Wheel vs Keyboard vs Controller

~ Xris Aurora ~

Haiii guys! ?

So yet another new or maybe not so new topic in here, I assume it's been discussed already once twice before.

But since times are changing, along with people and their habits, I'd like to ask you...

How do you prefer to be playing ETS2?

There are lots of guys who prefer hardcore simulation, wheels, manual transmisions, clutches and such.

I'd like it to be simple on my side, that's why I'm still keen on playing ETS2 with my keyboard only, even though I got myself a wheel already.

Lemme hear your thoughts about it.

G'dayyy! ⛅

I always play ETS2 and ATS with a wheel (mine is a Logitech Driving Force Pro) as to me its much more precise and more of a simulation than playing a controller or keyboard. I also use the fantastic app SimDashboard as a button box and dash although I recently upgraded to a stream deck for more customization and for the feel of tactile buttons (yes that was really important to me ?). I don't actually use any sort of manual transmission mainly because I've found that the sequential automatic works great for me. I use the shifter that came with my wheel to only go between neutral, reverse, and drive and have found it works quite well. Most modern trucks nowadays are automatic anyhow I think so its still pretty realistic in my book. 

I'm using the mouse to steer, give turning signals, turn on/ off the high beams and center my view after I moved it out of the center with ALT + mouse.

I'm using my keyboard to drive forwards / backwards and other interactions like attaching the trailer, etc.

I've got a Logitech steering wheel, shifter and pedals as well as a Trackir 5, but unfortunately not enough space to Mount them permanently.

6 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

I'm using the mouse to steer, give turning signals, turn on/ off the high beams and center my view after I moved it out of the center with ALT + mouse.

I'm using my keyboard to drive forwards / backwards and other interactions like attaching the trailer, etc.

I've got a Logitech steering wheel, shifter and pedals as well as a Trackir 5, but unfortunately not enough space to Mount them permanently.

I also don't have space for a permanent mount either. The only thing that's permanent in my setup is the pedals and cords. I always attach and detach the wheel and plug in that to the front of my pc. Works pretty good as I have a place to store it next to my desk. I use the stream deck for other things as well throughout my day so that just gets pushed back closer to my keyboard when I'm not gaming. Also, how many buttons do you have on your mouse to map those functions to?

29 minutes ago, Farm Shark said:

Also, how many buttons do you have on your mouse to map those functions to?

It's a standard office mouse with 3 buttons of which the MMB also acts a scroll wheel:

LMB PRESS left turn Indicator on / off

RMB PRESS right turn Indicator on / off

MMB PRESS center view to front

MMB SCROLL UP high beams on / off

MMB SCROLL DOWN wipers on / off

?

(LMB = Left Mouse Button, RMB =  Right Mouse Button, MMB = Middle Mouse Button)

For about 100 hours I've been playing with a keyboard, just last week I purchased a very cheap wheel, and it made a huge difference. Even though this wheel is cheap and can only go to about 180º, I'm still happy with it. It came with two pedals as well and has a sequential shifter on its side. I would love to one day purchase a Logitech G920 or G29, but this'll do for the time being.

2 hours ago, Farm Shark said:

Oh ok, also, don't want to get off topic but how are you able to control the wipers with one button or in this case, one direction of the scroll wheel since ETS2 requires one to turn them up and one to turn them down. 

1st time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the first wiper speed

2nd time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the second wiper speed

3rd time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the third wiper speed

4th time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns off the wipers

I hope this helps to understand how it works. ?

33 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

1st time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the first wiper speed

2nd time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the second wiper speed

3rd time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns on the third wiper speed

4th time MMB SCROLL DOWN turns off the wipers

I hope this helps to understand how it works. ?

Ah interesting, thanks. I'll have to see if I can get something similar to that on my stream deck working. Haven't been successful yet with one key. At least I know its still possible after the update. 

Keyboard! Always have used a keyboard, and won't change any time soon.

Wheel prices are a tragedy; and for me, using a controller is uncomfortable and not very intuitive.

Also, I love watching people with a wheel or controller drive worse than me. :thisisfine:

Hello there dear @Xristrucking

Firstly, I would glad to thank you for creating this community and doing your best to interact us for making some conversation / discussion. 

I had played ETS/ATS on my keyboard before 3 years ago. 

Before 2 years ago, I got steering wheel (Logitech G29) from my parents for Christmas in 2019. 

I was really really glad for that present, because it had changed my playing! 

For now if somebody would ask me,, can you imagine changing your steering wheel for your keyboard again, I will immediately disagree.. 

I wouldn't exchange for anything :tmp:

Steering wheel is just wheel and you can not compare with anything else.

Thank you for reading! 

Have a nice day dear! 

Best Regards

RedWolf [CZ] 

TruckersMP Veteran Driver II

RedNub I TruckersMP

(ETS2 - 6,033 hours)

795749874_role_VeteranV(1).png.660f7fd7e1531540532_role_5Patron(4).png.063edcf85

Reporting a player  | Appeal your ban  | Support System  | Recruitment

Originally on keyboard. Borrowed a friends wheel and couldn't go back to a keyboard. So wheel, pedals, realistic shifting with gear grinding and floating gears, upgraded shifter and head/eye tracking. Its all about immersion. I love to drive, and this is cheaper then spending on fuel and repairs for an actual vehicle. The more realistic I can make it, the better.

Archived