GUIDE: Setup a headtracker using your webcam

Coolieboy

How to setup a headtracker with just your webcam (for free)

What you need: 
- A working webcam connected to your PC.
- AI-Track (Download)
- OpenTrack (Download)

image.png

If you've downloaded the two softwares above, you first want to open AI-Track.
Click the configuration button. 
You need to make sure "Use remote OpenTrack client" is enabled. 
image.png
Enter "127.0.0.1" at the "IP" address field. 
Enter "4242" at the "Port" field.
image.png.25d86e47f8a6669e69addd3b3bb8ce5b.png
image.png
Click apply, close the settings menu and click "start tracking". If you have the preview enabled, you should be able to see the software tracking your head.
image.png

Now you want to open OpenTrack.
Select the following in- and outputs:
image.png.13643aa4b0cbfa29dc492083d1a806a6.png
image.png
Check the input-settings (Hammer-icon), and make sure the port is set to "4242". --->   image.png.388eaee0d6368960a3277f9dea00d543.png
image.png
Next, go to the options menu, and go to the tab "Game detection"
image.png.a514bbd829b829cf5fc6024c43de19b2.png
Here you want to click the "+" icon. Then you want to browse for your ETS2 / ATS game. You can find this in:
Euro Truck Simulator 2:
D:/Program Files/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common\Euro Truck Simulator 2/bin/win_x86/ and select eurotrucks2.exe

Or
American Truck Simulator: 
D:/Program Files/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/American Truck Simulator/bin/win_x86/ and select amstrucks.exe

You can select a profile for it with different settings if you intent to use this software for other (non driving) games with different settings. If you don't have one (which isn't needed at all) select "default.ini".

image.png
Now if you click "start" you should be able to see the pink octopus moving, and the game data changing. Congratulations, your headtracker is now working. 
Anyway, there are still some settings to change to make your experience more suitable for for ETS2 / ATS
You can use any settings you prefer, how ever, you can copy my settings below and tweak it to your likings if necessary. 
image.png
My settings: 
Open the options menu within OpenTrack. 
Go to the output tab and invert the pitch.

unknown.png
image.png
Mapping: 
Open the mapping settings. 
You can copy my settings below. I have disabled the X- and Z-axis movements, as in my opinion this is really annoying while driving. The camera will also move
to the left / right or front / back if you move your head. You can try it out if you wish.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

image.png
I hope this guide has helped you. Enjoy the ride, and don't forget to look around to take in the breathtaking scenery!

Keep in mind that you must have both softwares opened, and enabled to track your head!

To (temporarily) disable the headtracking, simply zip up the folder of the OpenTrack and AI-Track software and deleted the none zipped ones. Unzip them again to use the tracker. A game restart is required to enable / disable the tracker. 

If you have questions, feel free to leave them below.
image.png

• Upvote 2

320068038_role_EventTeam.png | Coolieboy image.png.c81aeeba7d346c29c876fa6ae8778b53.png
Twitch | YouTube | Cool Convoys | VTC

• Coolieboy changed the title to GUIDE: Setup a headtracker using your webcam
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Coolieboy said:

@BokoBrody, Make sure you check the game detection settings. 

If you mean detection settings in OpenTrack I did this. I set SteamLibrary - steamapps - common - euro truck simulator 2 - bin - 64x - eurotruckc2.exe
When I turn on the game OpenTrack automatically starts tracking. But its says "Unknown game" and didnt work in ets2.image.png.e2332936822836da40b4687b0407ba7a.png

@BokoBrody, hmmm.. Sorry to hear that. I don't really have any other idea's. I'm sorry.
The only thing you can try is to double check if the profiles connected to the .exe file corresponds to the selected profile.
This profile needs to have the in- and output settings set correctly.
unknown.png

If you have done all of this and it still doesn't work in-game, do you still see the pink squid moving?

320068038_role_EventTeam.png | Coolieboy image.png.c81aeeba7d346c29c876fa6ae8778b53.png

• 2 months later...

Thanks @FernandoCR [ESP]for that tip. I'll try it out!

@CaptainMaarten, what I usually do to disable the tracker temporarily and use the mouse in-game, is zipping the folders needed for the headtracking and deleting the unzipped ones. You have to do this with your game closed, that's why Fernando's method sounds even better. I will try that one out aswell. 

If you want to enable the tracker again, simply unzipped them en run the files.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:40 PM, CaptainMaarten said:

in my case it was a bit buggy, quite like but disabled it since it was buggy, now cant look around in firstperson with my mouse and cant disable any settings related to eye tracking.

You can also bind a key in the settings to disable the headtracking :)

• 1 year later...