Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Steam Controller won't allow to change gears

Jonek1999

Question

I use a Steam controller for driving ETS2 and up until 2 weeks ago I had no issues whatsoever to change gears myself with the additional pads underneath the Steam controller (refer to image below). But at some point it just stopped working and now all those pads do (either of them) is zoom-in when inside the cabin. I can't change the controls in the settings and funnily enough when I play in "simple automatic" mode they function as gear advisors (I can suggest to shift to a lower or higher gear).

It is only when I go into "sequential" mode that it doesn't work and I can't change gears.

I would like to know if anyone has those same issues and how they fixed them (if they managed to fix them). Any ideas?

VYM3kD.jpg

TruckersMP driver

----------------------------------

Jonek1999

Discord: Jonek1999#2290

VTC: Alle Group

5 answers to this question

As one of the few users that actually uses a Steam Controller, I had this exact same problem as of the latest update. Since ETS2 changed the Steam Controller settings in the update, there were bound to be a few problems, and it took me several hours of trial and error to get everything working again. I've got a few fixes here for you, depending on the problem you run into:

Make sure you add TruckersMP as a program to Steam. Simply use the dropdown menu under Games and click Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library. Make sure you have your ETS2 setup in your personal bindings menu, otherwise you'll have to set it up all over again.

In the game, make sure your controller settings are how they should be. I've personally had issues where it automatically sets itself to Keyboard+Mouse. Make sure you select the Steam Controller option - it should be in there, though it looks a bit wonky with a lot of numbers.

Also make sure your throttle and break settings are correct. In my case it automatically assigned these to my stick and not to the bumpers. This one took me a while to figure out.

Please tell me if these solutions solve the problem for you. If it doesn't I'd love to look into this deeper with you, as I've had similar issues and know how much of a pain it is to configure everything correctly.

14 hours ago, [Mega Trans] CrystaL said:

As one of the few users that actually uses a Steam Controller, I had this exact same problem as of the latest update. Since ETS2 changed the Steam Controller settings in the update, there were bound to be a few problems, and it took me several hours of trial and error to get everything working again. I've got a few fixes here for you, depending on the problem you run into:

Make sure you add TruckersMP as a program to Steam. Simply use the dropdown menu under Games and click Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library. Make sure you have your ETS2 setup in your personal bindings menu, otherwise you'll have to set it up all over again.

In the game, make sure your controller settings are how they should be. I've personally had issues where it automatically sets itself to Keyboard+Mouse. Make sure you select the Steam Controller option - it should be in there, though it looks a bit wonky with a lot of numbers.

Also make sure your throttle and break settings are correct. In my case it automatically assigned these to my stick and not to the bumpers. This one took me a while to figure out.

Please tell me if these solutions solve the problem for you. If it doesn't I'd love to look into this deeper with you, as I've had similar issues and know how much of a pain it is to configure everything correctly.

Thank you for your answer, but I'm still having issues where the game doesn't recognise the controller at all. I tried the Setup Wizard for a controller but when I then look at the "controls" menu it still just says Keyboard only and the "Controller Type" is grayed out. So I'm not even able to set any buttons or anything because the game doesn't recognise it.

TruckersMP driver

Jonek1999

21 hours ago, [Mega Trans] CrystaL said:

6 hours ago, Jonek1999 said:

Thank you for your answer, but I'm still having issues where the game doesn't recognise the controller at all. I tried the Setup Wizard for a controller but when I then look at the "controls" menu it still just says Keyboard only and the "Controller Type" is grayed out. So I'm not even able to set any buttons or anything because the game doesn't recognise it.

Nevermind I managed to solve it somehow and to be honest with you I don't really know how. I messed around with some configs in the normal gam (not TMP) and got it to work. After that I tried it in TMP (run from within the Steam Client in Big Picture Mode) and funnily enough nothing worked at all. Not just the gears, but not one button worked. Then I opened up TMP normally, without the Steam Client and now everything works flawlessly. I can change gears again and everything...

I am astonished as probably you will be while reading this, but I am just glad it works now. Thank you for your help with the issue!

Greetings,

Jonek1999

16 hours ago, Winter~ said:

Hello there @Jonek1999,

Did you get the answer you were looking for with the answer given above?
Your confirmation of the status of your issue/question helps us keep the forum always organized!
I look forward to your response ? 

Kind Regards,
Winter~ | Support
TruckersMP Team

Yes, I got the help I needed.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jonek1999

TruckersMP driver

Jonek1999

Hello there @Jonek1999! ?  

Thank you for your confirmation, Since you solved your issue. I will go ahead and move this topic to solved topics. Thank you @[Mega Trans] CrystaLfor answering as well ? 
If you have anymore issues in the future, feel free to open a new thread in our forum or to create a support ticket on our website: https://truckersmp.com/support

Kind regards,
Winter~ | Support
TruckersMP Team

//Locked and moved to Solved Topics

• Upvote 1