A discussion for AI cars on Multiplayer

Voting  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should AI vehicles be in multiplayer?

Why are AI cars disabled in multiplayer? I really get tired of driving alone on wonderful roads like Spain. With the speed limit, time does not pass on empty roads. At the very least, it takes developers' work to make the simulation game a true simulation. 

They are already working on an AI feature although something like that takes a lot of time to debug and code well enough that it doesn't cause instability or lag issues. After all, every AI car needs to be synced with every player. Once they get this feature finished I would like to see it mainly implemented in the parts of the map where they are few players. Say for instance if a city or area has less than 20 players, that would be the perfect area for AI cars. Areas like Calais or Duisburg honestly have too many players that just adding AI cars would just make the traffic jams longer and more of a hassle for the moderation teams.

2 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Empty roads in multiplayer are indeed tiring and unrealistic. It's the reason which made me return to singleplayer.

AI traffic in multiplayer would solve this problem and boost realism.

Yes, but the AI in ETS2 and even more so in ATS can be very annoying at times, often beating the multiplayer trolls, sorry that's just my opinion, because I think SCS has neglected AI ttaffic for very long time and it is in dire need of fixing.

I am not saying it should be robot like precise, but there are some serious issues that put me off, and make me enjoy empty roads in multiplayer again very soon.

My main issues with the AI:

• AI vehicles are extremely hesistant to overtake on motorways, even passenger cars will keep following slow vehicles forever, creating very long "convoys"  costantly tapping on brakes with practically no rooom to merge in, should you decide to start overtaking them, you will be stuck in the fast lane until you pass the leading slow vehicle.
  • AI has trouble "seeing" the player, instead I think they function on proximity detection or some kind of distance threshold, without taking player's speed into consideration too much, which very often leads to AI failing to give way, if there is higher speed limit at the intersection.
  • AI has trouble with changing lanes or merging, causing them to slow down unnecessarily, when they should be speeding up, like when overtaking or entering motorways, the latter is actually prefab problem.
  • Motorway exits also cause AI to slow down even when they are not exiting, again this is likely prefab problem.
  • After entering motorways, AI often immediately changes to the next lane, sometimes repeatedly switching lanes multiple times.
  • AI often stops at motorway entrances at the end of slip roads/ramps merging lanes, becasue AI on the motorway never changes lanes and let them merge, and after they are past some threshold, which causes them to move regardless if there is anything right besides them, be it player or other AI vehicle, which leads to collisions - very common in Iberia DLC on motorways and also main flaw in ATS. This is yet again a prefab issue.
  • If you have your left blinker on, the AI is too annoyingly curteous, letting you go, but most of the time stopping in such manner that there is no way you can turn without hitting them with your trailer. If you pull too close into the intersection to actually see to both sides, AI which has the priority will often stop, usually right in front of you, causing traffic jam.
  • On a lighter note, AI often honks at me from behind while I am refueling at gas stations or waiting at traffic lights.
  • Don't get me started on roundabouts ...

Because of this, I decided to reduce the default AI traffic density by changing g_traffic from default 1.0 to 0.5. This at least reduces interactions between AI vehicles, from which most of these issue stem, while keeping the roads populated enough, and doesn't hurt my fuel economy. I know it's not ideal, but until SCS starts doing something, it will have to do, because I have not found any AI mods which would improve things, mostly they do quite the opposite, mainly becasue they can't fix prefab related issues. If you know of any mods that actually do work, please let me know.

Sincerely, I would be worried about adding AI in multiplayer, when someone like me, who keeps to the speed limits and traffic rules, have problems with it. How would the average speeding TMP player handle the situation, would everyone magically starts following the rules?

i honestly HATE the AI on both games..Yes empty roads are extremely boring on long trips,but i got tired of the dumb annoying stuff they do.I was travelling in spain when the map expansion was released and for some reason a truck decided to overtake another and they both got stuck side by side  doing 70 in a 90KM/H road and i had to overtake them thru the shoulder just for the same thing to happen again few kilometers ahead.At that point i just gave up on driving there in SP...

Lost count of the amount of vehicles that jumped from a exit into the right lane in front of me causing me to rear end them,not mentioning the fact that they love to speed up or sit beside you when you put your turn signal on  to change lanes.

Now imagine the kind of mess they can do specially if any type of desyinc happens.

Would AI be nice, well depends. Sometimes yes. When you're driving in areas where not many people are (90% of the map), that way it doesn't get boring not seeing anyone, not having to care about traffic etc.

But at the same time areas like CD, and other busy areas I would not like to see AI. It would only make it chaos, and cause even more lag. Also during private convoys, or when driving with friends. You don't want to have AI interrupt your convoy. On event servers, sure, it can be deactivated. But 90% of the convoys are not on event servers. And having people split up just because AI decided to be in the way, yeah it would be chaos.

There are pros and cons, and that is not considering the technical difficulties implementing it.

Global Cargo - LogotypeHuman Resources & Admissions staff + Driver for Global Cargo

Discord: PallePuh#0001
bild.png.3ad6b22aa78f2119832bf7da59c9047d.png

I would not like to see AI vehicles enabled on the multiplayer platform because the lag and other various issues that it would cause for various players who might not have the best of gaming computer or the best of internet. I could see various coding issues as well. 

Programmed traffic would be fun on multiplayer, but I really hope they make 1 sim server with programmed traffic and one without. 
I hate the programmed traffic.

The reason I don't say AI traffic, is because AI stands for Artificial Intelligence.
Intelligence means you can learn from mistakes and make adjustments.

The traffic is very dumb and also doesn't learn. 

I played with traffic a bit on ATS, but I ended up ramming them off the road, if they were in my way. Those American trucks don't have a big bull bar for nothing XD

So making AI traffic work on TMP is a much bigger job than it sounds. Cause i am sure we could just add the AI files to the server and it would work. But that would bring the issue that its not synced. So that would give a lot of trouble. But it also gives another problem. That AI traffic would spawn anywhere, no matter how many trucks are around. Which would cause huge problems on like the CD road. So something would need to be implemented that meant that AI traffic would only spawn if there was under a certain amount of trucks around in an area. And i think figuring out how that would work is harder than it sounds. Like should AI traffic automatically despawn in front of your eyes if it drives into an area with too many trucks? There is a lot to figure out there. So its not just turning it on. But who knows what the future brings? I am sure its gonna come at some point ?

7 hours ago, MrSirViking said:

Like should AI traffic automatically despawn in front of your eyes if it drives into an area with too many trucks?

Despawning would indeed be confusing.

But what about taking the last exit or turn before entering a defined high populated area?

What about blocking AI traffic from spawning in certain defined areas?

I agree, AI traffic shouldn't make road traffic worse.

It should populate deserted areas and with that create a more realistic image of road traffic.

2 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Despawning would indeed be confusing.

But what about taking the last exit or turn before entering a defined high populated area?

What about blocking AI traffic from spawning in certain defined areas?

I agree, AI traffic shouldn't make road traffic worse.

It should populate deserted areas and with that create a more realistic image of road traffic.

The problem is here, that we did not program the AI traffic. And i highly doubt that we are gonna reprogram that traffic. So making traffic take a turn off before a populated area is probably not gonna happen. The AI traffic is gonna drive where the AI traffic is gonna drive.  And that is why this is such a headache i think, cause its gonna take some figuring out, so that the traffic is not driving places we dont want it. But it should also be made so that someone cant just follow an AI car until it drives into an area we dont want it in. So i am glad i am not the one who has to figure that out ?

In my opinion, YES. A simulation server with this feature can be opened. Since some people may not like the AI traffic in the game, there will be many people who do not want to see it on all servers. So it would be great if a dedicated server is opened for AI.

The first impression of this was given in 2018. And many were looking forward to it, but unfortunately it did not happen. But recently, in the statement made by mwl4, it was mentioned that there will be more interest and innovation in the truckersmp, maybe we can see this in the coming months! ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager

Archived