Profanity censor filter for in-game chat

Suggestion Name: Profanity censor filter for in-game chat

Suggestion Description:

Apply a profanity censor filter to the in-game chat.

Any example images: n/a

Why should it be added?:

TruckersMP can be accessed by minors. It is our responsibility to protect them from any harm.

We should ensure a safe and enriching online experience for all users.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Why has a feature like this still not been implemented? Suggested 4 and 2 years ago, nothing of the sort has been mentioned since [according to forum search]. Obviously such a filter for minor 'swear' words is not really needed but why would saying the 'n word' be acceptable ever? I also want to state a feature like this should never be over used. I like to think that common sense would be to filter out extreme language but to leave less discriminatory speech as is, it is trucking after all. 

It was suggested in the post from 2019 that "you can easily bypass those filters" is a good reason for not bothering at all? Two solutions to that problem 4 years later would be: A) Who cares? I would rather see someone saying a racial slur on TMP with a letter substituted than see the actual word in its entirety, or, B) Find a solution to bypassing by substituting letters, adding spaces, or whatever the alteration may be. Are you really telling me that there is no way to code something to check for false positives, altered words, etc.?

This should absolutely be in the game, but for now how about at least looking into it again. Please.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure, but I think that the chat messages are processed by the same server (the one you play on). The technical problem I see here is that it can add delays due to message processing. It's the same issue I see with the message translation.

In my opinion, a workaround is to run the chat feature on a separate server... but this means additional costs (and we don't pay for the mod).

A solution that could work is an ignore list, or ability to ignore specific users/players, and not receive/see their messages unless you remove them from the ignore list. Game would still receive the message (maybe even log it in the chat file) but it wouldn't display it on your side... and all the processing is done on client/game side, not on the server side.

{   c0de   }

1531540532_role_5Patron(4).png.063edcf85 

status.png

If this was toggleable, I think its a nice idea. You have to be 13+ anyways to play TMP (as you need to be 13+ to own a steam account) and so in theory most people have been exposed to swearing by then and arn't insensitive to it. Also it's a bit of text. Having it toggleable would be nicer in my opinion

Tune in 12pm-2pm (UK TIME) every Sunday for the Lunch Time show!

image.png.1008adaeff763c70a3d51da6a7a32f91.png

status.png

Tune in | Steam | WoT account | loolee.#0

It might not be the popular take, but for minors (if age is a asked thing for a TruckersMP profile, idk?) I'm ok with it. But I like that nature of TruckersMP and it shouldn't be a thing for adults (unless a turned on option). I'm not saying that I partake in such commentary, but just idk I think it can be funny how wild people may or may not be. I don't take much seriously when it comes to online randos though.

And trust; people will always find a way to say what they want. And I say that based on Wizard101, that game has an UBER amount of chat filters and is a kids game (or targeted towards a child audience).

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, ALABÖRÜ said:

Why is such a feature needed in the game? So what I want to say is, why do we need to send an abusive message? If there is a player who is disrespectful to this degree, I think censorship is unnecessary , because he should be clearly detectable and banned from the game immediately

As stated in the original post,it's purpose is to protect minors.

It might additionally turn out to be a useful mean to reduce the workload of the report system.

• Like 2

it can be used to camouflage such bad mentality players , how will I have the right to report when the person in front of me comes to me in a censored way when they swear at me? And when a player wants to swear at you, he can do it in any way (*) for example, he writes this way, and you understand in any way that it's important not to host players in this mindset here , as an idea , yes, it's a well-intentioned idea , but we shouldn't forget that, in general, under-age players write articles with profanity and insults

19 hours ago, ALABÖRÜ said:

it can be used to camouflage such bad mentality players , how will I have the right to report when the person in front of me comes to me in a censored way when they swear at me?

If you can't identify an insult as such, why would you want to report it?

Even if you felt offended by censoring asterisks, you wouldn't have a valid reason or evidence for a report.

3 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

If you can't identify an insult as such, why would you want to report it?

Even if you felt offended by censoring asterisks, you wouldn't have a valid reason or evidence for a report.

This is exactly what I want to say, a player insults me and this message is sent to me in a censored way, according to the rules of the game, swearing and insults are banned, nowadays, when a player wants to insult in the game, by using short words and characters such as asterisks in (*) words, he actually escapes the ban and achieves his goal, I understand your good intentions and I really think that it is a good advice for young children who approve the game properly, but I think it is not necessary because there are players with bad mindsets, but if there is a rule change and an additional rule for censored messages, then this Update can be added.