TMP video platform?

Erik_L

Whats your opinion?

Should TMP start a video platform, for report clips?

I think a TMP video platform would be make reports on website a little bit more easier for the player, because you don't need a Youtube account or something like these...

And you can easier to safe "proof clips" from permanantly bans.

I don't think it would be necessary.

From a management point of view, it would be another platform that the development team would have to keep. Also, for the volume of evidence that would have to be stored, TMP would have to invest more in servers as such a platform uses a lot of storage and bandwidth.

As a full-stack developer, I've developed projects on which my customers preferred an existing video platform (not YouTube but more professional enterprise solutions) because of the upkeep cost for video processing servers. Of course, it depends on the project, as it can be more cost-effective to have a custom-built platform in some cases and I believe this is not one of those.

I think starting a new video platform is unnecessary and would only take time and money away from the staff focusing on it instead of the core of TruckersMP. Report clips can be set to unlisted on YouTube so they don't appear on a channel. Plus there are other video hosting sites as well that you can use instead if you don't like YouTube.

Good idea but...

Would be bad for a number of reasons:
1) Where is all this storage coming from?
2) Waste of time and money.
3) The report system still works perfectly well
and probably my best point,
4) Who above the age of 13 doesn't have a google account.

*qualified* in website production and graphic design

50 minutes ago, Erik_L said:

Hey,

I understand your arguments, but i think, its better for permanantly bans. :)

Yeah, for perm bans its a good argument but for everything else its not a good one imo. 

and I repeat my last point again though, does anyone who plays TMP not have a google account? and if not it would only take 5m out of your day and most people don't report anyways. I've had over 100 recordings but only ever reported 5 of them. 

But in summary, you have a great point about perm bans, but I suppose there is no other way of doing it.

*qualified* in website production and graphic design

A first-party video hosting site potentially has good intentions as like you say, people won't need to use other third-party software or websites if they don't have an account.

However, I see very little practical need for this as the majority of people would keep using their preferred software anyway. Making a YouTube account for example, is not hard and you can upload infinite clips to there with a lot of room for tweaking settings and video visibility. Streamable is also a good option in my opinion for quick clips, both incognito and logged in.

To conclude, I see where you're coming from and understand the potential appeal but I doubt that it would be needed or have any real practical use.

I've seen that many people also use Medal (Kinda like Windows Game Bar DVR or Nvidia Shadowplay) to record their gameplay when playing on TMP.

It basically allows you to upload the clip automatically after recording it, making reports quite stress free. 

The only disadvantage to it currently is that it doesn't really have an off switch, so it will record other games too.

Bare in mind that a video streaming service isn't super easy to develop or host either; It's a lot of data to both store and send, which is just more costly for TMP when most users are fine using something like YouTube or Medal.

2 minutes ago, seth_haveron said:

uploading reports on YT is actually a waste of time and money ... so this would not change at all. 

I believe they mean for TruckersMP themselves as they have significantly less infrastructure than Google (who host and develop YouTube).

TMP reports don't make up much of YouTube at all, an extremely insignificant amount.

It really isn't a waste of money for Google though, they get to serve ads to those that review the report.

In itself, this is a great idea, but TMP needs servers that have a large storage capacity. YouTube itself has servers that are equipped with several petabytes. Paying for this is very hard, especially we must remember that TMP is not a company, but all this is done voluntarily. I think this is a great idea, but we are better off with YouTube. 

Is just my opinion ;D 

It would be much easier to simply select a report from truckersmp viedeo platform. And in the case of a request for exemption, it would also be more advantageous. Without always looking for the link from youtube.

Kind regards,
[RSL] Julian [GER]
RSL Human Resources

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Manager

Hey there! 

Thank you for adding a topic to our forums. We greatly appreciate this! However, due to an inactivity of 14+ days, I must archive it. Please feel free to continue to make more topics in the future!

//Moved to Archive

1646005585_role_CommunityManager(1).png.          

Appeal your ban - Report a player - Create a feedback ticket

Archived