How do you feel about greeting passersby on the road?

BeaverTG

Well since I have been on, it's been pretty friendly and steady. In the real road, when we do, it's a quick honk if there is no other traffic. High beam flashing generally means the bubble gum machine is ahead (illegal in most states). But since that doesn't exist in TMP (unless it's Assassin getting chased by a truck), seems to be working. So that is what I began doing. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only playing the ATS-MP, where there are way fewer people around.

After greeting everyone initially, I have found that the majority neither greets, nor responds. So now I only greet back.

Which is perfectly fine; you also don't greet everyone you meet in RL, right?

And to be honest, most of the time I just want to be left alone.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, BeaverTG said:

I've been on TMP for over 5 years now, and one thing that I loved  while on the road was the fact that majority of the trucks who passed you by would greet you in some way- most commonly, through either flashing their lights, honking their horns, or both.

This practice is still very much alive, but I feel like it's degraded over the years. This is just in my experience though, so I wanted to ask my fellow community members a few questions regarding this matter.

1. How do you react to passersby? Do you honk, flash lights, chat, etc?
2. In your experience, how do passersby react to you? Any reaction at all?
3. What is your opinion on this practice? Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it?

For me:
1. I usually honk and flash my lights. These days, with the horn bug, I flash my lights more than I honk. During holiday times, like Christmas/New Year's, I usually drop a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year" in the chat as well.

2. In my experience, passersby usually flash their lights. These days, there are alot who don't react at all.

3. I honestly think that this is a very tiny but significant gesture. At this point, I'd claim that it's a part of TMP culture because of my experience as a community member. Personally, having other truckers acknowledge your existence as you pass them by, and then returning the favor cheers me up ?. It's a very quick gesture that anyone can do.

How about you?

1. I sometimes do honk or flash the lights when I see a passerby, but I agree that with the horn bug most people have stopped greeting in some way.

2. When I do some kind of greeting I usually flash my lights, some of them try to honk or flash lights or might just not do anything. Although I have encountered someone talking in the CB and mention my name but couldn't understand what they said as it was in another language.

3. I hope that more players started greeting with the sounds bug fixed with the latest update and I do enjoy doing it.

spacer.png

Usually when I see someone on the road I wont do anything unless I know them, at that point I usually will flash my brights and honk a bit. Now if someone I dont know reacts to me I will usually flash back at them or something of the sort. Back when I played only ATS I used to go as far as talking with people on CB 19. Made some great friends by doing that.

It varies honestly, In American Truck (US SIM) Most of EVERYONE will honk and even go as far as saying have a good drive on CB 

I personally love it as it adds a special touch the game being able to say hi to fellow truckers

Hello!

This is a nice topic, for me it's as followed;

1. I mostly only flash my lights. However, if the other person honks I will give them a honk back.

2. A lot of the time it's a mixed bag between them honking and flashing at me.

3. I think it's a good practise. It just shows that we enjoying seeing others truckers on the roads. Like we're all connected!

Chief Technology Officer & Developer for Freightway.

This is a great discussion you've started. I'm getting my 6 years on TruckersMP full next summer. I don't think I can reliably say the culture of greeting each other has deteriorated over the years. What I've noticed is the cultural differences between ETS2 MP and ATS MP. On ATS CB is more commonly used to greet others and wish them a nice journey than horn or lights, which are more common on ETS2. Even one journalist that drove on ATS to get in touch with people from the USA during this pandemic instantly took notice of the way people greeted each other. I won't be linking the article because it covered the presidential election. If you are interested, drop me a message here or on Discord.

Now, to answer your questions.

1. I used to greet pretty much everyone in the beginning, but nowadays I rather react to others greeting me. If I see the occasional great looking truck or someone I recognize, then I'll flash my lights first or honk. I don't really have a preferred method of greeting. I guess I also tend to be a bit shallow person, because if something about the person greeting me annoys me, be it the chrome monstrosity they are driving, beacons they have on for no reason among others, I may not greet them back.

On ATS I try to respond in the chat if someone greeted me on the CB, unless I couldn't make sense of what they said thanks to the music blaring into my ears. I've been thinking about getting on the CB more myself despite my shyness. It does feel great when someone wishes you a good trip, so I might as well be the one myself.

2. Well, I react to them whenever I'm quick enough. The times I greet someone first, they either respond or don't.

3. I don't hate it as long as you don't have your horn key glued down. I do enjoy it, especially when someone gets on the CB to greet me. One aspect I don't like is that in the dark my flashing high beams due to someone not switching off theirs are mistaken as a greeting.

Ready to go!

1. How do you react to passersby? | I usually horn but can also flash lights often.
2. In your experience, how do passersby react to you? Any reaction at all? | Most of them use their horn while some swerve into me and then get back into their lane ?
3. What is your opinion on this practice? Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it? | I really love it as it makes the community involved in the game and we can easily make some friends.

Usually i don't greet other drivers first. But if i see that they send a short flash light or a friendly greeting over the radio, i will respond them.

It depends. Most of the drivers are reacting on a greeting.

A friendly greeting is ok and i enjoy it also, at least if you saw nobody on the last couple kilometres. But please, shut down your horn and use flash lights. ?

1. How do you react to passersby? Do you honk, flash lights, chat, etc?| Of course,I would say hello to almost every passing player,I always use flash lights.?

2. In your experience, how do passersby react to you? Any reaction at all?| If they saw it, they would respond by flashing lights, but only about half of them would respond.:thisisfine:

3. What is your opinion on this practice? Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it?| I think it's very polite to say hello, so I agree with it.I enjoy it.?

Great topic.. I literally started playing TMP last night and started to notice people flashing and honking as i was driving around.  I of course started doing the same back after a while and I think it's a fantastic element which is often sadly lacking in multiplayer games.

Now I know it's definitely a "thing", I'll definitely be doing it more often!

I honk and flashlight everytime when someone passes me.

The most are answering with Flashlights and Honk but often there are People who dont do anythings.

I love it, the feeling is really Heartwarming, you can feel the Community thrue this. :)

I mostly flash light at them, but sometimes I horn. 

If I horn or flash light at them first, half of them do the same back. But the other half doesn't do anything. 

It's really nice to see that truckers horn or flash light at each other to say hi. That makes the community amazing! It cheers me up when someone horns at me :) 

Kind regards,

Loexie   

Bruijn Logistics | Driver

YouTube / Instagram / Twitter

Well I can see that most ppl are reacting with flashing lights when I do the same, when I honk my horn like it's burning, yeah, they honk too. Not all though, some ppl are just lazy passersby or are otherwise distracted from the road. Maybe it's my shiny Truck Skin they are so into that they forget to greet? Who knows! :P

Love, Linny

On 2/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, StateCA (NL) said:

Well now that FMOD has been fixed, i've been honking at everybody again ?

Ha! Same here!

Great topic.. I literally started playing TMP last night and started to notice people flashing and honking as i was driving around.  I of course started doing the same back after a while and I think it's a fantastic element which is often sadly lacking in multiplayer games.

Now I know it's definitely a "thing", I'll definitely be doing it more often!

@NoFriendsOnline Welcome to TMP! I'm glad that you've confirmed your discovery, and I'm happy that you have a positive attitude towards it! I agree that it's a fantastic element that's unfortunately lacking in multiplayer games. Good luck to you on your journeys!

• 2 weeks later...

1. How do you react to passersby? Do you honk, flash lights, chat, etc?

Everytime I’m greeted with this scenario, I always flash my lights if they are in front of me and honk so they can hear it if they have gone past. 

The majority of Passersby I’ve seen normally just honk back to be fair and the rest don’t bother. 

3. What is your opinion on this practice? Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it?

My opinions on this practice are that I love how passersby will greet you. It gives a warm touch as if to say “I wish you a safe journey almost”.

- Ky_James✌

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Hello there,

Since your topic has been inactive for fourteen (14) days, I will move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager

Archived