we will open this topic as per your request.

Thanks to all participation.

Kind regards,
maksch
TruckersMP - Support

//Locked and moved to inactive

maksch

Ex-Member of the Support Team 

Hello there,

Due to this topic not wanting to be opened after 1 week of being Inactive, I will have to move it to Unsolved Topics.

If you are still having issues, feel free to contact us here: https://truckersmp.com/support

Kind Regards,

General18

TruckersMP Support

//Moved to Unsolved Topics

General18

TruckersMP

My supported languages: English, Danish

Support | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback | How To Downgrade