Starting game issues.

Ivanhoe2034

Well I watched the video but I just double click on the desktop icon so slightly different way to launch...

But looking in your process explorer window, I am curious what the other two instances of 'Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer.exe' are? Are they just showing process history, or actually running as well, and if so would that cause any problems?

I ran that process explorer on mine while I had the launch (server dialog) running and all I see is 'Steam.exe' (with overlay) and 'eurotrucks2.exe' - no sign of a launcher, which confused me actually - it must just run briefly and then terminate itself I suppose.

But looking in your process explorer window, I am curious what the other two instances of 'Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer.exe' are? Are they just showing process history, or actually running as well, and if so would that cause any problems?

They are just the processes needed to launch the game (simply with different names). I created (and renamed) links just because I hate confusion (and messed up desktops)... :-)

"2 - Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer.exe" is a link to the steam client ("Steam.exe");

"3 - Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer.exe" is a link to the Command Prompt I use to run the launcher (if I close this once the game is up, the result will be having only steam.exe and eurotrucks2.exe, as you've seen in your test);

Once they're running, I run "launcher.exe" that loads, starts eurotrucks2.exe and then closes itself, as you noticed, when the game is running you can't see that process.

I suppose that launcher.exe prepares some sort of "environment" in which the actual game runs. What I didn't say is that launching the game in SP from within steam nothing of this happens. This is why I am writing here and not to scs.

Oh, there is also a "1 - Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer", but it's not an executable, it's only a txt I wrote with the steps I followed (directory of installation, how links are made, etcetera) as a reminder to recreate exactly the same configuration in case I need to reinstall the whole thing.

Well that's definitely a strange behaviour from the launcher, I can honestly say I've never had that problem, and I can't even remember seeing a similar problem mentioned here (usually it's fatal error crash). Does the process get far enough to even generate a crash log - it doesn't seem like it would, it's ended almost before it even starts! And of course the times when the server dialog doesn't appear, that's weird too.

Sorry that I am not being very helpful here, other than to say, this is not a common problem. Hopefully someone who knows more about this can take over and give you some useful help :)

• 3 weeks later...

hey. I downloaded the game today .. I was able to put the steam for the game ,,,, but the e-ale I can not write @ characters. which is broken

You can use copy+paste. Open [start]->[Run], then write "charmap" (without quotes) and press [ENTER]. Highlight the "@" (2nd row), then click [select] then [Copy]. Close the Character Map application and run the game. When you're on the login screen use [CTRL]+[V] to paste the "@" copied before.

This is valid on Windows. If you use Linux or Mac, you deserve to suffer...:-):-):-):-):-)

• Matt locked this topic

Archived