How do you feel about greeting passersby on the road?

BeaverTG

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I usually honked at people. But now I am just sticking with flashing my lights due to the sound bug. And I never used the radio because I have it turned off most of the time.

Personally I also feel like people greet each other less than they used to. But I am hoping the cause of that is the sound bug, and not a change in culture. I still get a lot of people flashing back at me. Especially in Scandinavia or Beyond Baltic Sea.

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

1. How do you react to passersby? Do you honk, flash lights, chat, etc?

-> Usually I trumpets, and sometimes I blinks at night.
2. In your experience, how do passersby react to you? Any reaction at all?

-> They're honking my way too, or they just won't notice me honking.
3. What is your opinion on this practice? Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it?

-> I like how other drivers make such gestures.

I absolutely love doing that. I turned to doing ProMods jobs mainly, and there’s been times where I meet just one person on a 4500km long haul. (excluding Death Road visitors and that only if I start at Kirkenes)

Sometimes I don’t even see one. So I often try to get that guy’s attention as if I’ve been lost since forever and I am finally seeing civilisation.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, BeaverTG said:

Back in the days I used to honk. But with the horn-bug I'm not doing that much anymore. I try to flash with my lights from time to time, but I'm also aware of when I do it. Cause some drivers also uses flashing the light to indicate if the driver coming towards you is doing something wrong. So it can quickly be mis-read as me telling someone that they're breaking the rules. I from time to time also write o/ in the chat. But it really depends on the situation cause I'm still not the best at typing and driving at the same time. So in congested areas, or if I'm overtaking or being overtaken by someone I don't use the chat that much.

Over the last year it has become fewer and fewer drivers that greets I would say. Actually sometimes I get greeted by flashing lights, but don't greet back bc I just get so surprised that I don't get to flash my lights back before the driver has passed me.

I like being greeted, and like to greet drivers. But at a point if you have greeted several drivers and haven't been greeted back ones you start to sometimes forget to do it.

spacer.png | spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I always like to greet people on the road like hello in the chat if possible or honk horn / blink the lights as its always great to meet new people while driving :) 

In respect to people greeting me on the road sometimes happens depends who it is and where it is usually you meet people you know of who will say hello 

On 1/2/2021 at 10:51 PM, Waypalm said:

I'll usually flash my lights at someone if it's a quiet area, about 1 in 5 will respond by flashing their lights back or honking. Seems small but definitely adds to the immersion and feeling of community.

Me too agree with u

1) I normally flash, never really use the horn much when greeting.

2) It's extremly common to get someone who flashes back.

3) I like it, I did it from day 1 on TMP and I like the memories of when I didn't know what save editing was and my profile was legit.

*qualified* in website production and graphic design

Well now that FMOD has been fixed, i've been honking at everybody again ?

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

I usually flash my lights twice if it's my friend I use chat.

Everyone is different but %75 of people don't react back. 

I think it's a nice practise if someone greets me  end of a long journey. 

I usually only greet if I'm greeted first. (Unless I know them). If I pass by someone and they honk, or flash their lights I'll do the same. Otherwise I'll just keep on driving. 

An interesting question, as FMOD meant that honking at people wasn't really possible! I think this converted quite a lot of people to using their lights instead, or perhaps even saying "hi" or "o/" in chat.

Now with sounds fixed and all the hype around that I think that horns will come back into fashion quite easily what with it being the natural way of greeting people.

For me personally I tend not to greet people unless I'm in a super good mood, or I know them. But if I know them, I'll tend to say hello in chat anyway and leave a honk or a flash unless it's convenient.

1. I usually either honk or short flash drivers from the oncoming traffic.

2. Most of them do react when I salute them but there are some who do not make any gesture at all, I am not affected by that however.

3. I like this practice because it unites the drivers and it improves the relationships in this community. 

As a small fact, I consider that drivers on ATS MP are more friendly than those on ETS2 MP. I guess it's because the roads are way more empty and seeing another truck on the road is a happy and rare event?.

This is what I usually do towards others, I flash a little before I see them, once they pass I press the horn two times lightly and continue my journey afterwards :)

Robin.  

Dutch-English | Sign Language

Useful links:  

TruckersMP Rules | Report System | Appealing a ban | TruckersMP Map

I usually flash the hi-beam in daytime, in night time I use horn as hi-beam is often used in roads with no street lamp . I hardly chat coz I use keyboard to drive which is hard to keep control while using chatbox.

Mostly they may flashlight or honk back. Some has no reaction.

I actually don't care too much on this. If someone reacts, it showed they heard my message and replied in a friendly way.  Otherwise I think they may not have time or energy to do so. Whatever react or not, it doesn't matter to me, unless there is someone ramming me on purpose.

Archived