Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Better and more communication from TMP

Dubbeledraaideur [NL]

So this morning around 05.45 I couldn't sleep and decided to do some TMP trucking.
After 3 minutes of loading on ProMods and then another 3 minutes of loading for the job, I finally set off. (some navigation update error in promods).
At 06:00, the server closed the connection. And my client wanted to reconnect, but it couldn't.
Was this due to maintenance? I don't know, because it didn't say in chat why the server closed the connection.
Or was it just to have everyone mandatory accept the new rules? Because that popped up when I logged in again.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/532894061783416833/848407077055758336/20210530054335_1.jpg

Even though TMP staff is all volunteers, is too much to ask for some better communication from the admins?
Like the issue of the servers lagging like crazy, from time to time. (like last Friday night). This issue is going on for months. Other than that it is known, there has been no further communication about it. Would be nice if we could get some details, and maybe some information about the troubleshooting of this issue.

Is it the fault of the TMP servers, being overrun? Is it the fault of TMP ISP, or the Host provider? Is it a switch or router, that has a buffer overflow what is causing the lag spikes?
Maybe not that specific, but give the community something about this major issue, before people get fed up with it stop their patreon and/or go over to SCS Convoys.

And maybe it is a idea, if a server restart is planned, or needs to happen. To give the admin a selection: 
- Restart due to scheduled maintenance (Giving server announcement in chat, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute before the restart and on the restart itself).

- Restart due to unscheduled maintenance (Giving a restart reason notification).

- Restart due: *Fill in reason* (Giving a restart reason notification).

Most MMO's do this. People need to know when the server gets restarted, so they can find a place to safely park their convoy. And also for people who can't handle sudden changes well, so they know ow this is going to happen. Instead of **** I got disconnected! (And I think I've seen those announcements few years ago before a restart).

If the server admins are not willing or able to communicate with the community, about ongoing issues. Maybe let a communication manager, ask for weekly or bi-weekly updates on ongoing issues, or planned maintenance. And have the communication manager communicate this with the community. 

Little more work, but if you communicate better, people are more patience. (I learned that as a phone service employee). As then people know that issues are being updated. 
And then people don't start a page long suggestion/discussions on the forums, about the lack of communication.

It's been communicated before that the server provider that TruckersMP are using had a very large server fire (you can find it on Google, search for "OVH server fire"), unfortunately the provider still has some stability issues that are being worked out.

Also, there is normally a posted warning in the chat that the server is about to be restarted in the next "x" minutes when there is an update or otherwise needed restart.

To add to that, there is usually some communication on upcoming restarts/changes here, if they can't be announced normally: https://truckersmpstatus.com/

The unfortunate thing in my view, is that things aren't as widely announced/communicated as they should be (generally, things are only kept to the forums and the discord), and they are generally only communicated in English until someone translates it themself.

24H4oa0.jpg

Hello @Dubbeledraaideur [NL],

Not just you, many players have these problems. I am confident that these issues will be resolved as soon as possible as we have spent a long time at TMP. Remember that developers sometimes spend time with problems they can't solve, places where they have problems, and their families. They are also a HUMAN! I suggest you wait patiently and give it time.

Also, don't forget that there is a FIRE where the systems are located...

Kind Regards,

TheBear

12 minutes ago, TheBear1 said:

Hello @Dubbeledraaideur [NL],

Not just you, many players have these problems. I am confident that these issues will be resolved as soon as possible as we have spent a long time at TMP. Remember that developers sometimes spend time with problems they can't solve, places where they have problems, and their families. They are also a HUMAN! I suggest you wait patiently and give it time.

Also, don't forget that there is a FIRE where the systems are located...

Don't give me that. I already said they are volunteers and I know they are busy.

But the issue is for months now, and we didn't receive any update about it. 
They could at least share with us where they are bumping into.
Maybe they need new equipment, but due to the chip shortage they don't get the equipment.
Maybe they have problem buying new equipment, because of a financial issue (solution crowdfund).

Maybe they don't communicate with us, because they think everything must be perfect and communicating about issues, is demeaning.
Hello were not in China or Russia. People know that nothing is perfect and problems arise. (At least 85% of the players).

Maybe their hosting provider doesn't want to solve the issue. Even though it is in their equipment. (Communicate then, the issue is with a 3rd party and we wait for them to solve the issue).

Doesn't take hours to make a single post. 

I will agree with you on this one, I would prefer more communication and more clarity from TMP regarding the issues you stated.

Regarding the servers closing today early, it was communicated in the discord channel #Truckersmp-status and was an unscheduled update. I wasn't in game when it closed down, but I agree the server should warn, I can't imagine it would be so difficult due to implement due to the system already being in place. I don't know why TMP didn't use the system to alert people in game, that's beyond me.

The unstable connection with TMP servers is something I have long wanted an official update on. After the fire in the server building a few weeks / months ago, the servers were initially unstable, and that was understandable and communicated. After then, it worked fine, the servers were fine for weeks. Until quite recently where the servers have become unstable again, servers with high ping, or servers completely dying for a bit. There has been no communication about that, which has led to people unsure what the problem is, and conspiracy start forming. Yesterday I heard someone say there was another fire in the same building, while someone else said it was DDoS attacks. But not a word from official TMP. I don't expect much, but at least a post about it, no matter how brief it is. Because then people don't get the feeling TMP doesn't know about the issue / don't care about it.

Note: This is not hate against TMP or their staff, this is just constructive criticism, to make them evolve.

Global Cargo - LogotypeHuman Resources & Admissions staff + Driver for Global Cargo

Discord: PallePuh#0001
bild.png.3ad6b22aa78f2119832bf7da59c9047d.png

3 hours ago, Dubbeledraaideur [NL] said:

Don't give me that. I already said they are volunteers and I know they are busy.

But the issue is for months now, and we didn't receive any update about it. 
They could at least share with us where they are bumping into.
Maybe they need new equipment, but due to the chip shortage they don't get the equipment.
Maybe they have problem buying new equipment, because of a financial issue (solution crowdfund).

Maybe they don't communicate with us, because they think everything must be perfect and communicating about issues, is demeaning.
Hello were not in China or Russia. People know that nothing is perfect and problems arise. (At least 85% of the players).

Maybe their hosting provider doesn't want to solve the issue. Even though it is in their equipment. (Communicate then, the issue is with a 3rd party and we wait for them to solve the issue).

Doesn't take hours to make a single post. 

Heres your answer https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/ovh-fire-update-four-halls-sbg1-destroyed-well-all-sbg2/ you can't fix that, just be thankful the host OVH salvaged what they could to keep clients online!!!!

Guest - Pink Ribbon -

Solution is to get some new hamsters on the wheel as it seems like the older hamsters are getting tired ?

I think everyone has connection problems even I do. And yes is frustrating to get kicked in the most important moments, but I think that we should give them more time. I am not sure but even if they had problems with OVH server provider, the number of players is still growing. And for my part I don't have lag at all my ping is stable at 40-50 all the time, even when people around me have 200-300 spikes. But I sometimes get disconnected and on reconnection I have that error with, your steam account is still connected or something. But other then that I think the game is fine as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the frustration around the TMP Connections . Also the staff is probably figuring out how they fix it  and yeah communication is maybe not the strongest point of them. But i'm sure they're aware of it. Meanwhile you can do a single player for a few hours and then try back the tmp ? 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager

Archived