Would you become a patron if TMP started featuring unique professionally made addons?

Scaveng3r

Would you become a patron if TMP started featuring unique professionally made addons?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

• Hell yea! I'd chip in (not a patron yet)
    • Nah, I'm fine with mediocrity (not a patron)
    • I'm already a patron, but wish things would be better
    • I'm already a patron and happy with everything as it is

After seeing the announcement of "Alternating Vehicles" I thought the staff is finally ready to embrace mods into TruckersMP. One thing they lack is CONTENT. Don't know about you, but I'm not fond of taking a traffic car model, slapping a Skoda interior onto it and releasing it as "Top patrons-only" vehicle... But what if we had completely new ones, built from scratch? And not just enthusiast quality level, but created by a professional 3D artist? How many of you would crowdfund a step up like that?

• Scaveng3r changed the title to Would you become a patron if TMP started featuring unique professionally made addons?
9 minutes ago, Sysgen said:

It's a trucking game, i don't drive cars or vans.

Oh and option 2 is really biased

Sorry, I'm not used to sugarcoating things. I wouldn't donate myself the way it is right now... If you think it's biased, you can skip the vote entirely. It would be no different.

As for vehicle types - I'll clarify: "addons" is a blanket term. It may be trucks SCS skipped on or haven't caught up yet (like the next MAN, etc)

Hey!

It's easy to ask for high-quality addons for patrons. On one hand I can understand you that it may seem "boring" to "only" have the exterior change for the alternating vehicles, on the other hand you should keep in mind that it isn't just a small job to create these vehicles. We can't just create trucks that exist in the real life, since they're probably licensed, which would cost loads of money, but I don't have too much knowledge about that kind of stuff. You should also keep in mind that this project was a huge step forward in terms of new vehicles. Basically everyone always wanted new vehicles, such as the van, which is something that was realized with the introduction of the alternating vehicles project. Something else to keep in mind as well is the fact that this project is very new and has only had its first vehicles out yet. Maybe in the future the interiors will be changed too, who knows? But for now I would say it's a huge step forward in regards to new vehicles, which should not be forgotten, even if it's only the exteriors that change. But that's just my opinion ;)!

Kind regards,  
Inklink  
TruckersMP GM + FM

spacer.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rules | Recruitment | Feedback | Support | Guides | Report System | Appeal System | Knowledge Base 

I disagree with your suggestion for several reasons:

1. I am a Patron because I want to support the mod. The team has created something amazing and they offer it to everyone for free. However, since I have the capacity to do so I am happy to support them so that they can keep everything running. If I felt like the money was not used in a proper way, i.e. not used for server and website upkeep, but rather to fund side projects that no one needs, I would be less inclined to keep supporting them.

2. I believe the mod should accessible to everyone. While your suggestion of additional content does not exclude anyone from playing the mod, it does exclude people from what would probably be good content. There is a delicate balance between rewarding those who support you, and alienating those who don't. With the exclusive vehicle for Patrons the team is, in my opinion, right on the edge. Anything more would make it too much of a pay to play situation, rather than simply rewarding those that support them.

I believe your suggestion is the result of a different vision of what the mod should be. Rather than creating the best possible experience without limiting the experience of people that can't or don't want to support the mod, you would like to create the best possible experience for those that pay, without protecting the experience of free users. This is not the direction I would like to see the mod go.

Edit: I would like to add that if you were truly interested to see what people think, you would not have phrased the poll this way. You are clearly just trying to force down your opinion. My guess is you are the 'professional 3D artist' that would be paid using the increased donations.

spacer.png

Pries Logistics | Discord | Website | Insta | Twitter | Facebook

2 hours ago, Colored_Greens said:

2. I believe the mod should accessible to everyone. While your suggestion of additional content does not exclude anyone from playing the mod, it does exclude people from what would probably be good content. There is a delicate balance between rewarding those who support you, and alienating those who don't. With the exclusive vehicle for Patrons the team is, in my opinion, right on the edge. Anything more would make it too much of a pay to play situation, rather than simply rewarding those that support them.

I believe your suggestion is the result of a different vision of what the mod should be. Rather than creating the best possible experience without limiting the experience of people that can't or don't want to support the mod, you would like to create the best possible experience for those that pay, without protecting the experience of free users. This is not the direction I would like to see the mod go.

I'm amazed how one can find something here to warrant so much aggression... You'd have a really hard time convincing me that addition of patron-exclusive addons would have any impact on the experience of remaining players in a game that's devoid of any competitive elements. It's not even locations behind a paywall we're talking about. Everyone still gets to enjoy trucking with their friends without spending a dime (besides the game itself and official DLCs). Even mentioning the phrase "pay to play" in this instance is an extreme case of fearmongering (probably caused by lootbox PTSD).
Besides, they're already doing it and the only problem with it is that said vehicle is just an AI car. I can hardly imagine anyone becoming a patron just to have it. But I thought a lot of guys would, if the stuff they were given was actually worth it.

I do have a different vision. For this multiplayer to evolve into something bigger than a side project, perpetually stuck in "alpha" limbo. It's been 4 years FFS! To still call it "very new" sounds like a joke... A very unfunny one. There is potential and room for growth. I don't know why you're so against having more stuff to treat backers with (other than a badge beside their nickname) and have more resources to put into development as a result (because donations would grow). The whole idea behind this poll is exactly that - to show the dev team what they're missing out on. It's a suggestion. Because the staff told me to make a thread. And I've heard them complain about "limited resources" as the excuse for not investing into content creation. So here it is. But if no one wants it, then I'm wrong and they're doing the right thing by ignoring such suggestions. Believe it or not, I don't care if anyone agrees with my opinion. And I'm also used to seeing complacency killing off many promising projects. I'll just wait for SCS's official multiplayer implementation then. 

6 hours ago, Scaveng3r said:

After seeing the announcement of "Alternating Vehicles" I thought the staff is finally ready to embrace mods into TruckersMP. One thing they lack is CONTENT. Don't know about you, but I'm not fond of taking a traffic car model, slapping a Skoda interior onto it and releasing it as "Top patrons-only" vehicle... But what if we had completely new ones, built from scratch? And not just enthusiast quality level, but created by a professional 3D artist? How many of you would crowdfund a step up like that?

I think you're slightly missing the point of the alternating vehicles. The whole scheme is designed to offer a large variety of vehicles to the public without having a single big download. It also ensures that the vehicles that are in-game are highly requested and will be used (as the vote shows the support in favour for the particular vehicles).

As to the comment about the "slapping a Skoda interior", as said in the blog post here, creating a new, high-quality interior for each new vehicle is simply "not viable", and from my limited experience in 3D modelling, I can certainly confirm that it would take a lot of time to create a new interior for each vehicle. By using the Scout interior, TruckersMP are actually maintaining a high quality interior, as the Scout has received numerous improvements over the years, so the current iteration of the design is very polished with moving buttons etc.

I'd also like to mention that using the AI models has some significant advantages in terms of download bandwidths and ease of deployment, so making and then distributing "completely new ones" would almost certainly be impossible without additional (and expensive) network bandwidth. 

I also definitely agree with the other comments made about how TruckersMP should remain entirely free, without any features behind a paywall. I'm perfectly happy with one or two additional vehicles exclusively for Patrons, because that doesn't materially change the gameplay experience, whereas having "completely new ones" would. 

Therefore, I disagree with your suggestion, as I believe that it would detract from the experience that TruckersMP set out to provide.

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

2 hours ago, Scaveng3r said:

I'm amazed how one can find something here to warrant so much aggression... You'd have a really hard time convincing me that addition of patron-exclusive addons would have any impact on the experience of remaining players in a game that's devoid of any competitive elements. It's not even locations behind a paywall we're talking about. Everyone still gets to enjoy trucking with their friends without spending a dime (besides the game itself and official DLCs). Even mentioning the phrase "pay to play" in this instance is an extreme case of fearmongering (probably caused by lootbox PTSD).
Besides, they're already doing it and the only problem with it is that said vehicle is just an AI car. I can hardly imagine anyone becoming a patron just to have it. But I thought a lot of guys would, if the stuff they were given was actually worth it.

I do have a different vision. For this multiplayer to evolve into something bigger than a side project, perpetually stuck in "alpha" limbo. It's been 4 years FFS! To still call it "very new" sounds like a joke... A very unfunny one. There is potential and room for growth. I don't know why you're so against having more stuff to treat backers with (other than a badge beside their nickname) and have more resources to put into development as a result (because donations would grow). The whole idea behind this poll is exactly that - to show the dev team what they're missing out on. It's a suggestion. Because the staff told me to make a thread. And I've heard them complain about "limited resources" as the excuse for not investing into content creation. So here it is. But if no one wants it, then I'm wrong and they're doing the right thing by ignoring such suggestions. Believe it or not, I don't care if anyone agrees with my opinion. And I'm also used to seeing complacency killing off many promising projects. I'll just wait for SCS's official multiplayer implementation then. 

I'd just like to mention that SCS' multiplayer is not going to be MMO, but instead based on the idea of "convoys", which I believe is going to translate into small, private servers with a limit of around 20 players. Therefore, it'd be completely different to TruckersMP in a lot of ways.

You might be waiting for a while if you want SCS official MMO multiplayer (I don't think this will ever happen, as running an MMO service is a lot of work and it seems unlikely that SCS would want to directly compete with TruckersMP given their relatively good relationship).

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

11 minutes ago, quality_prods said:

By using the Scout interior, TruckersMP are actually maintaining a high quality interior, as the Scout has received numerous improvements over the years, so the current iteration of the design is very polished with moving buttons etc.

I'd also like to mention that using the AI models has some significant advantages in terms of download bandwidths and ease of deployment, so making and then distributing "completely new ones" would almost certainly be impossible without additional (and expensive) network bandwidth. 

Oh please, it's like you're still living in 1999. Of all reasons it's "not viable", this is one of the weakest. Bandwidths... Such a huge problem, I can't even imagine how other player-driven projects are dealing with it...
As for 3D modeling challenges - don't make it look harder than it actually is. It's cool and all to be perceived as some sort of wizard by the general public, but mostly it's just a bluff. Same thing with programming. You just need to know what you're doing. 

So far I'm still not convinced. And I know damn well that all mentioned reasons for giving up are only arbitrary, which is sad.

8 hours ago, Scaveng3r said:

Oh please, it's like you're still living in 1999. Of all reasons it's "not viable", this is one of the weakest. Bandwidths... Such a huge problem, I can't even imagine how other player-driven projects are dealing with it...
As for 3D modeling challenges - don't make it look harder than it actually is. It's cool and all to be perceived as some sort of wizard by the general public, but mostly it's just a bluff. Same thing with programming. You just need to know what you're doing. 

So far I'm still not convinced. And I know damn well that all mentioned reasons for giving up are only arbitrary, which is sad.

There are several implications of increasing the size of the mod download. 

Even when the alternating vehicles were released, it took a long time for everyone to download them, and you're suggesting having hundreds of megabytes of more downloads.

Bandwidth is a massive issue and is one of the main limiting factors - just consider how many concurrent downloads you'd have.

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

3 minutes ago, quality_prods said:

It seems clear to me that you don't understand the implications of increasing the size of the mod download. 

Even when the alternating vehicles were released, it took a long time for everyone to download them, and you're suggesting having hundreds of megabytes of more downloads.

Bandwidth is a massive issue and is one of the main limiting factors - just consider how many concurrent downloads you'd have and then come back saying it's one of the "weakest".

Ever heard of peer2peer?

Hey again!

I've been following the activity in this topic recently and noticed a more and more disrespectful way of writing. I'd just like to remind you to, even if you do not agree with someone, you should still write in a respectful manner. Of course a good discussion can be fun, but it can also easily get out of control. Therefore I'd just like to say: Be respectful and treat others the way you wanna be treated! 

If the situation does not improve, I'm afraid further action needs to be taken. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me :)!

Kind regards,  
Inklink  
TruckersMP GM + FM

spacer.png

Rules | Recruitment | Feedback | Support | Guides | Report System | Appeal System | Knowledge Base 

with the idea of patreon only vehicles being added to the TruckersMP universe, wouldn't that then make those behind TruckersMP liable for lawsuits because they're somewhat profiting off of patented designs if they used real world vehicles as mods? I know it's different with the single player mode because majority of mods used are all free so no one profits but from what I've read, having a subscription service that offers you exclusive vehicles in game would mean there would have to be royalties paid to specific companies wouldn't it? sorry if I'm way off topic, it's nearly 1am haha.

33 minutes ago, ChrisLickytung said:

with the idea of patreon only vehicles being added to the TruckersMP universe, wouldn't that then make those behind TruckersMP liable for lawsuits because they're somewhat profiting off of patented designs if they used real world vehicles as mods? I know it's different with the single player mode because majority of mods used are all free so no one profits but from what I've read, having a subscription service that offers you exclusive vehicles in game would mean there would have to be royalties paid to specific companies wouldn't it? sorry if I'm way off topic, it's nearly 1am haha.

I think using the AI vehicles is a good way of ensuring compliance, as those files are already in-game, so SCS has made the decision to include them and presumably consulted to ensure legal compliance.

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

If I had extra money to spend, I would support them just for the simple fact that what they do allow me to play with others and that's it.

To answer your question, I wouldn't pay for something only those who pay will be able to get / use. I'm old, been there, done that. Not anymore.

[ World of Trucks | TrucksBook | TwitchTV | Speed Limit ]

20 minutes ago, ChrisLickytung said:

with the idea of patreon only vehicles being added to the TruckersMP universe, wouldn't that then make those behind TruckersMP liable for lawsuits because they're somewhat profiting off of patented designs if they used real world vehicles as mods?

Modding has always been a grey area. But car manufacturers aren't usually so stuck up to issue C&Ds to every individual, who's creating addons using their brands. It's different for game developers. There are no loopholes. But both SCS and a number of small developers got away with using 100% accurate models by only debadging them. 

I'd only be extra careful when it comes to Ford. They have a long record of being particularly nasty and scummy with their IP.

Worst case scenario - make the addon available for all users and/or make changes to it so that it's not infringing on anything. But I don't know how majority of backers would feel about it.

In any case, such things are secondary issues that aren't worth worrying about until it's decided whether or not the community wants to make this happen.

First there needs to be sufficient demand for custom mods. Then the will of dev team to fulfill it. The rest would be a technicality.

Personally, I would start becoming a Patron if TruckersMP released their own custom interior. I'm not on about for every vehicle, but a custom made TMP interior that they'd use on every addon vehicle excluding the Skoda. Maybe if you were a patron you could also get some cool interior bits like air freshener/bag to put on the seat as another way of saying thanks. That could be cool.

6 hours ago, Scaveng3r said:

Modding has always been a grey area. But car manufacturers aren't usually so stuck up to issue C&Ds to every individual, who's creating addons using their brands. It's different for game developers. There are no loopholes. But both SCS and a number of small developers got away with using 100% accurate models by only debadging them. 

I'd only be extra careful when it comes to Ford. They have a long record of being particularly nasty and scummy with their IP.

Worst case scenario - make the addon available for all users and/or make changes to it so that it's not infringing on anything. But I don't know how majority of backers would feel about it.

In any case, such things are secondary issues that aren't worth worrying about until it's decided whether or not the community wants to make this happen.

First there needs to be sufficient demand for custom mods. Then the will of dev team to fulfill it. The rest would be a technicality.

I was honestly thinking more along the lines of trucks in all fairness....I don't really see car manufacturers kicking up too much of a fuss seeing as how popular GTA Roleplay has become and majority of servers offer you real world cars to drive. I don't care too much for the idea of driving cars in a truck simulator, unless they were to try and implement the specialist cargo DLC and offer pilot vehicles for players to drive. I've always questioned the idea of the team behind TruckersMP adding a safe modding system for modders to implement fully checked truck DLC just to add a variety of trucks over the handful of stock trucks we have in the game already, but as I stated in my previous comment, if that were implemented as a "pay to play" type service then that could open issues for the staff from certain truck manufacturers.

Initial i thought is should be a standart that everyone should support TMP .... but after some time i was thinking "for what actually?? "  

a batch every chinese guy gets to copy without beeing a patreon ??   

a fancy trailer paintjob nobody else see and you cant take over to the SP ??   

a extra section in the forum i would never use ??  

no matter how i twist and turn this theres not enogh things or options that would make me spend Euros for it as much as i would like to... i would need a realy good reason to do so.... something that is worth the prize.  

as things are i dont see anything in this direction.  

its like the DLC´s  ... you get something for your money ....  ok the mighty griffin thing is not worth it with basicly only one ugly AF bullbar...  

On 3/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, Scaveng3r said:

We are not doing any sort of Complacency and its not a side project at all. In the years we have existed things has just gotten better and better and we have just gotten more and more users. Where we are now over 4 million registered users. But this will probably always be some sort of Alpha since how would it be anything else. We are not an official multiplayer so we will always have to update as SCS does updates. And with SCS constantly updating and putting out DLC and features, we cant really be much other than an Alpha. And even if we had more resources i wouldent expect us to put out any sort of truck made by us. Not in the quality you talk about. SCS takes months if not longer to put out a truck. After they manage to get the license for it. Cause it simply takes so long to create in 3D with the details it has to have. And they have multiple people working on that stuff i am sure. And we would need a lot more than a few extra patreons to actually hire people full time to work on this. The idea of the patreon is that you become a patreon if you like the mod and wanna support it. Not because you get something special for it. And me myself, am not a huge fan of the exclusivity behind a paywall. And feel free to wait for SCS's official MP. Its gonna be nothing like what we have here. Its gonna be like lobby games with i dont know how many people but i would guess like 4 or 6 people. And thats it. You wont get the MMO experience we have here.

20 hours ago, MrSirViking said:

We are not doing any sort of Complacency and its not a side project at all. In the years we have existed things has just gotten better and better and we have just gotten more and more users. Where we are now over 4 million registered users. But this will probably always be some sort of Alpha since how would it be anything else. We are not an official multiplayer so we will always have to update as SCS does updates. And with SCS constantly updating and putting out DLC and features, we cant really be much other than an Alpha. And even if we had more resources i wouldent expect us to put out any sort of truck made by us. Not in the quality you talk about. SCS takes months if not longer to put out a truck. After they manage to get the license for it. Cause it simply takes so long to create in 3D with the details it has to have. And they have multiple people working on that stuff i am sure. And we would need a lot more than a few extra patreons to actually hire people full time to work on this. The idea of the patreon is that you become a patreon if you like the mod and wanna support it. Not because you get something special for it. And me myself, am not a huge fan of the exclusivity behind a paywall. And feel free to wait for SCS's official MP. Its gonna be nothing like what we have here. Its gonna be like lobby games with i dont know how many people but i would guess like 4 or 6 people. And thats it. You wont get the MMO experience we have here.

One vehicle in a few months is better than never. And you have some leeway to not license anything, since it's a mod. It's not about it being too hard more than about wanting to do it at all. But you're right about one thing: a handful of patrons really won't cut it to fund that.
As for the second part: when "MMO experience" consists of some random Chinese or Turk slamming you off the road going 140kmph, or t-boning you in a city, running a red light, or purposefully annoying everybody on the CB - it's not actually a selling point. That kind of experience I can live without. You may be surprised to see how many people would opt for a local 4-6 friend co-op with shared deliveries, AI traffic and mod support instead. 

Many things could be improved if that "new game mode" you teased a while back ever saw the light of day. That would actually be something to brag about.

For me, Truckermp should not have exclusive content. I am in a position to have a patron, but many other players do not have a good financial condition to do so. So, I believe that the truckermp, to cheer up those people who have no condition, could put in these events, as a prize, the option of the person choosing to be a patron or the gift certificate. I think it's cool for people to help truckermp, because that way, they can dedicate themselves more and create these exclusive content that so many players ask for. 

Yes, many players complained about the interior of the launched cars, but you have to note that this was a major breakthrough in the truckersmp mod system and for me, those responsible are congratulated.

Returning to the focus of the forum, I hope that truckersmp does not release content only for those who have Patron. But if they launch, then it would have to be something really exclusive and perfect, that is, with cars with different interiors, because that way, people would start to want these items.

Archived