Best gearbox? (12 vs 6 speed)

Turbo Diesel V8

Hello,
I'd like to know your opinion about which one gearbox is better. I've seen some comprasing videos but  I would like to know the opinions of players who drive longer time on a 6 or 12 speed gearbox.
Main questions:
Which one is better for longer runs?
Which one is better for shorter journeys with multiple stops?
Which one is better for max speed?
Which one is better for driving in rain?

thanks for all answers

Kind Regards,
Turbo Diesel V8
TURBODIZELV8.jpg.363cb9585bf0b06e25497844a12d0ddf.jpg

Hi!

I'd prefer 6 gear. It looks like more easy and comfortable to me.

-Which one is better for longer runs?

-Which one is better for shorter journeys with multiple stops?

-Which one is better for max speed?

-Which one is better for driving in rain?

I can't decide on the last question but, In all of these situations, I prefer 6 gear. Because you shift less. So it's more comfortable.

Also speed limit is 110 km/h on TruckersMP servers. So I don't think gearbox' affects max speed.

LanguagesTR / EN

-> Rules | Feedback | Report System | Ban Appeal <-

image.png

12 speed is usually better for long distance because you can get a gearbox with lower RPM in 12th gear than you could get in 6th gear, which means you can save fuel and go a longer distance without refueling

Either 12 or 6 speed work well for short journeys with lots of stops, but if its a lot of traffic then the 6 speed is probably better if you aren't doing heavy loads because of the quicker initial acceleration

12 speeds in ETS2 theoretically have the highest top speed, but TMP is limited to 110kmh anyways

There won't be a difference in rain, especially not in ETS2

24H4oa0.jpg

-Which one is better for longer runs?;
If you do 12 gear, you will accelerate more slowly, but your speed will increase to maximum.

If you are in a long traffic, you should select 6 gear so that you can accelerate rapidly.

12 gear.

If you use 6 or 12 gear, you may find that it won't matter in rain.

That's a great question, and you brought up great sub-questions.

Sadly, I can't answer those because I've only really used 12 gear for normal driving.

But I can give my experience.
I prefer 12 gear because it gives you faster acceleration at the same time, it also works great for heavy haul.

My friends and I actually tested it, in the arcade server on a highway. We all had Scania S 730s. Everyone manually shifting it. And the 12 gear was faster at accelerations than 6 gear. Now sure, it wasn't at all the most scientific test, and many factors could influence it. Also, I'm sure if you get used to 6 gear, then it might be as fast or faster than 12 gear, idk.

Global Cargo - LogotypeHuman Resources & Admissions staff + Driver for Global Cargo

Discord: PallePuh#0001
bild.png.3ad6b22aa78f2119832bf7da59c9047d.png

19 hours ago, Tilod said:

Depends on several factors such as height profile and differential setup and final drive ratio. In the end it doesn't really matter since most gearboxes run at the same rpm range in the highest gear and therefore provide no advantage/disadvantage to other gearboxes.

Depends on the type of the transmission (converter or classic).

Converter transmissions are good for acceleration due to better and faster shift sequences, and lower time in fuel-cutoff, which you would do a lot in your scenario. Also less gear changes means less use on clutch/transmission.

Therefore a 6 speed converter transmission is great for shorter journeys. (example ingame: Allison 4600 transmission)

All trucks are limited to 90 - d'Oh!

Otherwise - Depends on several factors such as differential setup and final drive ratio

The gearbox that allows you to drive in a low rpm/torque band pretty much all the time which would be any 10+ gear gearbox in trucks (also accounting for the 10 speed gearbox of ATS)

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

22 hours ago, Tilod said:

Hello,
I'd like to know your opinion about which one gearbox is better. I've seen some comprasing videos but  I would like to know the opinions of players who drive longer time on a 6 or 12 speed gearbox.
Main questions:

thanks for all answers

Hello there,

6 gear is quick acceleration and carry normal cargos with 4x2.

12 + 2 gear is slowly acceleration uneven terrain driving hills traversal driving and carry heavy cargos with 8x4.

Hello @Tilod

-Which one is better for longer runs?

-In the long run it would be good a 12 speed or 16 now depending on what you drive.

-For short distances and stops I recommend the one with 6 steps.

-The 6-speed one will help you leave faster and reach a maximum speed.

-I don't know what to say here because you still don't see a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager

Archived