Oh, the irony... (but thanks)

scaNIaCK

Two things:

1) I find it amusing and ironic that the seekers of 'realism' aka 90km/h speed limiting on EU1 have achieved it, but all the while actually doing ten times that speed. How so? Well thanks to the SCS ETS2 map compression, crossing Germany in 20-30 minutes, and the Netherlands in 10, equates to a realistic speed of about 1000 km/h. Making it possible to deliver two or three jobs for a VTC in one day that would take several days in reality. Realistic, not much.

2) I recently created a topic about a lack of vibe and activity on MP, with a few reasons why. Ironic though that the recent speed limiter changes have galvanised the forum community into frantic activity, in a completely unexpected turn of events. I have to say thanks though to the devs - the result has been really great, I think it is fantastic to see life injected back into things in such a way. A passionate community is an interested one.

This development gave an opportunity to try new, as well as old things.  Pedal to metal mode was predictable.  I caused 0 accidents but others just kept losing it! :D  I then experimented with hard-core simulation mode and followed truck speed limits which proved interesting to say the least.  Some were very patient and careful overtakers which was awesome to see, others were...just lel.  Going back-and-forth the Calais - Osnabruck small road, mostly 60km/h limit, reducing speed to 50km/h through the border checkpoints surely annoyed a few that evening. :lol:

Hopefully, my suggestion (which you've seen) will be implemented so that all servers would receive equal prominence, solving the SL/NSL server allocation issue.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect simulator, not even professional ones owned by the Airlines as well as F1 teams.  It's the playstyle that counts and there are possibly three or more very distinct playstyles in this community (Simulation, Accelerated, Pedal-to-metal).

Simulation: Plays the game as realistically as it would allow, given the constraints.  Follow all speed limits, traffic signals, go around roundabouts at no more than 30km/h, well aware of excess centrifugal forces.

Accelerated: The style with most variations.  Likes to cruise fast but has a target speed. These target speeds can vary and I have seen mentions of anywhere in the 90-120km/h ballmark.  Would stop at red lights selectively and keep their lanes while travelling fast.

Pedal-to-Metal: Goes as fast as possible with no cruise or coasting phase.  Most prone to cutting corners and disregarding other players.

1) I find it amusing and ironic that the seekers of 'realism' aka 90km/h speed limiting on EU1 have achieved it, but all the while actually doing ten times that speed. How so? Well thanks to the SCS ETS2 map compression, crossing Germany in 20-30 minutes, and the Netherlands in 10, equates to a realistic speed of about 1000 km/h. Making it possible to deliver two or three jobs for a VTC in one day that would take several days in reality. Realistic, not much.

I find it amusing that you criticize the seekers of 'realism' for something they can't change. The game is what it is and making a 1:1 map would take ages and wouldn't be very popular, you know why? The map would be almost completely empty, at least in ETS2MP. Think about it, we can have 2-4k players on the server on the 1:19 map and the roads are still relatively empty, especially in the eastern parts of the map. Increasing the size of the map would just scatter the players in a larger area and contact with other players would be relatively rare.

In addition to that, the time needed to take a trip from one end of the map to the other would take days, even weeks, as most people can't afford to spend ten hours driving a virtual truck to make decent progress towards their goal. At this point the game would effectively turn into a full-time job if you want to succeed in it. Which, again, isn't what the game devs were looking for. Nor were the MP devs either, and I believe most of playerbase wouldn't like the change either, 'realist' players included. I would like to try the mode, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as fun as the current setup where you can effectively log in for half an hour and drive through scenic European routes and relax. After all, this is still a game, even if it claims to be a simulator.

Just in case you're just trying to antagonize the realism-seekers, I have one thing to say to you. Please, do think what you're about to say before opening your mouth. This jab against a certain part of the huge playerbase was a bit underwhelming, as it more amused me than angered. Have a nice day. :)

signature.png

If that's a case, I apologize for my assumptions. I somehow got that kind of a vibe from your post. Of course, it is amusing when you think about it, but it still is something none of us can affect, so I'm not sure why it is even raised up in the first place.

signature.png

This development gave an opportunity to try new, as well as old things.  Pedal to metal mode was predictable.  I caused 0 accidents but others just kept losing it! :D  I then experimented with hard-core simulation mode and followed truck speed limits which proved interesting to say the least.  Some were very patient and careful overtakers which was awesome to see, others were...just lel.  Going back-and-forth the Calais - Osnabruck small road, mostly 60km/h limit, reducing speed to 50km/h through the border checkpoints surely annoyed a few that evening. :lol:

Hopefully, my suggestion (which you've seen) will be implemented so that all servers would receive equal prominence, solving the SL/NSL server allocation issue.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect simulator, not even professional ones owned by the Airlines as well as F1 teams.  It's the playstyle that counts and there are possibly three or more very distinct playstyles in this community (Simulation, Accelerated, Pedal-to-metal).

Simulation: Plays the game as realistically as it would allow, given the constraints.  Follow all speed limits, traffic signals, go around roundabouts at no more than 30km/h, well aware of excess centrifugal forces.

Accelerated: The style with most variations.  Likes to cruise fast but has a target speed. These target speeds can vary and I have seen mentions of anywhere in the 90-120km/h ballmark.  Would stop at red lights selectively and keep their lanes while travelling fast.

Pedal-to-Metal: Goes as fast as possible with no cruise or coasting phase.  Most prone to cutting corners and disregarding other players.

Im Accelerated :) Cruising at 55mph is not cruising at all, its walking compared to what a truck can do. I cruise at 80mph. Its just perfect, not too fast not too slow, it lets me remain in control of my truck whilst not falling asleep at the wheel because im going so slow

"A river starts out as a puddle, wanting to grow to something much bigger. As it grows, it begins to flow, making its presence known. After persistence, the river carves its path through the rock towards the sea. You are that river, start moving!

z_siteimages%5Cimg_2074_1395921187_826_2

4601768346.png

Heh, or tighten lashing straps, or kick tyres, or replace trailer numberplate, or deal with effect of high winds, oh there's loads of unsimulated things. But that's similar to shortcomings on train and boat sims too, somewhere a line has to be drawn by the game devs as to cost-benefit.

I feel the roads have gotten that bit more alive since the limiter was turned off. I used to drive a lot more before the limiter was forced. Yesterday I happily cruised at 110 km/h on the highways, and 90 km/h on country roads and it felt much better than forced 90 km/h all the time.

Sure, there's the problem of trolls and rammers, but the speed doesn't make much of a difference. The 90 km/h speed limit won't deter them from ETS2MP.

Heh, or tighten lashing straps, or kick tyres, or replace trailer numberplate, or deal with effect of high winds, oh there's loads of unsimulated things. But that's similar to shortcomings on train and boat sims too, somewhere a line has to be drawn by the game devs as to cost-benefit.

The reason ETS2 is so good, is because those annoying parts of the real life proffesion are taken out, and only the fun ones kept. If the game was a hardcore simulation, it wouldn't be as played as it is now.

i personaly find it not realistic at all without quicker traffic.i still am of the opinion that there should be cars ingame (AI cars seems technicly not possible to me but player controled cars might be possible),give the cars less mass soo trollers wont archieve anything in them and i think u might have something.as maybe non truck drivers would join the comunity itm ight expand the comunity and get somewhat of a realistic traffic going on.

anyway i think core parts of having a truck simulator are :-the trucks,the map and traffic.

trucks and maps are maybe not 100% simulation but a good % atleast.traffic in mp tough is at 1%.hence why i dont understand the simulation arguement that well honnestly.

but i do understand its all not easy too implent tough.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived