Patreon Benefit suggestion

HvyHitter

In my professional life I previously was a Director of Network Operations for a City (12 years) . I get the cost of what I am suggestion.  Now I am an Exec for a Non Profit media company that has members (7 years) so I am constantly thinking of ideas for revenue generation now . I think I have an idea for here that will add to the user experience as well as generate some significant revenue that will offset the cost of the suggestion as well as provide a higher stream of cash flow.

Suggestion Name: Patreon Anti-Idle Timer Benefit. (Yes I know stick with me)

Suggestion Description: I would suggest that the Master Trucker level $5 per month get a 1 hour anti-idle timer.

Any example images: Not needed it is a concept.

Why should it be added?: Immersion, I REALLY enjoy sitting at a truck stop and hearing other truckers go by. Also I am 50 years old. 10 minutes isnt enough for me to go to the bathroom and get a cup of coffee. I might want to stop and google something I just saw in the scenery or some idea I just thought of. I like the idea of having an hour before I get kicked. It gives me some time I mean frankly. I think 20 minutes would suffice for 99% of my needs but I think a hour is a good number. Maybe give the other tiers some more time? I think this is a really good tangible benefit for patreon members and I think it will drive donor numbers. I have seen the topic mentioned before in the regular suggestions but never in here. (I searched to make sure my idea is unique) I get it. Bandwidth costs money. Extra people on the network creates more traffic. You guys pay per the resources consumed. You are very attuned to keeping TruckersMP quick responsive and reliable. I do not mind paying 5 bucks a month. I don't think I would be generating anywhere near the 5 dollar amount in extra traffic. I have seen the idea get shot down before and it makes sense. people idling costs money. That is why I think the Master Trucker level should get this 1 hour timer. You probably have some coding to do but this way is pretty simple.

5 dollars is a steal for the entertainment you guys offer. Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As much as I want to support this, at the end of the day, I still believe that this is a terrible idea.

The afk kick is there to allow the servers to remove inactive players, so that active ones can join.

In the peak times when the servers are full, an extension to the afk kick would cause the queue to be much larger, therefore reducing the quality of the experience for non Patrons.

The current afk timer already seems a bit oversized to me - I think a 5 minute one would be more appropriate for Sim1, however lots of events take place on the other servers, so they benefit largely from the long afk kick timer.

The one thing that I definitely believe is that Patrons shouldn't have an extended afk kick timer as most people wouldn't benefit from that, and it encourages people to leave the game open (taking a slot that could be used by someone else) in scenarios when they usually should close the game and relaunch.

• Upvote 2

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a great idea. Definitely makes the master trucker tier more appealing. I would say however that an hour maybe a little too much. Thirty minutes would pry be a bit better. And yes while it does take up a slot on the server, the extra revenue from added patrons would make them and to add more slots to the existing servers or an extra server. 

+1

I understand that the increased bandwidth of staying connected would be covered by the monthly master patreon fee.

But frankly I find it unfair to players that cannot afford patreon and consequently can't get a slot on the server because a master patreon wants to stay connected while having a shit and/ or enjoying his/her coffee.

• Upvote 1

This idea is great in theory but when it comes down to it especially during the weekend this will effect the waiting queu to join a server. I still think this is a good idea. but maybe not 1 hour.

I think 30 minutes or even 20 minutes is good enough. With this additional time you can easily go to the bathroom go and get your coffee I think personally it will releave some of the oh no I will be kicked soon have to move fast idea.

As much as I can appreciate why this might be beneficial to easing your lives. If you are not driving then simply leave and re-join when you are back. At the end of the day, yes you are benefitting TMP through your pledges but we should not be disregarding other players joining because you want to go for a break. It does not take very much time to log out and log back into the game and therefore I don't see a lot of reasoning for this idea and as a result I am not very supportive - though I can see its benefits. -1

• Upvote 1

Love the idea.

However, I fear it's not a useful feature.

1. To avoid the afk kick all you have to do is: press y > spacebar > enter.

2. Some players who really are afk just use a program to automatically generate a message and avoid the afk kick.

Taking those two things into consideration, there might not be a real benefit for patreons to have an extended afk timer. So i'd have to give it a -1  for now.

• Awesome! 1

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

Why should it be added?: Immersion, I REALLY enjoy sitting at a truck stop and hearing other truckers go by. Also I am 50 years old. 10 minutes isnt enough for me to go to the bathroom and get a cup of coffee. I might want to stop and google something I just saw in the scenery or some idea I just thought of. I like the idea of having an hour before I get kicked. It gives me some time I mean frankly. I think 20 minutes would suffice for 99% of my needs but I think a hour is a good number. Maybe give the other tiers some more time? I think this is a really good tangible benefit for patreon members and I think it will drive donor numbers. I have seen the topic mentioned before in the regular suggestions but never in here. (I searched to make sure my idea is unique) I get it. Bandwidth costs money. Extra people on the network creates more traffic. You guys pay per the resources consumed. You are very attuned to keeping TruckersMP quick responsive and reliable. I do not mind paying 5 bucks a month. I don't think I would be generating anywhere near the 5 dollar amount in extra traffic. I have seen the idea get shot down before and it makes sense. people idling costs money. That is why I think the Master Trucker level should get this 1 hour timer. You probably have some coding to do but this way is pretty simple.

First of all, it's a game; you neither lose money nor gain by staying in-game. If you're pretty slow at getting a cup of coffee or go to the bathroom, you can just disconnect and reconnect when you're back. It's pointless to have idling and AFK players, sometimes I'm having to do such things as well, which may take more than the actual idling time, and I'm doing the same thing. It takes just a couple of minutes to start the game and continue driving; even if you don't have an SSD, it does take maximum five minutes. It just takes your time, but it costs money to TruckersMP. Most of the players do not have powerful computers; passing-by trucks do have FPS drops meanwhile you're getting your coffee.

5 dollars is a steal for the entertainment you guys offer. 

To speak for myself, I'm not paying for the perks. I consider it as a donation. I'd pay the same amount or more if there were no perks. The only two reasons I stay as Patron are TruckersMP is a community that I support, and I love to be its part of. 

Downvoting.

76561198178929243.png

Full-Stack Web Developer

Im my personal opinion 1 hour is a bit too much i think, if you need 1 hour to do something it's more logical to turn off the game and get back 1 hour later, for many reasons, some examples are in the previous replys,

Maybe for patreons the afk timer could be upgraded to 20 min, so the double of the initial timer ?

Dunno what is the number of patreons on TMP, so don't know how much eventually is the impact of this change

spacer.png _raffaele_ spacer.png

• 1 month later...

I agree 100% with you. Even tho we are Patrons by choice, it would be nice to have a few perks to make us feel happier in supporting + attracting new Patrons. Imo, AFK kicks should be removed entirely for Master Tuckers and increased by 20 and 30 min to the lower options. Devs/Project Coordinators: Please consider this.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Your suggestion doesn't consider players who can't afford Patreon.
They have to wait in queue because a Patreon decided to stay connected while having lunch.
Does this sound fair to you?

There are not that many Patreons, it wouldn't affect you. 

3 hours ago, azuly said:

There are not that many Patreons, it wouldn't affect you. 

I'm not referring to me but to players who can't afford to spend money.

Why can't you support TruckersMP without a compensation?
And if you need additional benefits so badly, can't you at least pick ones that don't discriminate others?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

I'm not referring to me but to players who can't afford to spend money.

Why can't you support TruckersMP without a compensation?
And if you need additional benefits so badly, can't you at least pick ones that don't discriminate others?

Just wondering.

As I said in my message, I donate voluntary but certain advantages would incentive other users to also donate and help the project. That was an example of feature that, in my opinion, is very reasonable. 

• 2 months later...

To be fair I think that the AFK timer should as you say be extended.

Whether that be a patreon only thing or not (I'd say 15 mins, 20 at a push is plenty to go toilet, grab a drink/snack), however 60 minutes is far too long. If you like sitting at a rest place and watching the trucks then that is fine maybe after a few minutes take your truck to a different parking spot which in turn resets the afk countdown.

~warbear~

On 5/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, Azuly said:

As I said in my message, I donate voluntary but certain advantages would incentive other users to also donate and help the project. That was an example of feature that, in my opinion, is very reasonable. 

All patreons donate voluntary.

That's the whole idea of patronage.

Non-Patreons mustn't suffer any disadvantage from Patreon benefits.

Making them wait in a queue for the sake of the comfort of a patreon is discriminating and therefore not reasonable at all.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

All patreons donate voluntary.

That's the whole idea of patronage.

Non-Patreons mustn't suffer any disadvantage from Patreon benefits.

Making them wait in a queue for the sake of the comfort of a patreon is discriminating and therefore not reasonable at all.

You are not suffering from anything. The queues are not that long and usually take no longer than 2 minutes.