What chassis are the best for different kind of cargo

Dubbeledraaideur [NL]

There are multiple chassis in ETS2, the 4x2, 6x2, 6x4 and the 8x4.
But what chassis is recommended in IRL, for the amount of tonnes the trailer is weighting?

For towing the 61t locomotive I use the 8x4. And for a 5t trailer the 4x2.
But I can also tow a dozer of 39t with the 4x2. (Even the locomotive can be towed by a 4x2 not recommended tho lol ).

To improve my simulation experience, I would like to know: What is the weight limit you can tow with a 4x2, a 6x2/6x4 and a 8x4?

Hello there! 

Here is an idea, not absolute, but a good starting point for what will make a difference to your experience is to test until you reach the desired point.

That's an idea, I'm not an expert ?

lets go! 

Chassis:
One of the most important items to give your truck extra strength on that climb, carry heavy loads more easily and even to overcome some bugs in which you end up getting stuck and need another drive axle to get out of there.
Note that the chassis does not affect top speed, but acceleration, stability and traction.
Here is an explanation of the numbers that appear in their description: AxB / C Rear / Central

A = Total wheels on this chassis
B = Number of wheels with traction
C = Number of wheels that turn (If not written, it is 2, the front ones)
"Rear" or "Central" is an axle that can be raised to facilitate more tight turns (maneuverability). Give preference to the backs as they allow for tighter turns.

How to choose?

4x2: The cheapest, makes more tight turns, but it is also more likely to roll over a corner at high speed.
6x2: Much more stability, but it loses when it comes to closed curves.
6x2/4: Same stability, but with an extra steering axis, you can make more tight turns.
6x2 Rear: Good for dirt roads and to have the option to improve sharp turns. Unlike the Central, this axis you cannot "climb" at any time, only when you are without a trailer.
6x2 Central: For more tight turns it can become a 4x2.
6x4: Same as 6x2 in curves, but with an extra drive shaft, increases the acceleration. This extra acceleration allows you to reach maximum speed faster, being the most popular option.

Transmission:
Choosing a good transmission helps you carry heavier loads easier and with less effort. But this is a very complex topic that I will summarize only in: choose one with a retarder and do not take the 6-speed. Only take the ones from 16 onwards if you feel like taking a lot of heavy load, for normal use the ones from 12 are the most suitable. 

Legal limit for HGV in EU is 40 tonnes gross weight,  that is truck, trailer and cargo combined, most typical setup is 4x2 truck and triple axle (tridem) trailer.

Of course there are some exception which allows max weight up to 44 tonnes, some countries, namely Sweden, Norway and Finland allow even more, and also longer combinations which are over 60 tonnes, but they are are usually rigids with full size semi trailer attached via drawbar & dolly.

As for the UK prefference of 6x2 midlifts, as far as I know, this is mostly for lower taxes, while 6x2 taglifts or 6x4 in scandinavia are mostly matter of harsh weather conditions and longer and heavier combinations.

This is maximum axle load in tonnes for your typical HGV:

Front truck axle - 7,5 

Rear truck axle (4x2) - 11,5

Rear truck tandem axle - 7,5+10,5 (midlift), 10,5+8,5 (taglift), 10,5+10,5 (6x4)

Trailer tridem axle - 24 tonnes

As far as I know standard trucks are made for maximum gross weight of about 65 tonnes, but anything over 40 or 44 tonnes is on permit only, not counting scandinavia or doubles where allowed of course, and  8x4 trucks are specialized for really heavy stuff, for gross weight up to 250 tonnes.

In the game however, it is hard to determine axle loads, the weight in the freigt/cargo market is for cargo only, but all of the standard trailers and loads will not exceed 40 tonnes gross, so I would say they are all suitable for 4x2 trucks, or 6x2 if you prefer bit more stabilty and traction, probably good idea if you encounter any rough roads.

Newely added low loaders and low bed trailers are can be very heavy even empty, but with 3 axles they are pretty much standard trailers, unless they are extendable.

So, I would say use 6x2 and 6x4 for heavier low bed and load loader trailers, also doubles, depending on weight, but even locomotive, which is heaviest load can be pulled with 6x4, you don't need 8x4 for anything but special cargo which is not allowed on TruckersMP.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there.

I'm moving your topic to the Archive section because of your topic inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). Because every day a lot of new topics are creating and now the community wants to discuss a new discussion. We are applying this to keep the forum meticulously and actively in this way.

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me.  

Locked and Moved to Archive

Languages/Diller:  tr.gif (primary)gb.gif 

Useful Links/Önemli Bağlantılar: TruckersMP Rules/Kuralları | Recrutiment/İşe alım | Knowledge-base/Bilgi bankası  | Forum Warning System/Uyarı Sistemi: [TR] [ENG] 

Archived