Add stop light to Calais Highway Intersection

How many of us have been in the area of Calais? Whether we are leaving the city of getting off the highway, the area is heavily populated.

• Players exiting the highway has to deal with this. Sometimes, rather long queues with anyone trying to queue cut to be on the exit ramp first.

My suggestion would be to add a light at this intersection that would allow both queue's to flow (hopefully, in turns). Of course, there will still be light runners, but nothing can be done about them.

Why should this be added? For 2 reasons

1. Getting into Calais from CD Road/Lille areas can be a struggle in itself.
  2. Some players don't know how the intersection works and will just proceed on as if nobody's there.
  • Upvote 1

I think this is a good idea, but I also think that there is the potential for traffic to back up really far down the motorway from Calais because there is almost always more people leaving Calais than entering, because it has a port/ferry that connects to the UK.

In that sort of case, we'd have another Europoort (or for players who haven't played in 2014/2015, Paris when there's been WOT events there) situation.

The other problem it can cause is that the majority of the traffic coming from Calais (rather than from the C-D road, as some people coming from the C-D are going to the eurotunnel or further into France) is going to take the next left turn, and that is only one lane. So I think there is the potential for that by itself to cause a jam (backing up into the intersection where a light could be placed) when players try to merge after going full speed from the light to find a space to merge. (In fact, it already happens even without a light)

Of course, there would only be one way to really see if it would work or be beneficial.

24H4oa0.jpg

Hey there! 

It could be great idea. Maybe it can helps as on traffic lights behind Duisburg city ? But problem is that some people do not follow the traffic lights ;-( 

Good Luck with your suggestion

Regards, 

RedWolf 

RedNub I TruckersMP

(ETS2 - 6,033 hours)

795749874_role_VeteranV(1).png.660f7fd7e1531540532_role_5Patron(4).png.063edcf85

Reporting a player  | Appeal your ban  | Support System  | Recruitment

Like Granite mentioned, a new intersection would be more useful than traffic lights, but traffic light could solve the problem a bit

Kind regards,

Loexie   

Bruijn Logistics | Driver

YouTube / Instagram / Twitter

Now i dont know this for sure. But i dont think we really edit maps a whole lot. There is a few examples of us having done it of cause, like just outside Duisburg. But we did not change where the road was going. The same In Calais itself. We just moved the Service station. We did not really change any roads. And i think that is the main thing here. We dont really change roads. Cause changing roads might mean that World Of Trucks contracts dosent work. If the roads are not where World Of Trucks contracts thinks it should be, you cant do World of Trucks contracts as far as i understand, but i might be wrong. Which is why we dont really alter where the roads goes. If we where to change the whole intersection to another one at that Calais intersection we might ruin World Of Trucks Contracts. But i dont know that for sure. And adding traffic lights might not work, since if people cant yield as they are supposed to, then they wont stop for a red light either. So i dont know what could be done about that area.  If we could just get people to follow normal road rules, then the problem would mostly be fixed. But that is an impossible task ?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lucas_17b said:

Like Granite mentioned, a new intersection would be more useful than traffic lights, but traffic light could solve the problem a bit

23 hours ago, P h o e n i x said:

I think this is a good idea, but I also think that there is the potential for traffic to back up really far down the motorway from Calais because there is almost always more people leaving Calais than entering, because it has a port/ferry that connects to the UK.

In that sort of case, we'd have another Europoort (or for players who haven't played in 2014/2015, Paris when there's been WOT events there) situation.

The other problem it can cause is that the majority of the traffic coming from Calais (rather than from the C-D road, as some people coming from the C-D are going to the eurotunnel or further into France) is going to take the next left turn, and that is only one lane. So I think there is the potential for that by itself to cause a jam (backing up into the intersection where a light could be placed) when players try to merge after going full speed from the light to find a space to merge. (In fact, it already happens even without a light)

Of course, there would only be one way to really see if it would work or be beneficial.

The Eastern Exit of Duisburg is a prime example of adding a light. On the base map, there's just a Yield for leaving Duisburg. The light is about 75% effective as the queue waits. Don't believe me? Check this out and scroll the the Duisburg exit. Even as the queue goes into the city, players may still respect NCZ and treat it as if there's no NCZ. And when that happens, players leave through the southern exit just to turn left at that first road. The queue there does backup but majority of players in it are going straight.

19 hours ago, [GökBörü] H4ns said:

Hello, Really well thought out. That area is very crowded. and nobody gives way.

Thank you. That can be said anywhere. Just hope they interfere with your driving so you can report them and give them a 2 week ban.

20 hours ago, berechtigter said:

What if TMP were to build their very own motorway exit? (like for example in Lille or on the CD Road near Brussels).

If it works, go for it. Though i suspect the problem with merging will still happen. I checked Google Maps and this is what it would look like. Zoomed In. But it won't be official until SCS revamps the base map. Netherlands, UK, Belgium. Technically, Calais is in France.

21 hours ago, Mohammad Afzooni said:

This offer is not very useful my friend. There are always players driving off the road

You have a better solution? Regardless, idiots will always drive off the road because they are impatient. So far, i have 2 solutions

1. Is the light this topic is mainly about. The exit of Duisburg got one and you can see the results for yourself.
  2. On 5/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, Aquatic Sparrow said:

Zoomed In.

As mentioned in this reply, a new interchange would ease the flow into and out of Calais as exiting the highway doesn't need to cross the road. I'm all for the interchange update, like they did with Brussels-Rotterdam.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the idea but i don’t think it will help, to be honest I think it will be worse. The backlog of trucks would increase further down both highways. Maybe the people coming from  should have a little slip road leading onto the highway to calais just before that junction, so that traffic can flow easily in both directions and not cause any backlog. 

For example: https://imgur.com/a/gSxOnHd

Blue arrow leads to Calais, Light green leads to C-D.  The red line is the little slip road. 

“???????? ??? ??? ???? ?????, ???? ??? ??????????”

klMaegY.png DQtI0ZF.png

|| TruckersMP || Steam || Twitch || YouTube ||

On 5/26/2021 at 4:10 AM, Gutzy said:

Like the idea but i don’t think it will help, to be honest I think it will be worse. The backlog of trucks would increase further down both highways. Maybe the people coming from  should have a little slip road leading onto the highway to calais just before that junction, so that traffic can flow easily in both directions and not cause any backlog. 

For example: https://imgur.com/a/gSxOnHd

Blue arrow leads to Calais, Light green leads to C-D.  The red line is the little slip road. 

Later on, i took a look at how the intersection looks. TMP Map This is how it looks on the ProMods server and is very similar to how it looks on a real map. Take a look at it in Street View you should be able to grasp that this will solve the problem.

• Like 1

• Phon locked this topic
  • 2 months later...