Driving Full Speed - Tell me your opinions

Lindsey McTavish

So, because I'm such a law obiding young women, I do stick to the speed limits, always, never ever driving faster then 5 kph over the allowed speed. It's a game about hauling stuff from A to B to C, no need to do it fast. I'm not completeley sure about men have to be so fast in all they do, yes, I MEAN EVERYTHING. We girls like it slow, you'll reach the desired destination even with sticking to the speed limits or doing it slow.... just a hint from me boys.. :P

But still, so many people drive as fast as if they were running away from their masters' whips when doing their daily haul. But why?

Tell me your opinions on that Topic. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When doing short jobs, I mostly keep to the speed limit.
But if I have to cross for example whole Italy on the autostrasse , then I go 110km/h. It feels a lot faster than 80km/h.
I got huge respect for people who keep to all the traffic rules in this game.

IRL I'm mostly easy going, especially in rush hour. Then I just cruise on the right lane, behind a truck going 80 / 90km/h.

I only do WoT jobs, limited at 90 Km/h, and rarely go that fast, most EU highways have 80 Km/h speed limit for trucks and even on those who have it higher, most trailers have a 80 Km/h limit. I'm that kind of weird player who would respect this even when the High Power Cargo DLC trailers had a 70 Km/h limit. The advantage of WoT jobs is that they work based on real time, so it's very unlikely that I'll need to rush to finish a delivery in time.

Now, why so many players seem to need the 110 Km/h all of the time? I'd say that the answer is MP. Most people don't understand an MP game where they don't have to WIN, to BEAT others. So to them, it's always "Me against the world". They only see this as "I have to go as fast as I can, I have to overtake everyone I see". Others, I call them the "absurds". They justify going fast because "they find it boring to drive slow on empty roads", but they don't use Arcade servers, where the roads are also empty but there's no speed limit, or they don't use SP where there's always traffic on the roads...

To end my comment, there are women who speed, there are men who follow speed limits. The only difference in numbers is that there are a lot more men than women playing this game. Saying that "men have to be so fast" or "girls like it slow", when it comes to a video game, is just... Not going to say.

I agree with you. There is no rush to do jobs or get to places quick and rushed. I like to take it slow, be relaxed, listen to music and just enjoy the journey. I don't mind if people drive fast, of course, but it's not my thing - especially when they drive fast and end up cutting you off or flipping over their vehicle because they have not drove properly and sensibly. It's all about patience. Some people's patience is very, very thin which explains why there is quite a lot of bad drivers, but my patience is strong, so I stick to the speed limit and rules no matter what others think.

They do it simply because this game has bad physics, since a truck barely reaches 110km/h in real life with a load (I know this because I have seen Brazilian videos where they violate the speed limit). Another reason is that it is proven that half of those who play TruckersMP do it for fun, to observe crashes, etc; and not to try to simulate "realistic" driving (I mean by the word try, as this is not a simulator; one of several reasons is this). And last and most obvious is that TruckersMP allows it. This is somewhat contradictory and I don't know why they do it, since they themselves say that they want to try to make all the players simulate; but with these things that they allow and others it is impossible for them to achieve it.

The thing I don't get about people who insist on driving 70mph everywhere is why they bought a game called Euro Truck Simulator 2 just to moan about how slow people drive their trucks.

Here's a situation I had yesterday on Sim1: I'm driving the speed limit with a tag of “!SPEED LIMIT!" in bright red so it's clear how I'm driving, when I notice someone zooming along in my wing mirror. They slow down and tailgate me, flashing their collapsed sun, honking their horn, and screaming something unintelligible through their Microwave Microphone™ for a few miles in which there were plenty of gaps in the oncoming lane in which they could safely overtake. The moment an entire convoy appears on my sat-nav, however, this genius decides it's the perfect chance to go for the overtake. When it becomes clear, quite early on might I add, that he's not gonna stop and he's not got the time to pull back into the right lane, I put on my hazards, turn onto the grass by the road, and slowly stop my truck once the trailer's off the road - standard procedure for me when this happens, and usually it avoids an accident.

Then I notice he's still in the oncoming lane. You can guess what happened next; he crashes and causes a pile-up, but he shows up in chat saying he'd recorded (which I hope he did because Game Bar decided to be helpful and not let me cap this) and would report me for reckless driving and blocking. He'd already had about 10 seconds by this point to pull back into the right lane.

Again, I was driving the speed limit, keeping my truck stable - versus this keyboard warrior wobbling like a house made of jelly - keeping myself in the correct lane and giving him space and time for his own mistake to be compensated for. I drive with realistic physics and wheel settings because I'm looking for a realistic experience. If I drive more than 34mph round a lot of turns I'll tip, and some require me to go as low as 28mph. Yes, I'm sad enough to have learned the exact limits of my daily driver. It's literally a simulator guys, if you don't like it there's a little series called Grand Theft Auto you might like. Or if you insist that this is the game for you, you could try the arcade servers where you can drive as fast as you want and not crash into others.

Stick on a good song, sit back and vibe.

1004651805_TMPSignature.png.86dd3157944e03b174964e8d6a390341.png

They just like doing it, I guess. I stick to 90 most of the time. But the long stretches of highway on the old map can be a bit boring as they're all copy pasted (Germany or UK for example) I drive 110 there just to be over with it. I slow down for corners and around other players, of course.

But when driving in France, scandinavia or Eastern Europe I take my time. The map is more beautiful there. I don't see a need to zoom past it with high speeds.

Personally I don't really mind what speed people are driving. As long as they do it in a safe matter. If that's how they enjoy the game then who am I to judge

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

I do my best to keep to the speed limits in game. For me, I am looking to simulate driving a truck in the correct manner.

This also includes looking both ways at junctions when I can see players on my map. In a busy area this can take a little while before it being safe to pull out (much to the frustration of players behind me that probably just want to pull Infront of someone.

Driving slower and making sure I'm good to pull out are key things that help me to avoid accidents and slow me to have fun without impacting someone else's fun.

Something to think about though.

If a simulation is to simulate the real world, then you have to expect people to speed and for things to go wrong. On my drive to and from work each day, I see plenty of people racing around, plenty of people that get in the wrong lane just to cut everyone up at the end.

So without it, would it really be a simulation?

spacer.png

@sixtytwelve Sure that reckless drivers exist IRL too. The difference is that IRL, they are just a small percentage of the road traffic, while in this game and MP, specially in Simulation 1 server, they seem to be the rule. Driving most of the time at the roads posted speed limits, I don't overtake anyone, but I'm being constantly overtaken by lots of players who, obviously, are speeding. People going 30 Km/h over the limits all of the time is not so common IRL, and in MP this is what you see most of the time. Only because there's a hard 110 Km/h limit. Before this was set, you could see most of the time other drivers going even faster, 150 Km/h all of the time. Until they crashed, eventually.

That's the main difference with real life, in the game a crash doesn't have real consequences, other than the chance of being banned, no one goes to jail or loses their license for months, no one is actually hurt or dies, no one has to spend real money repairing their vehicles every day and the "fake money" can be cheated... So too many "drivers" don't give a **** because "It's just a game". They don't even try to play it as a simulator because that's not fun, that's not what they are looking for. Like I said, too many players see a driving game and for them, a driving game equals "Go as fast as you can, go faster than the other guy".

Speed is a controversial topic in this community.

IMO, driving at excessive speed doesn't belong into a truck simulation.

I drive according to real world road traffic rules and also follow European driving time and rest periods, because I want my experience to be as realistic as possible.

My driven speed depends not only on the above but also on road condition, weather condition, visibility, and of course on my truck,  trailer and cargo.

I follow the slogan "better safe than sorry".

Sometimes I run according to the road speed limit, after all, this is a simulation game, not a racing game

Kind regards
Shining Stars
TruckersMP -Driver

??China Express Transportation Chief Operating Officer??

Languages:   |  ??  ?? | 
Discord:
Shining Stars#4013  | steam| Forums | World of Trucks

I remember the times before Road To Simulation update when I was driving 150kph on the highway. Now I know this was bad. After Road To Simulation updates, I learned that driving max speed is very dangerous.

Now, I'm only driving max speed on the roads where is almost no players and it is boring to drive 60kph on straight empty road. On roads with bigger trafic density, I am driving up to 10kph above the road speed limit.

Archived