What brake intensity would you recommend in ETS2?

ash.exe

Question

Two things to ask:

• How do I edit the brake intensity though the config instead of using the slider? (where's the file location)
  • What brake intensity would you recommend me to set it to?

I've encountered two scenarios, one where I almost crashed into a vehicle and another where I crashed into a vehicle accidentally. I feel my brake intensity is too low as it takes much longer to slow down/come to a stop. I would like a recommendation of what value I can set the brake intensity to, in order to slow down without having to crash into the vehicle ahead.

banner

6 answers to this question

You will find it in the "config_local.cfg" file located inside your profile folder (each profile uses it's own file).

Either search for this line in that file, or type this in the console (without entering value, it will return currently set value):

"uset g_brake_intensity"

The value ranges from 0.333333 (slider all the way left) to 3.0 (slider all the way right), default value is 1.0 (slider is exactly in the centre position), which is already somewhat strong, most simulation oriented players would decrease the value.

I just use default value, can't recommend increasing it, it's best to set it where you feel comfortable and get used to it, working with braking pedal depending on other conditions affecting braking distance, like total weight, tyres and weather, among these, weight is the dominant factor.

Maintaining safe distance from vehicle in front of you or slowing down, even just releasing gas pedal, when in doubt, helps a lot. Also keep checking good distance in front of you, don't stay focused just on the vehicle in front of you, I never have any problem unless someone brake checks me on purpose.

Utilizing other braking system, which are at your disposal, namely exhaust brake and retarder, is extremely advantageous, be it in automatic or manual operation. Just be careful with retarder in rainy conditions with low rating tyres. 

• Like 1

Hey @Ash_0104,

It really depends on what setup your using. Each wheel and pedal is different as they all use different springs. If you use a gamepad or keyboard then that's a totally different level as well. For me, I use a Logitech Driving Force GT Pro and I've found that around a .5 is best. If your using pedals like me, try around that or a little higher but remember that your pedal setup may be different than others so it may take some trial and error. My suggestion would be to use the in-game slider first, drive around a low traffic city and see how it feels with traffic lights and such. Once you get it in the ballpark, then you can do further refinement in the config file that way you save time rather than always doing it through changing the config and having to reboot the game each time.

Hope this helps!

- Farm Shark

• Like 1

Hello,

For me, brake intensity have to be changed every time if your cargo mass is different every time. Let's compare with you got a 2t cargo and 24t cargo. When you're using 2t cargo, maybe around 1/3 to 1/4 intensity are more than enough; for 24t cargo job, you may have to slide the intensity to maximum since the cargo mass did affect your brake efficiency. 

You may want to try adjusting a few more times to make yourself feel right when braking ?

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hello there, 

We are glad to hear that your problem has been solved.  
Thank you, to all who participated. Have a great day!  

Sincerely, 
Caramba2412 
TruckersMP Support 

//Locked and Moved to Solved. 

• Like 1

Greetings,
Caramba2412   

TruckersMP Support Team Leader