Suggestion to limit high ping kicks (600ms ping average)

Suggestion Name: Suggestion to limit high ping kicks (600ms ping average)

Suggestion Description: I've been getting kicked very often for the past few days because my wifi has been unstable and I often get a ping spike that lasts 2-3 seconds and plus I live in the US and playing on an EU server I have 150 ping average so even just 2-3 seconds of a ping spike can kick me from the server and it's very annoying. I have a suggestions on limiting it such as when players aren't nearby or when driving at a low speed. First off you can't get kicked for ping at all in an arcade server or non collision zone. For normal servers this is how it will work: It will be based on how fast you're driving and how close other players are to you. I'm not sure if it can be made so the distance thing can only apply to those behind you rather than oncoming traffic too. I understand that could be hard to code so if you can't that's alright. At 85 km/h or above you can't get kicked if someone is at least 110m away from you. From 70-85 km/h you can't get kicked if someone is 85m away. From 50-70 km/h you can't get kicked if someone is 60m away from you. 50 km/h or below you can't get kicked at all because at that speed players can easily brake or react to you lagging back at that low speed.

Any example images: Not needed

Why should it be added?: It would definitely make it easier for those on wifi so we aren't getting kicked for high ping in situations where the high ping won't affect others like in lower populated areas and at city speeds.

• Upvote 4

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey,

The nature of TruckersMP means that we have to enforce a minimum connection quality level due to the potential impact it can have on other people. 

However, I can totally understand not wanting to have a ping auto-kick on Arcade servers. I will raise this.

• 1 month later...

This would definitely be a good idea, but i don't know if they can program this, or if they can, they would need to change the distance system i think, because the current one doesn't distinguish between ongoing and outgoing traffic.
I think that if they do this, they will apply this for every vehicles distance, no matter the direction. However, for security and performance reasons, it would be reccomended to always add an auto-kick system without respecting all those circumstancies, especially when you exceed 750-800 ms of ping to avoid performance issues due to informations not being processed in time.

However, i'll upvote this, as it seems a good idea. It just needs some adjustments.

upvote.png.a3689140b4588a31d98a2b64c2f02595.png

In general, tweaking the high-ping kick system to handle certain situations differently may well be beneficial. Some of us are limited to wifi connections, and for ETS, the EU servers are established as the place-to-be regardless of one's physical location.

For me personally (playing non-arcade in Germany via wifi), the current system already works quite well. On very rare occasions, it kicks me when my ping spikes significatly and exceeds the threshold for relatively short, but still slightly too long, period of time. This is understandable and fine as it happens so rarely. Nonetheless, having the connection kept alive a little longer, e.g. in non-collision zones or when noone else is around at all, would be cool. Perhaps "simply" increasing the duration of a ping to be long enough to trigger the kick under those conditions would already help.

However, I'm not in favor of completely disabling the high-ping kick for any speed ranges or map zones outside of arcarde. While avoiding collisions may be feasible at slower speeds, players constantly having a massive ping can impede a smooth drive and, in general, doesn't feel immersive.

• 2 weeks later...

600ms is incredibly high in terms of sync based multiplayer games.
There is a lot of fixes and workarounds out there, even for small money (f.e. Ethernet over power), and i already see enough lagging around with the 600ms limit.

Against it, sim1 is already too arcade without that change.