Fuel economy between Scania S & R

PallePuh

Hello!

My friend and I have been driving in ETS a few times now; him in the Scania R 730 with a 6 gear H shifter. And me in the Scania S 730, with a 12 gear H shifter. Both are the next gen version. However, what I find confusing is all the time he gets a few hundred extra kilometres from his fuel tank. We both run the same size tank, 1000L. My first thought is it shouldn't be such a difference of the fuel consumption between the S & R, because they're both the same engine etc. But I'm not entirely certain if ETS has truck weight really implemented. Because the R should be lighter than the S since its lower too.

I just want to add that we both have the same axel configuration, the same cargo, the same roof.

In game, the dashboard says his fuel consumption is 57, and mine is 48. But since that is measured over the whole truck "lifetime" it might not be accurate.

So I got a few questions, which hopefully can get answered from people here.

-Is the Fuel consumption so different between S & R?

-Is 6 gear a more fuel efficient gearbox overall?

-Is the fuel consumption messed up in ETS?

-Can you measure fuel consumption easily? (Can you reset the dashboard fuel consumption)

Global Cargo - LogotypeHuman Resources & Admissions staff + Driver for Global Cargo

Discord: PallePuh#0001
bild.png.3ad6b22aa78f2119832bf7da59c9047d.png

The difference is mostly the weight of the truck.

The weight of the Scania R 4x2 chassis: image.png.9af185274082a7ebf8d2f226c584b5d4.png

The weight of the Scania S 4x2 chassis: image.png.e3128e7ebf6df68added58d17bb876f4.png

(Top is front wheels, bottom is rear wheels)

You can see that the Scania R is 300 kg lighter than the Scania S. 300kg might not sound like a lot for a whole truck, but it can make a surprisingly big difference.

Also, for some reason different chassis options are different weights more or less. (E.g. the Scania R 8x4 chassis weighs 400 kg less than the Scania S 8x4 chassis, for some reason)

The 6 gear can be more efficient than the 12 gear transmission, depending on your average speed.

Keep in mind, different tires in ETS2 actually will have an effect on your fuel consumption. Not much, but over the course of 1000 liters and many km it adds up.

Yes, you can reset the fuel consumption, you have to set a key to reset trip info in the game controls. Both of the trucks will be able to show your average fuel consumption.

And finally yes, fuel consumption in ETS2 and ATS is very incorrect, but I suspect they don't have much interest in changing it because of licensing.

24H4oa0.jpg

6 hours ago, P h o e n i x said:

And finally yes, fuel consumption in ETS2 and ATS is very incorrect, but I suspect they don't have much interest in changing it because of licensing.

I think, fuel consumtion is quite accurate, provided that you use "realistic fuel consumption" settiing in the game options.

On the other hand, most of the truck and trailer part weights are very simplified, only chassis affects overall weight, cabins are coupled with the chassis, if there are more option for one chassis type, they are all the same, any accesorries have no effect, but the amount of fuel left in the tanks adds weight (again, fuel tank size is coupled with the chassis). For trailers, body type also affects weight, in case of most common box trailers, refrigerated/reefer body is a bit heavier than curtainsider and dry freighter.

What matters much more is the way you drive. Given that just about everyone in ETS2 drives 730 or 750 HP 110km/h (usually coupled with the wrong transmission choices for the job) they are out of the optimal RPM range most of the time, because ETS2 transmissions are geared for 80-90 km/h.

Frankly 57L or 48L per 100km is very bad for normal cargo, I get around 50L/100km average with 730HP Scania and 18t 5-axle lowbed hauling overweight loads that makes the whole rig go up between 50 to 80 t of gross weight.

All the other trucks I have driven (and they are all the brands and models) are mostly around 500hp with 12-speed transmissions and 4x2 chassis, and they will average around 30L/100km, provided that drive within speed limits.

My current truck is 4x2 Scania R500 with 12-speed overdrive, it has 19671 km, most of that is on job and with the load, using KRONE BoxLiner, the average consumption is 27,4L/100km.

Can't say too much about ATS, but for the standard cargo, the consumption is generally higher, because of higher speed limits, even though american trucks are permitted about 4t less than european trucks (40t vs 80000 lbs limit).

I've got only limited experience, my 3 trucks are 600hp, biggest 6x4 chassis/tanks/cabin combination, 18-speed eaton except one has 12-speed transmission, all with more than 100000km, they average around 40L/100km, and I stay within speed limits. 

On 6/27/2021 at 3:34 AM, P h o e n i x said:

The difference is mostly the weight of the truck.

The weight of the Scania R 4x2 chassis: image.png.9af185274082a7ebf8d2f226c584b5d4.png

The weight of the Scania S 4x2 chassis: image.png.e3128e7ebf6df68added58d17bb876f4.png

(Top is front wheels, bottom is rear wheels)

You can see that the Scania R is 300 kg lighter than the Scania S. 300kg might not sound like a lot for a whole truck, but it can make a surprisingly big difference.

Also, for some reason different chassis options are different weights more or less. (E.g. the Scania R 8x4 chassis weighs 400 kg less than the Scania S 8x4 chassis, for some reason)

The 6 gear can be more efficient than the 12 gear transmission, depending on your average speed.

Keep in mind, different tires in ETS2 actually will have an effect on your fuel consumption. Not much, but over the course of 1000 liters and many km it adds up.

Yes, you can reset the fuel consumption, you have to set a key to reset trip info in the game controls. Both of the trucks will be able to show your average fuel consumption.

Thank you very much for your in depth explanation. It's cool to see that chassis types effect weight. I didn't expect it from a simulator to be honest. I guess Ive played too many "bad" simulators. Thanks for giving me the numbers, do you know in what file they can be found?

Also interesting to hear that the 6 gear can be more efficient, I always thought bigger = better, but I was wrong. Ill go and try out the difference between the gearboxes. Might need to give 6 gear a chance.

So the fuel consumption also resets with the trip reset button. Nice.

Global Cargo - LogotypeHuman Resources & Admissions staff + Driver for Global Cargo

On 6/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, Granite said:

I think, fuel consumtion is quite accurate, provided that you use "realistic fuel consumption" settiing in the game options.

On the other hand, most of the truck and trailer part weights are very simplified, only chassis affects overall weight, cabins are coupled with the chassis, if there are more option for one chassis type, they are all the same, any accesorries have no effect, but the amount of fuel left in the tanks adds weight (again, fuel tank size is coupled with the chassis). For trailers, body type also affects weight, in case of most common box trailers, refrigerated/reefer body is a bit heavier than curtainsider and dry freighter.

What matters much more is the way you drive. Given that just about everyone in ETS2 drives 730 or 750 HP 110km/h (usually coupled with the wrong transmission choices for the job) they are out of the optimal RPM range most of the time, because ETS2 transmissions are geared for 80-90 km/h.

Frankly 57L or 48L per 100km is very bad for normal cargo, I get around 50L/100km average with 730HP Scania and 18t 5-axle lowbed hauling overweight loads that makes the whole rig go up between 50 to 80 t of gross weight.

All the other trucks I have driven (and they are all the brands and models) are mostly around 500hp with 12-speed transmissions and 4x2 chassis, and they will average around 30L/100km, provided that drive within speed limits.

My current truck is 4x2 Scania R500 with 12-speed overdrive, it has 19671 km, most of that is on job and with the load, using KRONE BoxLiner, the average consumption is 27,4L/100km.

Can't say too much about ATS, but for the standard cargo, the consumption is generally higher, because of higher speed limits, even though american trucks are permitted about 4t less than european trucks (40t vs 80000 lbs limit).

I've got only limited experience, my 3 trucks are 600hp, biggest 6x4 chassis/tanks/cabin combination, 18-speed eaton except one has 12-speed transmission, all with more than 100000km, they average around 40L/100km, and I stay within speed limits. 

Ofcourse is the weight system simplified. They cant really take everything into consideration. I guess they could, but that would probably take a lot of time. 
I didn't know trailers also counted into the weight. Realistically would reefer and insulated weight more than curtainsider, the materials are heavier. In this case with me and my friend we had the same body, so thats no different, but I think we had different trailer chassis configuration. So that would add up to the fuel consumption.

Also, you're right, ETS transmissions aren't meant for 110, but maybe some gearbox is better than others for high speeds. Which is that? 12, 6, 12+2?

I dont know exactly my fuel consumption, but I use 730, high roof, 6x4 and do 110. And really I don't aim to be fuel efficiant either. But it was just for fun.

Thank you for your answer, very much appreciated?

3 hours ago, PallePuh said:

Thank you very much for your in depth explanation. It's cool to see that chassis types effect weight. I didn't expect it from a simulator to be honest. I guess Ive played too many "bad" simulators. Thanks for giving me the numbers, do you know in what file they can be found?

Also interesting to hear that the 6 gear can be more efficient, I always thought bigger = better, but I was wrong. Ill go and try out the difference between the gearboxes. Might need to give 6 gear a chance.

So the fuel consumption also resets with the trip reset button. Nice.

You would have to extract the def.scs file in the game's install folder. (Usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Euro Truck Simulator 2\).

Here's a link to the extractor, if you haven't already done that: https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Documentation/Tools/Game_Archive_Extractor

Then in the extracted files it would be in \def\vehicle\truck\truck name\chassis\chassis name.sii

You should be able to open the .sii files with almost any text editor.

It is worth mentioning the cabins and wheels have weight to them as well (in \def\vehicle\physics.sii), but it's all the same weight for every cabin and wheel on every single truck/trailer. There's also the weight for fuel, but based on what I know that isn't simulated in the physics, its just a number for when your truck gets weighed in places that weigh the truck.

The default weight for the cabin is 700kg, and the weight for the wheel(s) is 85kg. I don't know if that's per wheel or per axle.

24H4oa0.jpg

19 hours ago, P h o e n i x said:

It is worth mentioning the cabins and wheels have weight to them as well (in \def\vehicle\physics.sii), but it's all the same weight for every cabin and wheel on every single truck/trailer. There's also the weight for fuel, but based on what I know that isn't simulated in the physics, its just a number for when your truck gets weighed in places that weigh the truck.

The default weight for the cabin is 700kg, and the weight for the wheel(s) is 85kg. I don't know if that's per wheel or per axle.

Thats's what I meant in my post, although essential parts of the truck really do have weight, it's so simplified that only changing of the chassis really does make any difference in overall weight. Most of them share same weight, no matter the size, I guess that includes engines and transmissions too, they all use same weight value probably. Back in a day, when there were only 5 trucks in ATS, I did some tests in-game, using weight stations, The results was that each of the 5 trucks with the same fuel tank size - 150, 200, 220 or 300 gal -  had the same weight, no matter the differences in cabins and wheelbases - for example W900 and 389 have considerably longer wheelbase, and VNL is the shortest of them all.

I don't know about 2016 Scanias, maybe SCS configured different weights for R and S chassis to compensate for the cabin size difference , although they visibly share same model for the frame and axles, so they should be identical, and in reality they really can use identical chassis, along with different Scania series, like G or P.

22 hours ago, PallePuh said:

Also, you're right, ETS transmissions aren't meant for 110, but maybe some gearbox is better than others for high speeds. Which is that? 12, 6, 12+2?

I dont know exactly my fuel consumption, but I use 730, high roof, 6x4 and do 110. And really I don't aim to be fuel efficiant either. But it was just for fun.

I have no idea really but from my observation, standard overdrive 12-speed runs on lower RPM at a given speed than any other transmission, an is capable of reaching higher top speed than the rest. In case of 2016 Scania that would be GRSO 905 - note that "O" in the name always denotes it's overdrive transmission.

12+2 and 16-speed are overdrive too, but with shorter gears (those +2 are extra very low crawler gears), they may seem to accelerate faster unloaded thanks to that, but they are really designed for heavy loads or driving through hills and  reach lowest top speed of all. 

6-speed willl have highest acceleration on flat roads unloaded, becasue they are clutch-less true automatic transmissions and change gears without loss of power input, but they will suffer with heavier loads, especially on hills, definitelly not a transmission for 40t truck.

Different truck brands may differ slighly with gear ratios and differential ratios, so there may be slight differencies, but not that much with comparable power output. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager

Archived