Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

TruckersMP Steam Helper - Browser extension

• 1 month later...

A future of this extension

UPDATE from December 24th 2022:

As you might already know, I am winding down my activity in TruckersMP community. This extension is now fully-featured and complete, no future updates will be performed. There was a fear that Google will disable Chrome v2 manifest in early 2023, but it seems like they have pushed it back to a later date - so the extension should work as intended for now.

I want to thank every single one of you who used this extension. Take care.

Previous statement:

Spoiler

As you might already know, I am winding down my activity in TruckersMP community, therefore the extension might go unmaintained in the next few years. But, there is a much heavier deal for this extension - the Chrome Manifest v3 adoption.

If you are not familiar with browser stuff, Chrome is changing the way browser extensions are made, with more attention to privacy of the end user (this statement comes from Google and I don't trust them that much). Pretty much all the current extensions for Chrome-like and Firefox browsers are developed using Manifest v2. In January 2023, Chrome team might start to run a series of experiments, which will determine how the ecosystem is prepared for previous version (v2) removal. That means that most of the extensions, including TruckersMP Steam Helper, might become disabled / inoperable in 2-3 months. 

I am planning to update my extension to Manifest v3, but there are some issues with that for now:

1) Firefox does not support full specifications for v3 yet. As both Chrome and Firefox extensions are identical, I will need to find the way to develop a new release and making Firefox version working around missing features (or maybe they will fix them in the meantime).

2) There are some technical problems I should overcome to deliver at least a comparable experience.

3) I don't have much time to maintain the project, so the time might slip away from me while I am trying to catch it up to the deadline.

I am still fully committed to release an updated version, but it will require some time. Please bear with me while I'm trying to do everything right. Thank you for your patience.

• Thanks 3
  • HaulieLove 1

• James unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...