City speed limits

aaronsgamingnetwork

Hi All,

I want to know what your opinion is on the city speed limits. I feel like the city speed limits in the city are good. But on motorways like in this scenario; 

I find passing the cities it often triggers the city speed limit which in real life you wouldn't slow down on a motorway passing a city. It's quite unrealistic.

What do you all think?

1 minute ago, Xristrucking said:

Slowing down a little bit even on the highways and the junctions won't hurt anyone though. 

60 to 110km/h is the perfect speed limit set so far, at least from my point of view. ✌️

I agree with the 110km/h speed limit for the motorways and country roads. It stops people driving uncontrollably fast. But in real life on a motorway you wouldn't slow down for a junction if you could see someone coming down the junction, you would just use common sense and merge into another lane to let the others merge. i quite often find on roads set to 50mph near cities they then enable the city speed limit to 37mph which I don't understand why when the speed limit of the road is 50mph. To me the city speed limit needs to be in the city not surrounding the city, it just makes no sense.

Hello there,

Some time ago, the simulation server had the same speed in the urban zone, regardless of the center or the highway next to the city. From April 2020. there are various restrictions (such as in single-player): When the speed limit of the current traffic segment is higher than the preset speed limit, the traffic segment area speed limit is used. This is also regulated by the country traffic speed limits

In my opinion, it is fine now because the speed even on highways, but in the vicinity of cities (entrances, exits) must be appropriately smaller so that traffic is simply safe in these areas. On some highways near the city there was a limit of 60 km / h, currently it is 80 km / h so it is optimal for me.

In my opinion. The highways should be restricted from the speed limited zones. The 110kmh is perfect. But to be dragged down to 80 or 60 while maintaining on the motorway is a joke for me. Some towns are more ridiculous than others, I will drag that attention to Italy. 

23 minutes ago, aaronsgamingnetwork said:

agree with the 110km/h speed limit for the motorways and country roads. It stops people driving uncontrollably fast. But in real life on a motorway you wouldn't slow down for a junction if you could see someone coming down the junction, you would just use common sense and merge into another lane to let the others merge.

It's a very common occurence that the motorway speed limits are reduced around urban areas. You also forget trucks in EU are limited to 80 or 90Km/h, not 110km/h, which is "uncotrollably fast" in most places.

This isn't even enforced in TMP most of the time, as shown in the video, there is 80km/h limit like everywhere in Sweden, but there's short section near Stockholm, where 70km/h is enforced, but only near the "city".

Anyway there are very few places where the enforced speed limits on motorway is lower than 80km/h.

As in real life, I really slow down a bit when someone in front of me merges, very very rarely I would move over if the speed difference is significant, because 99.9% of the time they would speed up and won't let me merge back in front of them, then another speed demon or two pile up behind and start forcing their way through, and I don't like to be in that situation, not a tiny bit. That's what I get if I try to be nice, but why shoudl I be nice, when nobody has any patience or respect for me? It's a tough life in TMP for anyone following speed limits.

1 hour ago, aaronsgamingnetwork said:

i quite often find on roads set to 50mph near cities they then enable the city speed limit to 37mph which I don't understand why when the speed limit of the road is 50mph. To me the city speed limit needs to be in the city not surrounding the city, it just makes no sense.

The speed limits ares mostly accurate, but sometimes, the route advisor shows incorrect speed limit, like it shows speed limit for exit lane while you are not in that lane, but close to the line - a very common bug around Iberia. This incorrect speed limit can be forced if this happens in the "city".

If it was up to me, I would also force braking when entering cities, everyone just coasts deep into the city strrets still keeping a lot of excess speed.

19 minutes ago, xXBlazieXx said:

In my opinion. The highways should be restricted from the speed limited zones. The 110kmh is perfect. But to be dragged down to 80 or 60 while maintaining on the motorway is a joke for me. Some towns are more ridiculous than others, I will drag that attention to Italy. 

Really, as @MarkON said these places used to be limited to 60km/h (looking at you, Istanbul). They have correct speed limits now, but you want to increase it further. I can hardly notice the speed limits now, and can only remember very few places where speed limits is lower than 80km/h on motorways. 

They should stay, it's safer that way. Until people learn to respect each other, there's arcade servers if you don't want to be held back by the speed limits.

17 minutes ago, xXBlazieXx said:

Exactly. This wouldn't happen in real life, speeds on motorways don't get reduced for junctions. If that happened in the UK where I'm from the speed would be changing constantly. Although EU trucks have a requirement to drive at 90 km/h the speeds decrease would still effect this. In game actually does down to 70 km/h at the junctions which for a junction is completely unnecessary. 

12 minutes ago, Granite said:

It's a very common occurence that the motorway speed limits are reduced around urban areas. You also forget trucks in EU are limited to 80 or 90Km/h, not 110km/h, which is "uncotrollably fast" in most places.

This isn't even enforced in TMP most of the time, as shown in the video, there is 80km/h limit like everywhere in Sweden, but there's short section near Stockholm, where 70km/h is enforced, but only near the "city".

Anyway there are very few places where the enforced speed limits on motorway is lower than 80km/h.

As in real life, I really slow down a bit when someone in front of me merges, very very rarely I would move over if the speed difference is significant, because 99.9% of the time they would speed up and won't let me merge back in front of them, then another speed demon or two pile up behind and start forcing their way through, and I don't like to be in that situation, not a tiny bit. That's what I get if I try to be nice, but why shoudl I be nice, when nobody has any patience or respect for me? It's a tough life in TMP for anyone following speed limits.

The speed limits ares mostly accurate, but sometimes, the route advisor shows incorrect speed limit, like it shows speed limit for exit lane while you are not in that lane, but close to the line - a very common bug around Iberia. This incorrect speed limit can be forced if this happens in the "city".

If it was up to me, I would also force braking when entering cities, everyone just coasts deep into the city strrets still keeping a lot of excess speed.

Most of the time you will find that the route advisor is accurate unless you are using something like Promods it can be a bit buggy but in this case this is default scenery in DLC from SCS and obviously no mods because its TMP. I disagree its not common for them to slow down to 70 km/h. My family have a trucking background owning and working for multiple haulage companies in the UK. Following the EU limit of 90 km/h which all trucks are built with out of the factory, the TMP city limit to 70 km/h would still effect this when yes its near a city but doesn't effect the city so I think that point was irrelevant. 

Yes in real life you would slow down or merge into a different lane to let someone merge but that wouldn't decrease the speed limit.

You actually also forget the 10% rule. In a zone with a 50mph speed limit you can do up to 55mph, including if you're in an average speed zone or going through a speed camera. 

Also vehicles in the EU their speedo is actually 2mph or 3.2km/h below to allow for inaccuracy on a camera or speedo.

I Have a Positive View Of Speed Limits İn The City. While Approaching The City, İt Makes Sense To Comply With The City Limit Because While You Are Traveling At 110 km / h, Anyone Can Get İn Your Way And There May Be An Accident, But Following The Speed Limit While Approaching The City Will Prevent The.

1 minute ago, Dєνıl [TΞM] said:

I Have a Positive View Of Speed Limits İn The City. While Approaching The City, İt Makes Sense To Comply With The City Limit Because While You Are Traveling At 110 km / h, Anyone Can Get İn Your Way And There May Be An Accident, But Following The Speed Limit While Approaching The City Will Prevent The.

But I mean being on the motorways that passes a city you often find that the speed city speed limit enables but it seems a bit irrelevant to me!

45 minutes ago, aaronsgamingnetwork said:

Most of the time you will find that the route advisor is accurate unless you are using something like Promods it can be a bit buggy but in this case this is default scenery in DLC from SCS and obviously no mods because its TMP. I disagree its not common for them to slow down to 70 km/h. My family have a trucking background owning and working for multiple haulage companies in the UK. Following the EU limit of 90 km/h which all trucks are built with out of the factory, the TMP city limit to 70 km/h would still effect this when yes its near a city but doesn't effect the city so I think that point was irrelevant. 

Yes in real life you would slow down or merge into a different lane to let someone merge but that wouldn't decrease the speed limit.

You actually also forget the 10% rule. In a zone with a 50mph speed limit you can do up to 55mph, including if you're in an average speed zone or going through a speed camera. 

Also vehicles in the EU their speedo is actually 2mph or 3.2km/h below to allow for inaccuracy on a camera or speedo.

Route advisor can be buggy regardless if you use vanilla or promods map, ETS2 is not bug free game.

I didn't say 70km/h speed limit on motorways  is common, it's not, not even in ETS2, can you name one other place than Stockholm where speed limit on motorway through the city (yes it's through the city, not next to city, because there are no drivable streets, most of the cities are made up of a scenery if you look carefuly) is lower than 80km/h?

I did say speed limits are commonly lowered on motorways in the cities, but it doesn't affect trucks at all, because they are still the same or higher than maximum allowed for trucks. Take your video as an example, speed limits for motorways in Sweden is 110km/h, but for trucks with a trailer only 80km/h, without trailer 90km/h. That would not affect you if you were staying within speed limit, just that short stretch would slow you down by 10km/h, which is rarely seen in ETS2 anyway. Because you are speeding up to 110km/h, you will notice these speed limits much more.

These limits are not pointless, they are for the safety, as in reality urban areas have higher density of traffic, including public transportation, same in TMP, these areas are usually more populated, so it's not bad idea to have them as respect among people is very low on TMP servers.

Still, you have lot of leeway on TMP servers, in real life you need to be very careful, especially on motorways, and the 10% rule is not universal, where I live you will get fined 6km/h over (less than 4Mph), but there are countries with even lower tolerance.

While yes that particular example where the city speedlimit accidentally goes too far into the highway is kinda unrealistic. I don't think I mind it too much. If that area gets congested at some point it might help to protect players speeding up from behind and potentially causing accidents to merging players. Giving that it is kinda rare to come across this (at least in my experience) I think that its fine for now. Maybe if TruckersMP has the chance on fixing it in the future they can but its not a big deal currently. 

^By the way, this doesn't mean that I don't like the limit. I actually love the speed limiter where it is and agree that it should probably be lowered at some point. I just want things to be as real as possible and slowing down on a highway when there's no traffic doesn't really make that much sense unless your getting off or its a sharp turn. 

good point, i was thinking same things .. but if they unlock the city area speed limit near highway then what will  occurs is if a player goes to highway then  there is huge chances of collision. my opinion is TMP should maintain their speed limit ,, and i am highly agree on their speed limit system ..  i think 110 speed limit is a bit high if they decrease 110 to 100 it will be better for real life trucker and also for TRUCKBOOK AND VTLOG users.  ?     But i am fully satisficed  with their speed limit .

spacer.png

In my opinion the city speedlimits are very beneficial to everyone who plays TruckersMP, especially in busy cities. It stops people speeding around the city causing crashes and mayhem. Obviously in certain areas of the map you do trigger the incorrect speed limit, but it's not game changing and it doesn't affect you for long.

8 hours ago, Granite said:

Really, as @MarkON said these places used to be limited to 60km/h (looking at you, Istanbul). They have correct speed limits now, but you want to increase it further. I can hardly notice the speed limits now, and can only remember very few places where speed limits is lower than 80km/h on motorways. 

They should stay, it's safer that way. Until people learn to respect each other, there's arcade servers if you don't want to be held back by the speed limits.

Never mentioned increasing it. I said I find it stupid to effect the motor way. Never did I complain about being an issue. I just find it stupid and I am entitled to feel that way. 

I happen to be a normal member of the arcade servers. Where is your argument? 

7 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

A lower speed limit on highways around cities and on so called city highways isn't unusual in real life.

It can be explained by a higher traffic volume that usually occurs in and around cities, and it increases safety in road traffic.

It doesn't bother me, because it increases realism.

Yes but these aren't "city" highways.

4 hours ago, Donovannn said:

In my opinion the city speedlimits are very beneficial to everyone who plays TruckersMP, especially in busy cities. It stops people speeding around the city causing crashes and mayhem. Obviously in certain areas of the map you do trigger the incorrect speed limit, but it's not game changing and it doesn't affect you for long.

I completely agree with you. I think in cities its completely needed or it would be carnage. 

Also what about the Eurotunnel in France when you exit you can go up to 110km/h now thats unrealistic. They slow down motorways but not the eurotunnel which is a joke.

Archived