Has ETS2 or ATS ever felt underwhelming to you?

antrax737

So latelly I'm thinking a lot, there is so many really good video games out there and a normal person has max. of four hours a day left to game, if you want to push it you can have up to 7 but then real life starts to suffer. So becasue of that i kinda want to spend my time playing the games which in one way or another have ability to improve me, for example; solving problems, thinking fast, managing a couple different things at the same time and so on.

Here the topics title comes into play, I can not find a justify playing ETS2 and ATS, nothing to achive, nothing to think about really, latelly I even started driving with GPS navigation turned off, just to feel more alive when I'm driving on the same road for the 200th time, I'm getting close to 3 mil. km in ETS so for some roads, 200 doesn't even seem like a big number. As I started to play not using GPS navigation I figured it would be at least semi-hard, I mean you need to know at all times where you are in order not to get lost, but that's it really, SCS is pretty good at road signs. I also found out that I actually know the map really well and 70% of the time I don't even need road signs.

Last year I had a goal, it was to make 1000 deliveries, i made it to 650, a few more or less, so lets say average 2 per day. This year the goal is to get to a round number, which I think is 5000 deliveries total, so 350 to go and the second goal is to get to 3 mil. km, 200k km to go. Honestly these goals are probably not even goals because i know how easy it is to do 200k km in a year, my best is 27k km in a week, so 200k km is, if I'd want to do it I can do it in 10 weeks. 

Also, driving a truck in the two games is really easy and I can't remember when I had a crash last time, sometimes on some roads I don't feel like braking so I just drive on the limit of a truck, now I'm not talking 110km/h into a turn, I am talking about doing 70 where I really should do 60 for the sake of simulation. Two months ago I almost rolled over, but the thing is it wasnt almost, I had it all planned, the speed, the entry point, the exit point, the... everything! I knew there is no way I could fail, I basically drove thru the turn on just right wheels, all left wheels up in the air, while staying in my lane. You can see noobs do that all the time half of the time they crash, but I had the truck under control from the moment I decided not the break, to the moment I hit the right speed, to the moment I lifted left wheels off the ground and to the moment I sat it back down on all wheels. I knew how to do it, I don't remember the last time I crashed and I sure as hell didn't want to crash there, so even if it would start to lean too much towards the ground I'd just counter steer and bring it back down on all wheels, I really had the right speed and everything.

So I think I am skilled, Idon'tknowhowtocrash type of skilled and it is boring so I feel like there is nothing much left to do in ATS or ETS for me, but at the same time, SCS is pretty big company now and they learned thru time how to do their absolute best, I have been loving the new stuff they released in past two years, ATS is undertaking ETS like mad in my opinion. I just love what SCS is doing but at the same time, 3000 hours in and all I still do is drive from A to B, just like on the day ETS2 was released. It may be relaxing, but when you spend 3000 hours, relaxing in a video game, man just meditate or go for a walk, it is even more relaxing plus long term it is much better for you.

So I feel kinda stuck, I like both games, after playing for so long, I know the pros and cons of both, I kinda like SCS latelly aswell, but at this point, I feel like I'm just killing time when playing the two games. I don't want to quit because I think SCS has some pretty big stuff in the pipeline for both games but at the same time I'm the type of player who is all in or all out, so I can't play for example, only on sunday afternoon. Also quitting after 3000 hours in, who does that? At this point you go for 10000 hours.

Kind of a rant there, what I wanted to say is probably, how do you justify playing ETS and ATS day in and day out for years when you can't benefit from it? For past two years even with all DLCs and what not, I've felt like there is something missing, probably some kind of a challenge or some kind of a goal which I don't have to come up with on my own, you know, a part of a game. That's the underwhelming part I guess, does anyone feel the same way? If not what keeps you motivated?

I'll really appreciate all the opinions I get on this one, thank you in advance.      

Hi,

My motivation even after thousands of hours spent in game is one word – multiplayer. The best thing is, you never know who you'll meet or who are you gonna have an accident with. It's so unpredictable and I think that's amazing. And when there's a World of Trucks event, then I am thousand times more motivated to play the game. I almost forgot the achievements. I have motivation to achieve all the achievements, that can take a lot of time. I actually have 100% of achievements completed, so I have to wait for new achievements with the Iberia DLC.

Regards,

//ASIR 

2032295431_role_GameModeratorLeader(1).p

As a matter of fact, I've switched back to singleplayer months ago.

Mainly because most areas of Europe and America are simply deserted in multiplayer.

And that by far doesn't meet my desired level of realism. 

The areas that are crowded however are basically a snake pit filled with trolls, reckless players and ignorant players.

So I would have to choose between pest and cholera?

No thank you. Instead I enjoy driving on busy roads and in busy cities in singleplayer with AI traffic that drives more reasonable than many players in multiplayer.

@ASIR [CZE] Mp, was motivation for me for a long long time aswell. Now I seem to be over that, events are underwhelming for me, just same old A to B, last one I didn't even bother with, lets just say that I don't play well with something where one side is constantly being shut down and one side is on the news all the time. Achivements, I feel like there is nothing really supporting some of them and you cant actually plan like you would in some other games, sometimes trying to get the achivement you have to run without a cargo over entire map, simulation lost right there.

@blabberbeak aka Joao :P, the thing with AI for me, too predictable, again, hard to fail, I know how AI works, basically it has been the same for years, besides smaller upgrades making it safer. There is one thing I really dislike about AI in ETS, on motorway they usually drive at 83-84km/h, I usually do 85 and AI trucks they usually follow each other so when you overtake you overtake 2 or 3 in one go, so 1km/h difference and 3 trucks to overtake, you see my pain in the butt there, it takes 10 minutes. I still prefer MP, in real life there is no guarantee that you will get safe from A to B, just like in MP, while in SP, if I do my 50% I'll get there while being blindfolded, guaranteed. Try giving everyone in real life ability not to get killed on the road, the first day you'll probably get 10.000 ghostriders and turboriders in Germany alone. So it's not the players to blame but the game, it could be more hardcore. But not being safe at all times brings it closer to reality for me. The deserted part is getting really old now and some adapt some move on, i was adapted, now i'm in the middle, mostly because I played every open beta in last 2 years... if it was for singleplayer alone I'd never really start playing I think, would probably just stick to Battlefield and strategies.

Oh on the reckless drivers part, my reefer trailer in ETS has 300k km, during that time I had to reapir it 3 times, no major accident, three times at 70% damage but only on tires. Maybe I learned to spot the noobs and I sort of avoid them. But there are noobs in any MP game and essentially they ruin games for everybody, it just different scenario and it is acceptable, also people with maybe a different mindset in these games, example; any FPS game, your noob team mate will always do something wrong. 

@tattytate I play to challenge myself or like you to listen to something useful, podcasts or audio books. I need to do something all the time, so just kicking back and relaxing is the one thing i consider to be in a way, waste of time. You know the guys who stop by the side of the road in mp? Or drive fast to their destionation just to camp at the company for 10 minutes. That's something i maybe do 3 times in a year, when I play ets or ats I just go, no breaks, no waiting. I also tend to overthink stuff so i dont like being idle for too long.

I honestly think that it has not disappointed me, I have just gotten tired of multiplayer for a while or something, but it has not disappointed me to the point of not wanting to play anymore. It is a good game, which gives you great simulation possibilities, I think challenging yourself from time to time could even be an enriching driving experience. We must even continue to support safe truck driving and a love of role-playing. It is a great game, that I will never stop playing, and that is renewed every so often with its updates, maybe I miss more trucks to buy, and not having to resort to mods, but otherwise I will continue here with it.

@enrique_cg I don't think i'll really quit aswell, but just for an example, I dont remember last time i spent 3 or more hours at once in ETS or ATS. Today I ended up playing Cities Skylines and Europa Universalis 4, both for 4 hours and the time just flew by like, is this serious? I just got so distracted with all the planning and strategizing... man. I actually feel bad for gaming so much but it felt nice. Just next time, I'll limit that on 2 hours per game anyway xD

• 1 month later...

ATS has felt underwhelming thanks to very large open highways with not much to look at. The newer DLCs have resolved that a bit, but it still can't compare to ETS2.

ETS 2, yes. Especially the old areas that are in need of revamping (UK, Netherlands, Going East DLC). With Single Player, i have control over which mods i use and how much traffic density there is (10.0), but it's not the same without multiplayer. I just wish players would fan out and stop treating CD as if it's an ant hill covered in sugary goodness.

ATS yes. Prior to the revamp, the map felt small. Multiplayer died out quickly after the Oxnard traffic jam. I know the team has expanded and are doing the best to complete the map, but it doesn't feel like a game without a complete map. While i haven't played multiplayer since about 2017, having no more then 344 players on (at the time of writing this; with majority being in Las Vegas [33]) just makes it rather boring.

1 hour ago, Aquatic Sparrow said:

I just wish players would fan out and stop treating CD as if it's an ant hill covered in sugary goodness.

I'm glad they're there. Otherwise you run a greater risk of being rammed/trolled on the entire map. :thisisfine:

7 hours ago, Startle_The_Heavens_xX said:

I'm glad they're there. Otherwise you run a greater risk of being rammed/trolled on the entire map. :thisisfine:

True, though i'd rather have my recordings be featured in other locations. I've gotten lucky to see stuff happen outside of CD. I'm working on preparing a video. Just 4 more base recordings to get through ?

• 2 months later...

I wish mountain passes were as steep and long in-game as they are in real life. Colorado has some of the most gnarly passes in real life. Vail Pass along I-70 in CO is very underwhelming in the game. Same goes for Cabbage Pass in OR. Montana has Lolo Pass but that isn't in the game. Idaho's longest and steepest grade in real life is White Bird Pass. It's about 13 miles long and varies between 6% and 7%. That pass is located along US95 between Grangeville and the ID55 turnoff. I also wish there was an option to properly manage/watch the brake temperatures. Gearing down for the long steep grades would have higher consequences if you're careless.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind regards

Nody,

Forum Moderator

• Nody locked this topic

Archived